GS1100 Engine Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Engine Removal

I have it down to the bare motor, frame and front end. I am having trouble removing the motor. I used a floor jack to try and raise it from the tabs enough to pull it out the right side. But when I jack it up the frame starts to lift before it will clear the tabs. I read about laying it down but I'd rather not do that. Anyone removed their motor (without a second man)? Any tips would be appreciated.

Here's how not to do it:

http://http://youtu.be/lZP_u32WdJk

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I recently removed an 1100 motor from an 82 1100G, then pulled another motor from an 82 1100L and put that one in the G frame. I removed both motors by myself and it's doable. I too used a floor jack to lift them off the frames. And I had the same issue you did, I would catch the frame every now and then.

My first suggestion is to pull the breather cover off of the top of the engine, if you haven't already. That gives you some more room to pull it out of the frame.

My second suggestion is that there is a VERY small working area between the frame and motor that you'll need to angle, shift, jiggle, grunt and groan to find the "sweet spot" where the motor will just fit through the frame. It takes a lot of fiddling but if you be patient, you'll find just the right spot to pull it out. It's not easy and a bit frustrating, but it can be done.

My third suggestion is to be sure that whatever you plan to put the motor on once it's out, be sure it's stable. Once out, the motor is easy to tip forward. Remember, this is a HEAVY motor. Watch all your toes and fingers!!

And having someone to help is a big plus. Sometimes another set of eyes can see how it needs to be angled to get it out of the frame. When we're frustrated and covered in sweat from wrangling this engine, we can lose sight of what we needs to be done.

Be careful but it can be done. I never liked the engine on it's side removal/install procedure. Just something about laying an engine on it's side.... but that's just me. Good luck and be careful.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Laying it on it's side is super easy, especially if the frame is stripped down already. The best way to not do any damage when doing it by yourself. Just make sure to support the engine well so the ignition cover it is sitting on don't get bent. It doesn't hurt anything to lay it on it's side as long as the ignition cover doesn't get smashed. We dropped one on the ignition cover a few months ago doing it the normal way, with two people on a smaller engine. Cracked it big time. We should have laid the bike on its side.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You are jacking the motor up at an angle and you need to go straight up.
          Rock the motor a bit to clear the hitch. Keep fingers out of pinch points.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Got it out today. I had to remove the short output shaft with the beveled gear. It sticks out about two inches. With that out of the way I was able to wiggle it out. It was difficult to do by myself. I don't know how I will get it back in without a scratching the freshly painted motor and frame. I've used foam pipe insulation on frames but in this case I don't think there is any room to spare (any cushion would have to be very thin.

Comment

Working...
            X