Should I rebuild my engine, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I rebuild my engine, any advice?

I've invested a lot of time (and money) rebuilding my 83 gs1100gk but I haven't done anything to the motor. Mostly because I'm scared of screwing something up but also because I'm not sure where to start.

The reason I want to do this is cause my block seal is leaking a bit of oil and I was thinking that this could be my winter project. I know I'm getting ahead of myself and I'll deal with the small leak for this season but am I opening a can of worms/money pit? I figure once I start taking the engine apart, knowing me I'll want to clean and replace parts. Should I commit to this and or will this make a difference ?

Thanks.

The cylinder base gasket is leaking? If so, where is it most obvious?
    How many miles on this critter?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      The cylinder base gasket is leaking? If so, where is it most obvious?
      How many miles on this critter?
      34543.9. Yeah just in the front in that peak between exhausts 2 and 3.

Bought it front the original owner and I don't think he's ever done any engine work to her.

Comment

how many KMs have you put on the bike since getting it back up and running? sometimes you luck out and things seal up again, sometimes.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Are you sure it's not the cam chain tensioner that is leaking and the oil is running down the front? They are notorious for leaking and it's an easy fix.

What oil are you running? Fully synthetic can sometimes find leaks where normal oil doesn't.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Hillsy -I think you mean the tach drive? The tensioner is on the back of the motor.

Before you start tearing into the motor, you should locate the source of the leak. Valve cover gasket and tach drive are the most common oil leak sources, and both are easy fixes
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sorry - I thought he meant at the bottom of the cylinder block.

Yeah - anything up top where you are saying is external gaskets (cam cover, tach drive, etc).
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Start with a top end and jugs tear down. It's not that difficult.

See my GS1100G blog in my sig.

Yes it will cost you gaskets and time and if you start to get adventurous and take the engine out, it will cost you quite a bit more in seals and potentially tools that you haven't got.

Don't be afraid. We've all been there.
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  how many KMs have you put on the bike since getting it back up and running? sometimes you luck out and things seal up again, sometimes.
                  Not much. Maybe 20kms.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    Are you sure it's not the cam chain tensioner that is leaking and the oil is running down the front? They are notorious for leaking and it's an easy fix.

What oil are you running? Fully synthetic can sometimes find leaks where normal oil doesn't.
                    Just plain ole Castro 10x30

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Hillsy -I think you mean the tach drive? The tensioner is on the back of the motor.

Before you start tearing into the motor, you should locate the source of the leak. Valve cover gasket and tach drive are the most common oil leak sources, and both are easy fixes
                      Where the tach connects it can leak oil? That might be my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre View Post
                        Just plain ole Castro 10x30
                        Hopefully you ain't using an auto oil... Try changing to a 10-40 or 15-40 oil designed for air cooled bikes. As was mentioned, run it a bit to see if the leak seals itself.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          Hopefully you ain't using an auto oil... Try changing to a 10-40 or 15-40 oil designed for air cooled bikes. As was mentioned, run it a bit to see if the leak seals itself.
                          No no its motorcycle oil. Ok thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Does the tach drive have a seal or external gasket. Let me check the parts schematics.

Comment

The tach drive sleeve has an O-ring on the outside and a seal inside that contacts the drive gear. It also can wear a groove in the drive gear. All are cheap to replace. BWringer has a great write up on the job.

My cam cover was leaking and showing up down below, looking more like a head or base gasket leak. Around $50 for cam cover gasket and rubber end plugs and no wafting aroma of hot burning oil!
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X