Looking for any GS shaft drive indepth experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
    Exact same problem I had. You'll have to loosen some of the motor mount bolts to get enough play to get the assembly out ........................
    Brian said about the same thing...

And Yep..... got it slid out a couple inches... thunk.

GOt lots of motor mounts bolt/nuts loose .... nope.... I am missing something.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Think you may actually have to remove the rear mounts entirely....

Comment

What's that thing it's running into? Or am I misunderstanding something in that photo?
        Last edited by bwringer; 09-02-2017, 11:08 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          What's that thing it's running into? Or am I misunderstanding something in that photo?
          THe portion of the frame where the swingarm mounts to. FOr some reference, Can see some of the threaded hole for the swingarm pivot.

Now that I have calmed down some... I see there is another engine mount set on lower back of engine. And now I recall that air box is mounted to frame. But even still once I get those bolts/nuts loose, there still is not movement left or right, is up against tabs and brackets. Maybe have to remove those brackets, like Mario said,... or maybe need to lift engine up and over the brackets, or maybe go forward past the brackets then over to one side.
          Last night I got annoyed and nervous. Any further comments/advise?

Maybe can get back to it tomorrow afternoon.
          Last edited by Redman; 09-03-2017, 04:30 PM. Reason: spulling

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hmmm... I've been pondering the photo for a while, and also pondering and contrasting the 1100GK and other shaftie parts diagrams.

It looks like there's some added GK structure there that's not found in the other bikes. In the 850, the bearing cup is relieved to allow the gearset to be extracted. Is all that stuff related to a beefier centerstand or something?

If that thingy doesn't unbolt or slide off or whatever, you may need to support the engine and remove the engine mount bolts entirely to create enough clearance.

This is one of those things where it's really hard to see what's going on without the bike in front of me...
            Last edited by bwringer; 09-03-2017, 08:51 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian. Your assessment seems correct. That big protuberance there is where the center stand portion of the frame is connected to from underneath.
              Okay, thanks, I now have a direction to proceed.

THis will be taking me even further beyond my experience.

Brian, You are a great example of what is so great about this forum.

Dave

Comment

Endless fun..
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Further development....

Further puzzlement....

Will see what find when get the driven gear set out and can see the bevel gear.

Dave
                  Ouch....you did say ".003-.005 thou"....and not ".300 to .500 thou"!
                  I have a Starrett dial gauge that reads +/- .005 max, but I don't think you'll need it for that.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                    Ouch....you did say ".003-.005 thou"....and not ".300 to .500 thou"!
                    I have a Starrett dial gauge that reads +/- .005 max, but I don't think you'll need it for that.
                    When making that vidio, I was thinking what numbers were listed in mm in manaul and what numbers in inches (0.003 - 0.005) but then my nervous self said "thou ".

I do not know if the backlash means all the way from one clunk to the other clunk, or just the little bit of movement with out much resistance. SO, basically, I am saying that this all goes way past my current level of knowledge and experience.

Will see how much more trouble I am in when get the gear unit out, and see the bevel gear.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Endless fun..
                      Yah, and wife is asking when the end will be. (that is an understatement)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Yah, and wife is asking when the end will be. (that is an understatement)
                        Are "toys" ever truely finished?

Comment

Here is a pdf from Basscliff per the "MrZooks syndrome" which you have.

...I went withe the "get a machinist to replace with a bolt "route myself seeing as the gears were in good shape . It is presently holding up well 8000 km later.

I think the original construction is flawed so I did not replace with an entire (ebay ) assembly just to have the same thing happen again.

Comment

My 25yrs of making rivets taught me about the machines that make them...they ran a side and front shaft with bevel gears much like the G models do. {probably why I like them - familiarity}

Making millions of pieces on a given machine {@ 100 to 600 parts per minute / running 20hrs a day}...I rarely saw a broken gear set { it happened with a lost tooth here or there, but maybe once a year on one of 130 machines}. Gear slop...yes {reshim} ...but these type of gear sets can take a decent/easy beating so long as they're lubed properly. To have major slop in this set up means something isn't set correct any more {broken}. I saw a lot of broken shafts on those machines...very few gear issues.

Comment

"Will see how much more trouble I am in when get the gear unit out, and see the bevel gear."

Hopefully, you have caught this issue early and helical bevel gear set is ok... Those things are tough... Your fitup will never be be as good as when it left japan, but should be adequate with reshimming.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X