No announcement yet.

82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tightened the oil pan bolts as well as the drain plug bolt tonight. Also cleaned up inside the fwd sprocket area...I can't seem to pinpoint where the small remnants of oil is coming from. Looked at the Gear Shift area again and I have to ask myself a question...

Do I want to replace the seal? That would mean removing the clutch basket to remove the gear shifting shaft and clutch claw?

I think the oil is coming from the oil pan and just migrating to areas within the undercarriage as I ride.

I'll continue to clean...this is a 32 year old bike and needs lots of TLC. I sure have been enjoying the rides to work the past two weeks. Yep, I've neglected my SUV and loaded my backpack each morning with my portable breakfast/coffee/gym clothes.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I hate leaks of any type, they just drive me stupid. Had one on my bike until I tracked it down. It was the seal on the tach unit in the valve cover. At one time, it looked like the valve cover gasket was puking oil all over the front of the motor. I just discovered a very very small seep at the bottom of my left case cover. No drips yet...
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Reality

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        I hate leaks of any type, they just drive me stupid. Had one on my bike until I tracked it down. It was the seal on the tach unit in the valve cover. At one time, it looked like the valve cover gasket was puking oil all over the front of the motor. I just discovered a very very small seep at the bottom of my left case cover. No drips yet...
        Can the engine case (all the sections of the engine) have stress cracks? Nothing really noticeable until YOU start cleaning parts on the underside.

I'm glad I don't push my bike too hard...usually just 7K RPMs in 5th gear...which separates me from traffic real quick.

At that speed, I'm lookin' to get a fork brace to add stability to the lower portion of the front wheel. I've got to do some measurements but I think it's do-able.

Also, I would like to do the 530 conversion before I leave New Mexico. Do I want top end or bottom end improvement?--The difference between accelerating off the mark quickly or keeping the original ratio and better gas mileage.

We'll see.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

13 April 2014 - Quick Ride & ID Oil Leak

Still have that oil leak even after I tightened the left-side oil pan bolts and the drain plug.

Ed
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Leak Check - 13 April 14

I think I found the culprit. After I lightly tightened both of the bolts on the crankcase, there were air bubbles coming out of one of them. Trust me...I did not put too much torque on the turn.

Here's a play-by-play:

Opened the crankcase cover...

Here's the leak on the kickstand...

The leak is on the left side...which is good because my new pipes are on the other side.

Nice and dry on the right side...no damage to the pipes!

Check out this air bubble...I immediately stopped torquing the bolt.

Location on the crankcase...

Looks like I found the source of my leak...now what?

Ed

EDIT: I cleaned up the area/wiped it all down once the bubbling stopped. I'm going to ride for the 3rd week in a row to work and check for leaks. (12 miles one way)
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-14-2014, 07:16 AM.
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

No Leaks - 14 Apr 2014

Pics from this morning...proud to report NO LEAKS!

Keep your fingers crossed for me...that I fixed it!!!

The underside is clean! Thanks to MrBill I have a steel insert and copper washer in the drain plug.

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Nice detective work tracking that down and fixing it. I have a small leak on the right hand side of my 750's engine that I have to address pretty soon.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

No Leaks

Second day riding....still clean lookin' oil pan/undercarriage.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Locating Oil Leak

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Nice detective work tracking that down and fixing it. I have a small leak on the right hand side of my 750's engine that I have to address pretty soon.
                    Thanks...I appreciate you viewing my thread. It was annoying at first but once I started poking around, it was easy to trace.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

What an odd place for a leak. Wonder what that bolt tightens to? Is it just a case bolt? Good job Ed, I was a bit concerned about that leak.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Fiche

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        What an odd place for a leak. Wonder what that bolt tightens to? Is it just a case bolt? Good job Ed, I was a bit concerned about that leak.
                        I looked at the fiche and couldn't find the location for those bolts. But you have better eyes remember...

I was looking for the gasket on the clutch cover and you found it.

By the time 26 April comes around, I'll be ready for the Earth Ride!

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Partsoutlaw

I'm glad I ordered all the replacement parts for the "Cam Chain Tensioner" because it's the next leaking area that needs attention.

Also got new tach/speedo cables. If the gauges are bad...never fear, I have an alternate set I got from a fellow GSR member.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Guess what just arrived in the mail today!

Yep, the 530 Conversion Kit!

I'm not ready to install...yet. I'm also waiting on the "Fork Brace".

Next week is the Earth Run in Cloudcroft (weather permitting) so it looks like May will be a good time to do the work. I am so looking forward to this...

Oh MrBill, can I set up an appointment with you again?

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              Update on the pipe--thread chaser

Bought a thread chaser kit/loan from AutoZone (90 Days) and chased the thread all the way home. Also, tightened the other bolts which came loose a little.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thread Chaser

Got around to taking a pic of the FIXED pipes. Now I can return the Thread Chaser Kit back to Autozone.

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X