leaking valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking valve cover

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS550E that I have slowly but surely been getting back into running condition. I recently took the valve cover off in order to check my valve clearance levels. Luckily they were all to spec and no shims needed to be changed. I put the valve cover back on and replaced the gasket. Fired right up afterward the only problem being that the bike would die once the choke is off. Upon closer inspection it appears that the gasket may not be sealing correctly and there is some oil coming out of the valve cover. It also appears that the 4th spark plug cap is bubbling either gas or oil. This I cannot figure out because the plug only carries power from the coils? I rode yesterday with the exhaust smoking from the leaking oil, however when I tried to ride today the engine would not stay running for more than 2 seconds. Watch should I do about this? Thanks in advanced for any help.

I believe I may have slightly gouged the aluminum surface when getting the old gasket off. Mistakes happen, is there anything I can do?

Comment

Originally posted by ndimitri48 View Post
      I believe I may have slightly gouged the aluminum surface when getting the old gasket off. Mistakes happen, is there anything I can do?
      A tiny bit of case sealer (or even silicone sealer if you don't have that) would be fine to deal with the gouge.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
      X