Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100GK: noise & vibration in 4th / 5th gear - gear box? transmission? drive train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! I have lots of other bike (and home) projects! I collect bikes and am always working on a variety of them. I did a complete rebuild of a V65 Magna with only 8000 miles on it.. super strong bike! My son and I also did a rebuild of a FZ600.. just waiting to flush the tank now that it is running so it can be on the road.

The GK is bigger than I normally ride so it didn't get a high enough priority. I mostly needed it out of the way now so got it to the shop. I'll pull the part and see how it goes. I do like the bike... good power and mpg... so we'll see if it makes it back into the riding rotation.

Thanks!

Comment

I had the threaded shaft break off the back of the secondary driven gear. Although all I noticed was occasional vi ration on decell.
      am trying to post pic to verify if that is what you are describing g, but am having difficulty with that.
      if you want, go to my imgur pictures, RedMan52, look for album name 2017_PiecesParts.

i think we are talking about the same thing. And you are not going to like it.
      yes, if use donar parts there is all that measuring and shimming.
      there is another option, can discuss later.

and with GK, I found there is a complication in removing the drive gear assembly in that the GK has some extra braceing on the frame that interfere with pulling the gear set from back of engine. Reguires unbolting engine from frame to jack up and shift over engine. Can some what see that in my pictures.

would like to help more but do not have full access to my pics now.

note: the secondary drive gear is the one on transmission shaft. The driven gear is the one that has the flange for the shaft drive . Took me a while to understand that.
      Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

look like this?

also, see the swing arm pivot? see the big brace thing there sticking out? that on GK is what is in the way of pulling the gear housing-assembly out of the back of the engine

that bolt laying there still hasthe threaded shaft in it that should be on the end of the gear

here can see the broken shaft. Gear is still in the housing.
        Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

here is my little sketch-notes that helped me learn what is what

another way to say it:
          the Drive Gear is what can come out the side of the engine.
          the Drive Gear is what can come out the back of the engine.

Comment

I guess this is what's happened then:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...pair_zooks.pdf
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Tano,

I will most likley be unavailable, and not have resourses to respond much further over the next couple week,
              but did want to get this to you

It takes a good machinest.

you say you took it to a shop, and they found the broken thing.
              to find that they would have needed to remove the swing arm. Which would be about 1/4th of the work needed (especially on the GK) to complete this project (not including the machining).

Comment

Thanks, all! Yes, the "Bevel Gear Shaft Repair" is what we are going to try first. If that doesn't work then we'll use a donor part. My concern with the donor part is that it may break the same way that the original did.. and exactly what the posted pictures shown. The shop has a metal lathe so they are going to see if they can drill and tap existing unit as the "Repair" link indicates. Hopefully it will do the trick!

In the meantime I'm doing an engine swap in an FZR1000 to keep my mind off the GK. :-)

I'll let you know how the repair goes!

Comment

I had this same and the zook's repair is working fine. You will more'n likely find this a good opportunity to change the swing-arm bearings too.

Comment

Working...
                  X