82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, Ed!

Does that 4-1 have to come off in order to access the oil filter?

I wonder if a chrome chain guard would fit on my E...
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Oil Change

Originally posted by eil View Post
      Looking good, Ed!

Does that 4-1 have to come off in order to access the oil filter?

I wonder if a chrome chain guard would fit on my E...
      Thanks Charles!

No, the pipes do not need to come off. Bill recommended I put a liner/rag to protect the pipes under the oil filter. I'll make sure to let the engine/pipes cool down before draining.

I don't know about the chrome chain guard...I don't have a spare one.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The pipes look great and it must sound sweet!!

After all you've done, the cam chain tensioner will be a piece of cake. Just did mine last weekend.

Comment

Cct

Originally posted by Hilvhendo View Post
          The pipes look great and it must sound sweet!!

After all you've done, the cam chain tensioner will be a piece of cake. Just did mine last weekend.
          Thanks Dude!

BTW, Please give me some guidance on the tensioner...pics too!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
            Thanks Dude!

BTW, Please give me some guidance on the tensioner...pics too!

Ed
            Yeah for some reason, it looks like the PO put JB weld on it, it's solid as a rock and the spring pulls right off. What some folks do to a bike I told Ed when I saw it. We just shook our heads. *^$@! idiots lol.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I just followed the fine tutorial done by bwringer...http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html as referenced on BikeCliff's website...tells you what parts to buy and great pics!

The tutorial is done so well, no sense reinventing the wheel so I did not take pictures on me doing it myself...gotta love this forum!!

Comment

BassCliff's Site

Originally posted by Hilvhendo View Post
                I just followed the fine tutorial done by bwringer...http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html as referenced on BikeCliff's website...tells you what parts to buy and great pics!

The tutorial is done so well, no sense reinventing the wheel so I did not take pictures on me doing it myself...gotta love this forum!!
                Duh, I guess I shoulda researched that. You're right...no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'll post pics when I get all the parts needed. I've been ordering all my OEM Parts from partsoutlaw.com. Mike does his best to get a quick turnaround on shipping parts.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ride on Holloman AFB

Here's some pics of the bracket I was telling you about that came with my V&H Pipes. Bill reminded me about it and I figured out how it was to be seated.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Seaping

Right side shows no sign of seapage....

Left side...just a tad...

There's the bracket I told you about that prevents the center stand from hitting the chain...shocks look/feel great!

Love me that V&H Pipe!

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Uh-oh, Leaking Oil Pan

Update on the oil pan and pipes...

This is the left side where the original leak was coming from. I'll re-torque the bolts and see if they keep their tightness. What do you suppose I need to do to keep them from loosening?

The right side does not have any leaks...good thing too because it would be dripping on the pipe.

Here's something else I have to fix. The screw did not want to go in all the way so Bill's idea was to add spacers/washers.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-10-2014, 02:19 AM.
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Im interested to hear the leak solution. When I had my header repaired 2 years ago, I took the opportunity to replace the pan gasket with a new Suzuki gasket. It still leaks slightly. I put it on with a very slight skim coat of black permatex- the stuff that comes in a squeeze tube.
                        It still leaks slightly. Of 3 GSs ive owned, 2 have had weeping oilpan gaskets.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Dang still got that left side seep Ed? Is that drain plugging seeping as well? It shouldn't, tighten down a bit more. I checked that pan to make sure it was flat and straight. Didn't show any signs of be slightly warpped. Yeah don't forget, you want to use a thread chaser to fix that one header bolt.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Dang still got that left side seep Ed? Is that drain plugging seeping as well? It shouldn't, tighten down a bit more. I checked that pan to make sure it was flat and straight. Didn't show any signs of be slightly warpped. Yeah don't forget, you want to use a thread chaser to fix that one header bolt.
                            I think I need to add the blue sealant like I did for the front brake caliper; to get a better seal. For now, I will tighten the bolts until I find the time to:

1. Drain the oil/replace the spring that needs to go in front of the filter
                            2. Remove the pipes
                            3. Apply blue sealant to oil pan bolts
                            4. Thread chase one of the header bolts
                            5. Fill oil and re-install pipes

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Im interested to hear the leak solution. When I had my header repaired 2 years ago, I took the opportunity to replace the pan gasket with a new Suzuki gasket. It still leaks slightly. I put it on with a very slight skim coat of black permatex- the stuff that comes in a squeeze tube.
                            It still leaks slightly. Of 3 GSs ive owned, 2 have had weeping oilpan gaskets.
                            I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for stopping by DB!

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              I think I need to add the blue sealant like I did for the front brake caliper; to get a better seal. For now, I will tighten the bolts until I find the time to:

1. Drain the oil/replace the spring that needs to go in front of the filter
                              2. Remove the pipes
                              3. Apply blue sealant to oil pan bolts
                              4. Thread chase one of the header bolts
                              5. Fill oil and re-install pipes

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for stopping by DB!

Ed
                              Hmmm, not sure you need to remove the pipe, just take it loose and take the megaphone off. That should give you enough room to get to the pan bolts.
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Megaphone Action

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                Hmmm, not sure you need to remove the pipe, just take it loose and take the megaphone off. That should give you enough room to get to the pan bolts.
                                Thanks Bill. You're always saving me some extra work. GOOD LOOKIN' OUT!

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X