Serious Metal Chunks in Oil Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Metal Chunks in Oil Pan

(This is a copy of a post put in my resto thread - see signature)

With the damage I have already seen to the top end of this motor, it was suggested that I remove the sump / oil pan and see what what is there. Shocking. But with a caveat. I have checked the clutch and pistons and they are all peachy (good). In fact the pistons are hardly scored at all.

I am thinking (praying) that this might be the residue of a previous engine failure. OR where else could these chunks have come from? We are talking serious bits of metal here:

(for the whole picture set see my blog here: GS1150 Metal Chunks)

The bigger pieces (aluminium):

Smaller pieces are steel:

All of the smaller pieces have this grooving on them:

Clutch and pistons are good:

Help!!!

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Those steel pieces look like cylinder sleeves. If yours are still there on one piece it's from a previous catastrophe. Still you should split the cases to clean everything and check for other damage.

I don't recognise the bigger pieces.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The pieces in the fourth picture appear to be from the clutch basket.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

tkent02 - I went and checked and you are correct on the basis of the curve of the steel pieces and the striped markings and the chamfer on the base. The only thing that doesn't add up is that the pieces I found in the engine are 1.75 mm thick and my liners are 3.25 mm thick.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Steve - I took another picture to show the striations on the surface. It does look very much like the outer clutch hub finish:

Clutch in there now is now looking great. It didn't come from the current one. How often do these things blow?

So at some time this bike had a complete clutch failure and some sort of event that destroyed the lower cylinder liners.

Looks like a complete strip down?

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

Could be possible the PO scattered the clutch/motor and when they resleeved it they went with a thicker sleeve, dropped the cc displacement some. They didn't bother taking the oil pan off to check for pieces or to clean it. Could be the reason why the pistons and the clutch look as good as they do they are new? I don't know, folks do some strange sh$t at times.
            Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

possibly the bike previously had big bore pistons, with much thinner cylinder sleeves.
              looks like it lunched itself big time and the owner simply plonked on a different top end just to get the engine running again.
              Full strip down required......
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax - I thought you might say that. Darn it. I don't have the money for this one. The gaskets alone are going to cost a couple of £100. Then there is all the work that needs doing on the head - say £350. I think I will wrap this one up until I win the pools!

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Opening up the cases won't cost anything but time, unless you find more damage. No gaskets in there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mercy sakes alive! What's next?

Hope your luck breaks soon. Just focus how nice it's going to be when you get everything squared away!
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Richard, this thread has become a heartbreaker..like Ed said, I hope things turn around.
                      Good luck
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well I took the gamble of buying an imported bike unseen. I figured for the money even if the motor was shot I should be able to break even on it.

Now, since I have invested some cash and quite a bit of time in it, I will finish the job. Can't bear to see it trashed. It's going to cost a pretty penny and I have other restos in progress too. But eventually, yes it will be a sweet motor again. I think I will invest in a top end oiler mod too!

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

You've got two threads running here on this subject,
                          The APE bolt suggests that perhaps it has had some tuning and go fast bits, in it's past, the thin cylinder lining pieces might mean that at some time in its past its been seriously bored out and had a catastrophic failure but been rebuilt.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

LB, we have similar pieces in our engines, but the aluminum chunks are larger in your discovery. Those cylinder liner pieces look about the same thickness as what happened to mine.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

tatu - now on closer inspection I can see that cylinder liners, pistons and all the clutch look shiny new. So I am thinking that a load of money and effort has already but put into this engine quite recently. If I can fix the head and cams, strip and rebuild it, then I would have a tip top motor. Do you concur?

I would love you to take a peek at it next time you come to Robinsons.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X