Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    That is so COOL!

I thought I was gonna have to pull the carbs...I've got the oil drained and I need to buy a very sharp chisel to separate the oil pan cover from the bottom of the case. That cover is very expensive if I damage it...like $500.

I'll give you a call and we can make arrangements to meet up so you can Evaluate my bike.

I'm also looking to replace the shocks...just talked to Rob at Z1 and he recommends the Hagen shocks/spring.

Ed
    Umm, you'll probably have to pull the carbs to change the jets. The bowls could be really stuck on and those dang JIS bowl screws strip out just looking at them. I replaced every JIS screw with SS allen heads.

Well if my neck would stop hurting I would ride over this weekend. Just gotta and wait and see. On the oil pan, I used a very thin wide bladed screw driver and dead blow hammer. Get the screw driver inserted and use mild hits with the hammer around the pan, Mine literally popped off into my hands.

I bought Progressive's shocks with the higher rate springs. They ride very nice.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Weekend Work

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Umm, you'll probably have to pull the carbs to change the jets. The bowls could be really stuck on and those dang JIS bowl screws strip out just looking at them. I replaced every JIS screw with SS allen heads.

Well if my neck would stop hurting I would ride over this weekend. Just gotta and wait and see. On the oil pan, I used a very thin wide bladed screw driver and dead blow hammer. Get the screw driver inserted and use mild hits with the hammer around the pan, Mine literally popped off into my hands.

I bought Progressive's shocks with the higher rate springs. They ride very nice.
      I can come get you in my truck one of these weekends after I receive the V&H pipes and the gasket/plug you recommended. I'm going to see Paul Rodriguez at "Inn of the Mountain Gods" on Saturday so this weekend is out.

Thanks for the offer to assist...I appreciate it.

Yeah, Rob from Z1 said the Hagens were good shocks and the progressives were only $20-$30 more for the set. I'm still thinking about which ones to buy; no rush.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I'm all over the place with my bike...

Let me explain.

Since ordering my V&H pipes, I'm getting pretty jazzed about seeing the results of:

1.) Remove/Replace the oil pan gasket and putting a steel plug for the drain plug
        2.) Installing my new pipes
        3.) Considering replacing the original shocks
        4.) Cleaning the engine before my pipes arrive
        5.) Ordering the main jets to compensate for the 4-1 pipes
        6.) Removing the carbs to install 115.5 Main Jets...the stock ones are 112.5
        7.) Disassembling my "Parts Bike" Carbs
        8.) Remove/Replace rear drum brakes
        9.) 630/530 conversion (Low priority because the sprocket/chain are in great condition)
        10.) Ordering gasket/seals for the Cam Chain tensioner

So, I've got a lot of things on my mind for my bike but the Pipes & Oil Pan gasket are the priority atm. I believe the shocks need replacement and that's why I'm gonna order them.

Everything else is secondary to those particulars...even now I'm thinking I need to replace the fork oil even though the front suspension feels good...the rear feels like crap.

I'll be in Las Cruces on Saturday...at least I plan on it. Mr Bill is going to help me get these tasks accomplished...we'll start with the oil pan steel insert.

More to follow.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I'm all over the place with my bike...

Let me explain.

Since ordering my V&H pipes, I'm getting pretty jazzed about seeing the results of:

1.) Remove/Replace the oil pan gasket and putting a steel plug for the drain plug
          2.) Installing my new pipes
          3.) Considering replacing the original shocks
          4.) Cleaning the engine before my pipes arrive
          5.) Ordering the main jets to compensate for the 4-1 pipes
          6.) Removing the carbs to install 115.5 Main Jets...the stock ones are 112.5
          7.) Disassembling my "Parts Bike" Carbs
          8.) Remove/Replace rear drum brakes
          9.) 630/530 conversion (Low priority because the sprocket/chain are in great condition)
          10.) Ordering gasket/seals for the Cam Chain tensioner

So, I've got a lot of things on my mind for my bike but the Pipes & Oil Pan gasket are the priority atm. I believe the shocks need replacement and that's why I'm gonna order them.

