What's wrong with this picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with this picture?

It's been almost a month since I've ridden this bike. Had a moment to wrench in the torrential downpour today and discovered this. Just like a member mentioned in another thread. He was right.

Now what to do? The piston has some scuffs under the skirt, but all of them look pretty good, for not cracking the block open in over a decade. Even bores look pretty good from an untrained eye.

There are 3 MTC pistons on the bay, but the question I have is: do I replace one sleeve or bore a stock block? I have a stock block. Or press out one sleeve an bore it. Thanks for any advice. (1229 MTC Pistons- 84 1150 engine). Last photo not so great.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Get a new sleeve and put the jugs on the grill once it is at around 350 degrees. set them on the bottoms of the barrels and soon as the cylinder block gets warm enough youll hear a thud..the sleeves sliding loose.

Put the new sleeve in the freezer to contract the metal. Insert new sleeve(s) and set the jugs on a flat surface with the shoulder on the flat to hold the sleeves in as the cylinders cool. Soon as the jugs are cooled down, the sleeves will be trapped and ready to go.

Its just an expansion / contraction arrangement that is used to assemble or disassemble them.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

get another block and start over.

Comment

Are those sleeves normally that thin after an over bore to 1229 CC?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Are those sleeves normally that thin after an over bore to 1229 CC?
          paper thin...that why i prefer the 1198 kit

Comment

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but I found this rather interesting, and it reminded me that I read somewhere a dozen years or so ago about the use of ceramics for both the pistons and sleeves. Ceramics can take extreme temperatures without any distortion or movement , and can be made to extreme tolerances. The Japanese were experimenting with the use of ceramics in engine blocks. Does anyone know what happened to this venture? A real bummer about your sleeves though Turk.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              paper thin...that why i prefer the 1198 kit
              Put any kind of juice to the motor and this is the result. That's just way to thin a liner.

I suspect someone makes an aftermarket cylinder to alleviate the wall thickness issue? If they do, that might be the better way to go.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

we are only talking a small amount of course but i always liked the little extra thickness of the 1198.
                there's a thread here started by big jay talking about over sized liners for a stock block(1327).
                max overbore is just that...MAX

Comment

If nothing banged into the #1 piston sleeve (errant starter clutch parts) I'd still be riding around. Actually the bike ran fine in this condition, I just couldn't hit a starter button and go.

Blower, you're suggestion is to bore all four cylinders on the stock block, the spare I have? I've had my issues with the SC, but the reliability of the sleeve thickness has survived, many long road trips, short rides around town, and track days.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

yes start with a new block.
                    the liner thickness is just my opinion and has nothing to do with the damage from the SC.
                    i had a 1260 do just a little of what yours did but with very small damage to the liner and piston.
                    it was continued to be raced(drag bike) and was still alive when i sold the engine.

Comment

3&4

Comment

i always liked used pistons and rings on a fresh bore.....never let me down and saved me plenty of cash over the years.

Comment

You need to bore another block. Removing & replacing a sleeve WILL require decking the block, unlike some think it ISN'T just plug & play changing sleeves. They never land at the perfect height. I have no issues with 77mm bores on stock 1150 blocks. It is the same as doing a 75mm bore on an 1100 block.
                          Ray.

Comment

These are the bits of clutch and liner (paper thin liner I might add) that I found in my EFE:

Greetings
                            Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

A few more your enjoyment, not mine.

London, that looks like the same bore sleeve material. Thanks Ray for the advice as always. Anyone have one 10.25 to 1 MTC piston gathering dust?

Comment

Working...
                              X