Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0IV...ature=youtu.be

Here's a short video of my 1980 GS1000G. I took it right after riding around for a bit so the bike is nice and warm, idling around 1000 RPM.

I feel like at anything below 1100 RPM there is a distinct rattle in the engine. This sound goes away when throttling above 1100.

I changed the oil recently and everything looked clean. No metal flakes, nothing like that.

I'm still making my way through the tune-up and will pull the carbs again shortly. I'm just curious as to whether or not this is a noise I should be overly concerned about (potential bearing failure, etc.).

Thanks!

Did you tighten down the header after a few heat cycles?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Did you tighten down the header after a few heat cycles?
      No I did not. Are you saying this is just excess noise escaping the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by poorgradstudent View Post
        No I did not. Are you saying this is just excess noise escaping the engine?
        It's possible.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

The bike should be idling at 1100-1200 not 1000 RPM, also if you installed the header it appears that you are a little on the lean side with the bluing of the pipes. To me it sounds like a Suzuki inline idling to low.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

it appears that you are a little on the lean side with the bluing of the pipes.
            I hate to sound ignorant but are you saying the fuel/air mixture is off and the bike is running to hot?

So it all goes back to the improper carb tune-up?

Comment

So it all goes back to the improper carb tune-up?
              Possibly, but not necessarily.

There definitely is a tick in there and it seemed more noticeable as you moved to the front of the engine. I'd almost go as far as to say the exhaust cam valve train but it could be rattley pipes too. Try tightening down the headers again then up the idle as suggested.

Have you tried a stethoscope? Most auto stores carry them and they are not too expensive. Unlike one for humans, the auto type have a metal probe at the end which you touch to the engine. It will transfer a clearer picture of where the noise is coming from. Cheaper yet, you can use a long handled screw driver or even a piece of coat hanger wire or steel rod.

Let us know what you find.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

It's an air cooled motor, some noise is normal. Just make sure the valves are adjusted and the carbs are synced. Turn the mixture screw out 2 1/2 to 3 turns

Comment

Just had similar issues with mine. Open the oil filler cap when it is idling:

This is most probably cam chain rattle which requires a tensioner overhaul (see BassCliff site).

Also sounds like carbs out of balance like this:

listen to the sound of the engine before and after synching.

Also see here: GS1100G Blog Road Runner

Another possibility I am looking at (if cam chain tensionser overhaul does not work) is clutch backing plate spring rattle. Tons of threads about clutch rattle on here.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Wow! Thanks guys!

I called my grandpa and he reminded me that the chain tensioner did need adjusting. He told me there was a sound to look out for but I had no idea what he was talking about at the time.

I'll investigate further and report back.

Comment

Wow! Thanks guys!

I called my grandpa and he reminded me that the chain tensioner did need adjusting. He told me there was a sound to look out for but I had no idea what he was talking about at the time.

I'll investigate further and report back.
                      These bikes have automatic cam chain tensioners.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        These bikes have automatic cam chain tensioners.
                        Right, but can't the tensioner go bad over time? I'll have to replace it right?

Comment

Right, but can't the tensioner go bad over time? I'll have to replace it right?
                          They hardly fail, just leak.

Comment

Sounds like my 1000G when the idle is to low, set the idle proper and sync the carbs it will be fine
                            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Very hard to tell from a video. Post a location, there are probably some forum members in your area that could help you figure it out.
                              Does the noise change at all with the clutch pulled in?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X