Everything else is secondary to those particulars...even now I'm thinking I need to replace the fork oil even though the front suspension feels good...the rear feels like crap.

I'll be in Las Cruces on Saturday...at least I plan on it. Mr Bill is going to help me get these tasks accomplished...we'll start with the oil pan steel insert.

More to follow.

Ed
          Icing down the beer now...oh wait that is for when we get done
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good News

I went ahead and ordered the Progessive Shocks from Z1 as well as the Main Jets & Pilot Jets for my baby's carbs. I didn't need to order them from the Suzuki shop here in Almamogordo.

I pulled the trigger a little too fast on the oil pan gasket, drain plug/washer. I noticed I needed a gasket/seal for the Cam Chain Tensioner because there's slight oil seaping from it too.

The oil pan cover is sitting in Safety Kleen for 8 hours...it should clean up nicely! Are we still on for tomorrow morning Bill?

Getting very excited about all the new parts for my "T". Thanks alot Bill!

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-14-2014, 03:39 PM.
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the Progessive Shocks from Z1 as well as the Main Jets for my baby's carbs. I didn't need to order them from the Suzuki shop here in Almamogordo.

I pulled the trigger a little too fast on the oil pan gasket, drain plug/washer. I noticed I needed a gasket/seal for the Cam Chain Tensioner because there's slight oil seaping from it too.

The oil pan cover is sitting in Safety Kleen for 8 hours...it should clean up nicely! Are we still on for tomorrow morning Bill?

Getting very excited about all the new parts for my "T". Thanks alot Bill!

Ed
              Ed check your PM
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Sunday 16 Mar 2014

Update: some current pics! Lots of cleaning to do before the Progressive Shocks and V&H Pipes are installed. Get-well date: 29 Mar 2014.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM.
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

So that's what it looks like under there.

If you happen to think of it, could you take a quick photo of how the lower arm of your engine guards bolt up to the frame? (I'm investigating guards for my 750E and our engines should be the same...)
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Guard Mounts

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    So that's what it looks like under there.

If you happen to think of it, could you take a quick photo of how the lower arm of your engine guards bolt up to the frame? (I'm investigating guards for my 750E and our engines should be the same...)
                    I took these pics to post on a different thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219416

As you can see, they don't line up with the engine guard and I'm missing a bolt on each side. The holes line up I just need to get some bolts and see how well they line up--Something else I'll need to correct on my "T".

This is what they're suppose to look like...but I will investigate more.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM.
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It's Like Christmas!!!

Exhaust System arrived!!!!

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Pretty nice looking, shouldn't take long to install since you have the stock ones already off. Oil pan has to go on first though I'll be ready for ya.
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Status - 21Mar2014

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Pretty nice looking, shouldn't take long to install since you have the stock ones already off. Oil pan has to go on first though I'll be ready for ya.
                          Thanks Bill.

I'm cleaning the 8 bolts that will go back on the pipes--they're cleaning up rather nicely; amazing what a wire brush and some alcohol can do.

Gonna wire brush the front of the engine as best I can for these new pipes. At least the top end does not leak oil and of course the oil pan leak will be fixed so my exhaust should stay clean!

I'm going to Lander's Engineering on Monday for the steel insert and I will also see if he can make some metal side covers.

Here's some pics of the Shocks and the Main/Pilot jets...Rob suggested changing the Pilots as well but we'll discuss it when the Carbs are pulled.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Next Day Air Required

Got the wrong size Main Jets...help me Z1, you're my only hope! (I need 115.5s)

Ed

EDIT: If I ever decide to change my original Air Box, I have the Main Jets to do it.
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-24-2014, 12:56 AM.
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Dude....those pipes and shocks are sweet! I am very jealous!

While you have the oil pan off you should shim the oil relief valve.
                              I took some photos of what it took to do mine here:
                              Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Derek
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Got the wrong size Main Jets...help me Z1, you're my only hope! (I need 115.5s)

Ed

EDIT: If I ever decide to change my original Air Box, I have the Main Jets to do it.
                                As I stated in the other thread where you posted this, you need at least those 117.5 main jets and probably 120's. Do not increase the size of your pilot jets and do adjust your fuel screws as needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X