Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES Clutch Hub Stuff

Hi All:

I recently started posting my latest project under the - uh - project section. It's an '83 GS1100ES. First Suzuki I've worked on.

So the clutch lever was amazingly hard to pull. Per various posts I checked the cable and routing. That was all fine. So I pulled the clutch cover. And herein lie some of the questions.

I pulled out 11 steel and 11 fiber plates. Counted it 3 times to make sure. That don't seem right. Fiber plates are averaging 2.15 - 2.2 mm thick. The clutch springs are too long at 40.68 mm. So I'm guessing the really hard pull was on account of the long clutch springs. And the center nut, that big 32 mm one, was lose.

So... opinions...
    Do I need new fiber plates?
    Should I just get all new steel and fibers and springs?
    Should I just use stock springs.

Finally, the clutch basket looks rather beat up. How bad does this look? I've circled the bad areas in red.

Like I said... my fist Suzuki. So I'm just learning this one. Boy, does that shop manual come in handy. Almost forgot all about that piano wire holding the last steel in.

later

I'd file those out a little bit and put in stock 9 fibers and 9 steels.
    The steels are the same so just buy the fibers if the steels check out.
    If you're stock than I'd run stock springs. If you spin the clutch put those HD springs with the stock 3&3.
    Last edited by chef1366; 03-17-2014, 09:40 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clutch Basket

Originally posted by 63ronin View Post
      Hi All:

I recently started posting my latest project under the - uh - project section. It's an '83 GS1100ES. First Suzuki I've worked on.

So the clutch lever was amazingly hard to pull. Per various posts I checked the cable and routing. That was all fine. So I pulled the clutch cover. And herein lie some of the questions.

I pulled out 11 steel and 11 fiber plates. Counted it 3 times to make sure. That don't seem right. Fiber plates are averaging 2.15 - 2.2 mm thick. The clutch springs are too long at 40.68 mm. So I'm guessing the really hard pull was on account of the long clutch springs. And the center nut, that big 32 mm one, was lose.

So... opinions...
      Do I need new fiber plates?
      Should I just get all new steel and fibers and springs?
      Should I just use stock springs.

Finally, the clutch basket looks rather beat up. How bad does this look? I've circled the bad areas in red.

Like I said... my fist Suzuki. So I'm just learning this one. Boy, does that shop manual come in handy. Almost forgot all about that piano wire holding the last steel in.

later
      OUCH!

I did a Clutch Basket dis-assembly during the Christmas holiday here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=216696

That's some nasty looking marks on your PRIMARY GEAR basket. I didn't have to replace any springs but I would stay with stock springs and replace the nut/washer that holds the basket in place...well, at least the washer so you can bend it down to lock the nut in place.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

That basket is rough , you can file it down some and smooth it up, that will make a clutch hang. Also what does the center hub look like ? From what I see in the pic's it is just as bad. Clean it up the same way. And as stated already go back to stock clutch plates. After market clutches are hell on clutch baskets.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks for the input.

As an update, I was poking around the APE website looking at that center nut. I noticed that APE appears to sell a clutch kit that uses one extra friction plate. If this is what was installed in the bike I have that would account for having 11 steel AND 11 friction plates. Would also explain the clutch springs.

It just so happens that I have a "parts bike" which is also an '83. But this one is a standard GS1100E. I'm thinking that I'll take a look at the clutch on that bike. If it is in much better shape, then I'll swap that unit over to the ES. Might still need new friction plates though. But I'll see what happens.

Was actually thinking I could throw the spare "E" engine in my '78 GS1000 (that I haven't even started working on yet). Just an idea.

Comment

Seems to me that you will have to file out those troughs to such an extent the measurement of those splines will be significantly different than the drives plates that slot into them. This could potentially produce a lot of lash (?). Also with that amount of damage on the clutch hub check the specs of the plates themselves. The workshop manual has the limits and I would suspect you are getting there on those too.

I would also take the clutch basket off and examine the cushion springs on the back of it. If they are rattling about (like just about every Suzi out there) then you might be better off getting a whole new welded basket.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
              I would also take the clutch basket off and examine the cushion springs on the back of it. If they are rattling about (like just about every Suzi out there) then you might be better off getting a whole new welded basket.

Greetings
              Just so happens I pulled the clutch basket today. 1/2 the springs are rattling around. So I would say that this clutch assembly has rather had it. I'll dig into my parts bike next weekend and see what that clutch is like. If it's in decent shape then great... I'm ahead. If not... hmmmm... might be spending a few $$$ more than originally estimating.

Oh... I noticed that the crank is welded. Am I remembering other posts correct in that some cranks came welded from the factory? Or by '83 they were all welded?

Comment

number of clutch plates

the 83 bikes came with an extra friction and steel as i remember from new.

Comment

83 cranks are welded.
                  I have an extra decent clutch basket if your other one doesn't check out.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    83 cranks are welded.
                    I have an extra decent clutch basket if your other one doesn't check out.
                    I may take you up on that. I was thinking of putting the spare '83 1100 engine in my '78 GS1000 (I hear it's a straight fit?). But I need a complete 1100 engine to do that. OR... I actually rebuild the top end of the 1000 and keep the original engine. Hadn't decided. Be a while before I actually touch the 1000.

Comment

yea that basket looks pretty rough. file those marks out for sure. you should be good with that. also the springs will rattle, you can take that clutch basket apart and shim the springs, rewelld the rivets and rattle is gone!!! if need i can do that for you pretty cheap, done it on my 1000 race bike.

matt

Comment

doing anything except for replacing the basket is just beating a sore sausage...
                        and yes the 83's had an extra plate steel backed fibers that did damage just like all the extra plate "racing" clutches.
                        some good info in this thread but a lot of bad info also...

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          doing anything except for replacing the basket is just beating a sore sausage...
                          and yes the 83's had an extra plate steel backed fibers that did damage just like all the extra plate "racing" clutches.
                          some good info in this thread but a lot of bad info also...
                          You missed us!
                          Tell us the bad advice. I respect your knowledge. No BS

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            You missed us!
                            Tell us the bad advice. I respect your knowledge. No BS
                            i will be nice and not mention post #...
                            hi bill,
                            how have you been?

Comment

Little update for ya (and maybe hopefully a little advice)

So I pulled the clutch from my parts bike. That hub also has indentations from the plates. But they are not nearly as bad as the original clutch shown in the pictures. So I'm thinking the spare clutch is workable.

BUT... as it seems with a lot of these GS1100's (from what I have been reading) 1/2 the springs are lose and rattle. So, what is the effect of the rattling springs? Will it just make noise? Or will it affect performance or make the clutch hard to operate?

I was hoping to not spend a fortune getting this thing back on the road. But at the same time, I want a bike I can be confident in for a number of years. In other words I planned on keeping and riding this thing (since I can't afford a Katana ). But it certainly will not be logging many miles (too many other things to ride and I don't ride in the rain cuz I'm a wus )

Options? Thoughts? Comments?

Comment

Working...
                              X