82 1100e Engine Rebuild ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100e Engine Rebuild ???

After several years of inaction I've started the process of replacing the lower cases on my 1100. I discovered that the cases had a leaking micro stress crack near the front motor mount. The damage wasn't discovered while the engine was being rebuilt so I have a well built engine with 1166/HD clutch hub/cams and welded crank with bad case.

I'm probably in over my head but I've got the time and want to learn.

I'll start a project thread soon when I have more photos. I've started assembling the new lower cases but haven't torn into the old engine yet.

I have a set of NOS silver cases with no serial numbers. It came with a oil spray nozzle already installed in the upper case.

Why is there only one nozzle? Seems like there should be one for each bearing. I plan to install high volume 750 oil pump gears, do you still use the nozzle with the higher flow? Thought I read something about possibly not using it.

On the spare transmission I plan to use, three of the four outer bearings have a locating pin sticking out that gets held in place by the assembled case halves. The manual says they should all have the locating pins. The bearing that doesn't is the small bearing on the clutch side of the output shaft. I assume they prevent the bearings from spinning. Are they critical? The transmission in the bad case engine probably has the bearing I need.

Lastly what labor saving steps can you suggest? Should I leave the pistons on the crank?
    Last edited by isleoman; 04-01-2015, 08:52 PM.

Resolved one issue. I had bought new a left hand bearing P/N 20041 for one of the shafts. It is identical to, and supersedes the right hand bearing P/N 20044, which is missing the pin. So that issue is taken care of.
    Last edited by isleoman; 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

If you run in to any road blocks let me know. I have lots of engine parts.
      Oh and the pistons will not clear the upper case. Been there tried that.
      Do you have an engine stand?
      Always split them upside down or the transmission falls out.
      Where are you located?
      Last edited by chef1366; 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        If you run in to any road blocks let me know. I have lots of engine parts.
        Oh and the pistons will not clear the upper case. Been there tried that.
        Do you have an engine stand?
        Always split them upside down or the transmission falls out.
        Where are you located?

Chef I'm right next door in central New England. Thanks for the clarification on removing the crank with pistons. I guess I'll at least be able to leave the rings on.

Hopefully I've got most of the components. I don't have an engine stand. I'd like one but I have absolutely no room left. Just having two tables with all the parts and pieces laid out is leaving very little room.

I have the upper case upside down now waiting for the crank from the other motor. Beside it I have the lower case with the trans loosely fitted. I guess I'll have to make some type of wooden frame to hold the lower case off the table to allow for the con rods to poke thru.

Check ouit the transmission photos and tell me what you think of the marks. I got this transmission with some used cases from another forum member. I was actually more interested in the output shaft, which seems to be in decent shape. Hadn't noticed the marks till I took the pics. I have my original transmission in the assembled engine but it does have 106K on it. The engine builder thought it was good enough to use. Had hoped to use the one in the pics.

Comment

Any opinions as to whether it will be as smooth as stock (being that the 1150, I'm told, vibrates a lot more than the 1100)?

Good luck with the build, and keep those beautiful pics coming. I'd come and visit, but the bridge is out!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Any opinions as to whether it will be as smooth as stock (being that the 1150, I'm told, vibrates a lot more than the 1100)?

Good luck with the build, and keep those beautiful pics coming. I'd come and visit, but the bridge is out!
            Rob, there are several members with this set up on an 1100 like Posplayr and I haven't heard anyone mention vibration as a problem. One theory on the 1150 vibes was it resulted from the bigger wrist pin's but who knows for sure.

I hate to just keep posting pics cause then the experts get all confused and bleary eyed and never answer my earlier questions but if you insist.

You're only a virgin case once.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
              You're only a virgin case once.
              I'm still a virgin, but I believe that's the clutch cable holder, the bottom case and the top case.

What about the whole bike?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I need a side picture of the dogs on gear two. Any what appears to be tool marks on them? It's an obvious defect if you know what to look at. Once you see that you know what to look at on the other gears.
                All used transmissions for these old GS bikes will have some sort of mark unless it is SUPER low miles.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Rob! This whole 1150 vibration has turned into your opinion and not based on fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    I'm still a virgin, but I believe that's the clutch cable holder, the bottom case and the top case.

What about the whole bike?
                    The rest of the bike was pretty much complete when I got rear ended by a 3/4 ton GMC. The champagne body work survived well but the frame was tweaked.

This is also how the engine cases cracked. Don't have any good pictures with the replacement 83 frame and wheels powder coated but heres the two sets of body work on the 82 frame pre-disaster. GMC's insurance company paid me well so I decided to build the engine. Got it all put back together and found the leak. Can't blame the builder. Neither of us saw it as its pretty microscopic and doesn't weep till the engine is warm.

I've been procrastinating for years on putting it back together but I have other bikes that have been soothing my passion.

It's Easter, time for a second coming.
                    Last edited by isleoman; 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I need a side picture of the dogs on gear two. Any what appears to be tool marks on them? It's an obvious defect if you know what to look at. Once you see that you know what to look at on the other gears.
                      All used transmissions for these old GS bikes will have some sort of mark unless it is SUPER low miles.
                      Gotta charge the camera battery. I'll post them a little later today.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                        Gotta charge the camera battery. I'll post them a little later today.
                        Chef, Here some shots of what I think your interested in. The pictures show up the nicks more than seeing it in person.

I'm assuming the nick at the bottom right edge of the dog is the concern.

Back side is smooth.

Comment

Rob! This whole 1150 vibration has turned into your opinion and not based on fact.
                          Well...the 1100s didn't have (or need) bar-end weights.

Comment

I went on Ebay and was looking at the transmissions for sale just to get a reference and most looked much worse than this transmission. I also notice no one on Ebay wants to show you a good shot of the dogs.

Don't have my assembled engine apart yet to see what my old tranny looks like.

I'm training myself on using a degree wheel and dial indicator by checking the engine builder's numbers before I open it up. I did notice the adjustable sprockets are set at 21 pins.

Any tranny experts want to weigh in? Does this unit look ok?
                            Last edited by isleoman; 04-05-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I have good transmissions and a bad shaft with the #2 pressed on. I'll try to get over to the shop to take pics of both.
                              The one I have on eBay is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X