Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud clanking noise in engine - 1982 GS650 GL

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my engine on my 1982 GS650 GL that I wanted to run by you before I started tearing everything down.

I was riding on the interstate, going about 70mph, and I started to lose power slowly. I noticed the engine was making a clicking noise (very loudly, but it was hard to hear with no windshield and going 70). Eventually, I lost almost all acceleration power and was only going around 20mph and the engine died.

I have the bike home now, and the bike will start and idle, but there is a loud clacking noise coming from somewhere on the engine.

I have taken the valve cover off, and everything looks fine in there. I have done the valve shims previously.

Here is a video I posted to Youtube of the engine idling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQl...ature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance.

~Freebeer

Start by removing valve cover again: does cam chain have too much slop? Did you/have you checked tensioner to make sure it's working as intended? While you in there, check crank to camshaft timing- remove signal generator cover and inspect.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Start by removing valve cover again: does cam chain have too much slop? Did you/have you checked tensioner to make sure it's working as intended? While you in there, check crank to camshaft timing- remove signal generator cover and inspect.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I will be tearing it back apart to check on everything as you said.

I didn't mention that after the incident on the Interstate, I did take the valve cover off, and removed the chain tensioner. I had suspected that the tensioner wasn't working properly, as that was basically the only part I hadn't touched yet on the engine (besides internal stuff). I cleaned the tensioner, and everything appeared to be working correctly. I re-installed it (using the proper procedure), and it looked like it tensioned the chain. I also checked timing with the two shafts, and made sure the chain had the correct number of links between the two sprockets (21 if I remember correctly).

All that being said, I am going to take it all back apart and re-check everything to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.

~Freebeer

Comment

Yes, best to start with valve stuff, even though your loss of power seems odd to me.
        just to make sure regarding tensioner....
        You wound its knob back ,pushed plunger in, tightened down setscrew on plunger shaft(to hold it in position),installed it in engine and then released setscrew 1/3 turn (to let plunger push out). Then tightened lock nut to prevent setscrew from interfering.
        You seen this pic?

image.jpg
        Last edited by tom203; 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the picture. I hadn't seen that one before.

As for installing the tensioner, I did the correct procedure. I was paranoid after reading so many posts on gsresources, so I made sure it was correct. It was very satisfying seeing the chain tighten up as the tensioner pushed its way in.

I am also planning on shining a flashlight down each spark plug hole to see if there is any visible damage on top of one of the pistons.

Comment

Yes, best to start with valve stuff, even though your loss of power seems odd to me.
            just to make sure regarding tensioner....
            You wound its knob back ,pushed plunger in, tightened down setscrew on plunger shaft(to hold it in position),installed it in engine and then released setscrew 1/3 turn (to let plunger push out). Then tightened lock nut to prevent setscrew from interfering.
            Why would anyone wind the knurled knob on the cam chain tensioner? Winding or unwinding the knob does not change the tension that the plunger will apply. That knob is not meant to be "wound".
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

That sounds like a valve or tappet. Maybe a split shim? It's very distinctive not at all like a chain slapping around. Are all the cylinders heating up?

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Why would anyone wind the knurled knob on the cam chain tensioner? Winding or unwinding the knob does not change the tension that the plunger will apply. That knob is not meant to be "wound".
                Last time that I checked you can't push plunger back unless you wind/turn knurled knob back. The knob has its own spring which pushes on ball that pushes on plunger ramp-it's a no go backwards unless knob tension is released.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Last time that I checked you can't push plunger back unless you wind/turn knurled knob back. The knob has its own spring which pushes on ball that pushes on plunger ramp-it's a no go backwards unless knob tension is released.
                  Ahhh, I didn't realize that was what you meant. I read it as turning the knurled knob directly retracts the plunger or puts tension on the plunger spring. heh eh.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                  X