Engine swap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap!!

I have just got a spare engine and I am going to fit it soon, but what is the best way to do it, its a 673cc IL4 and not exactly light. Any tips would be welcome, I have done 125cc and 50cc engine swaps in the past, but this is a different beast!!

get a mate to help you is the easiest option, although it is not an impossible job to tackle on your own
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

How long roughly do you think it would take to swap it out & has anyone got any tips?

Cheers in advance.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
        How long roughly do you think it would to swap it out & has anyone got any tips?
        That depends a lot on whether you have help and how well-organized your work area is.

A couple of years ago, I returned from one of my work assignments about 11:30 on Sunday morning. By 12:10, there was help in the driveway and wrenches started flying. About 12:20 a second body arrived followed by more, at about 1:00, 2:30 and 3:00. We had the engine out of my son's 650L rather quickly, then had to remove the lower half of an engine from another frame and transfer it. Then we added the cylinders and heads that came in another box and re-installed the carbs that came off the first engine. Wasn't quite ready to fire at 6:00, but it wasn't due to the help I had, we were missing one part that needed to be replaced.

With one helper and a good work area, plan on at least 8 hours the first time around. As you get better at it, you can probably shave a few hours off of that.

The "help" crew included Cowboyup3371, Pano, Dogma, TheCafeKid, kparkfan and Mrs. kparkfan.

The bike has undergone a few changes since they saw it last, you can see the latest itteration by clicking on the link in my sig. Still a few details left, but it's rideable and he is saving for the last bit of stuff to be added.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Take your time prepping the old engine to come out. Unless you're unusually lucky you can expect loads of seized bolts / nuts etc so give them a good soaking with penetrating oil etc a day or so in advance. The exhaust bolts in particular may well give you some grief - not so critical if you're not worried about snapping them off in the old head but you'll obviously need replacements to hand.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you can find help, remove everything possible so the removal process will take the least time. Since it is a shaftie, that includes whatever that is connected to. Also the ignition, charging system, carbs, exhaust system, engine mounting bolts, etc.
            While it is true they are not lightweights, I have installed the engine in my 750 GPz by myself before. I did it by installing the cylinder block after the engine was installed in the frame. So, if the cylinder block can be removed while in the frame, remove the head and cylinder block also.

Comment

Don't do it like this:

GS1100 Engine Removal - How not to do it.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
              X