No announcement yet.

Looking for any GS shaft drive indepth experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to take apart a few more things and Got all the engine mounting bolts and rods out.
    Jacked the engine up about 3/8s and got the assembly out.

Bevel gears show no sign of bad wear.

ANd in recent days have a new development such that I can pursue the "Zooks" modification ( so can reuse the existing bevel gear assembly, and not need to go thru the re-shimming deal).

This forum is great.
    I am getting this done and it is way beyond my skill and experience level.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Anybody have any theory as to the root cause of this failure of the threaded portion of the secondary driven gear breaking off...? I cant really see what forces would be on this, other than maybe heat cycles. My ignorant guess is that maybe when they smack that nut to peen that edge over, maybe that starts some stress fracture or something.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Those gears look fine (what I can see). show your wife and impress her!

The driven assembly is torqued (to preload those big taper roller bearings) using that jap screw thread and nut - any weakness in the shaft can lead to this fun. Out of curiosity, how big is shaft diameter?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Those gears look fine (what I can see). show your wife and impress her!

The driven assembly is torqued (to preload those big taper roller bearings) using that jap screw thread and nut - any weakness in the shaft can lead to this fun. Out of curiosity, how big is shaft diameter?
          Oh, I see, just the stretch from torquing the nut, and whatever any thrust on that.

I did show wife, and annoyed her cuz I interrupted her 10th episode of Frazier today.

Shaft of threaded part is about 1.3cm and the larger part is about 2.5cm (oh, garsch, maybe first time I stated things in metric) (my calipers are metric).
          Last edited by Redman; 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

It's an M12 nut.

It's pretty clear that the fracture happened at the very first thread. I think the root cause is that the surface of the splines nearby need to be heat-treated to be pretty hard, but the surface of the threaded part also ends up hardened and brittle. Over time and under stress, it can eventually crack.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I am excited that I can now announce the best progress now.

Mr Alan "AMK" has made the Zook repair/modification on my secondary driven bevel gear, so I can reuse it (and not need to do all the measure this, micrometer that, dial indicator yaddi yaddi, adjust shim, blue die check yammer yammer,.....)
              I am so thankfull and excited that he could do that. Ain't this site great ! ? !

Got the driven gear assembly back together, with new oring and seal (bearings were great).

Hopefully I can get back at it tommorow evening.
              Last edited by Redman; 09-19-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Good for you Redman! Well done AMK! ( list yourself somewhere here! http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...s-and-Services)

the shimming is complicated as described alright and if you put it all together as it came apart where the primary and all were not damaged ...but you can see that you want your gear teeth to mesh "fully" yet not too tight as to grind each other to bits .....as I interpreted it, hands-on, you want to check there isn't too much " looseness" or "play" ( properly called "lash"?) before you re-attach to rear wheel, which has its own "lash". The two "lashes " (front and back) add up....

Comment

Thanks Guys ! THANKS !

Got it all together and out for ride this afternoon. Well, most all together, close enough.

Yep, this took care of the shuddering on decell that had started this summer.... AND took care of the gear whine/growl/whoodle-whoolde that I have been noticing for last couple years (but could not describe, could not hear if was engine rpm related or road speed related... apparently was neither).

Thanks for the diagnosis.
                  Thanks for the supplying of parts.
                  Thanks for the machine work.
                  Thanks for the instruction.
                  Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Fantastic news! So glad for you, Dave.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

This was a good read.
                      Way to go Redman
                      Never had a shaft drive bike probably never will, but
                      I followed along with seeing how things work(and don't) and how they go together and
                      learned a lot more than I knew before.
                      I can totally relate to getting in over your head/comfort level experience & expertise
                      and when you* get it all back together and it works, you feel like patting yourself on the back.

*with some top notch GSR help...
                      This place does indeed rock.

Comment

Glad to hear you're back up and running, Dave!
                        I admire the the guts it took for you to tackle this for someone who "didn't ever want to see his transmission gears".
                        Good job.
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                          Glad to hear you're back up and running, Dave!
                          I admire the the guts it took for you to tackle this for someone who "didn't ever want to see his transmission gears".
                          Good job.
                          THanks.

I must say that I was at a dead-end more than once. THe advice and encouragment here got me going again.

And your fine service made all the difference between keeping my GK going and it being useless. Or I would have swapped out with another gear set, and the shimming and all that would have been quite questionable.

Dave

PS: I still dont want to ever see any of my transmission gears. THis is as close to transmission gears that I ever want to see.
                          Last edited by Redman; 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Took another look at that broken-off-nut .
                            Oh, Yeah, That had been rattling around in there for some time.

It was the last couple weeks that I noticed the shuttering on decell, and getting more severe quickly.
                            But the last year and a half, or longer, had been hearing some thing that wasnt quite the gear whine folks had been trying to describe. Was a bit more of a whoodle-whoodle than was a whine. And this repair took care of that too. Man, so much smoother and quiter... now I am back to hearing that airbox vibration/resonance/howl , and of course the various rattles and buzzes of the dern GK fairing.

Comment

Congratulations on getting it fixed!
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Woohoo !
                                Great news -
                                I find it incredible that people; who would be strangers if not for this site, step up and help with no expectations of anything more than a thank you .
                                And the encouragement and helpful advice given is priceless.
                                I too have been at my wits end at times working on my 850 -
                                And then I take a break - ask for advice- get some online help - a text or two - and back at it
                                until I hit the next stumbling point - lather-rinse-repeat-
                                AND THEN --!
                                BAM - the problem is resolved and I am a way better wrench hand than I was before having learned something new today
                                Ride safe and ride often
                                Currently in the Stable :
                                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                                X