• Show
Clear All

How's the hand today?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for asking.
      A little sore but not too bad. Could have been so much worse. Merely a flesh wound. Tonight I remembered I had a pack of these little gems. They’re a lot more expensive than an sos pad, but really make short work of it, and I’m impatient. Did manage to wrap my tshirt in the Dremel bit. Much less trauma. Quickly pulled the plug.

On a related note: it would appear that I have found the valve adjuster nut that caused the damage inside the head of my original engine. I just happened to see it laying on the garage floor hiding on a rug. I still want to tear down that engine completely, later.

On another related note: donor engine struck #4 piston rings still soaking. I came across this eBay sale for 4 pistons with rings with 1500 miles on them. For $30, I figured it’s worth a shot. Waiting on those and base gasket. I should get the frame and wiring mostly put back together this weekend.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-15-2020, 07:11 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry about the hand. As for catching your shirt in the Dremel, maybe wear a tighter fitting shirt, or tuck it in?

You sure are making short work of this project. Someday I hope to do the same.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Drawing a little blood during a restoration is the right of passage. Drink a beer and kiss the boo boo and keep going.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My friend calls it donating knuckle meat to the gods. I ripped open my knuckle once tightening a drill bit. Tip: do this without the drill plugged in. My hand slipped and hit the trigger, and the chuck cut to the bone, still have the scar.

I use a weak mixture, probably 1:4 of muriatic acid (pool cleaner) and water on rust, being very careful and using baking soda in water to rinse. Maybe there's some down side to this but it works fast and gets it all, nothing metal it hasn't quickly cleaned up.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I always brag about how much blood sweat and tears I put into my projects and only a couple of them over the years were just sweat. Keep at it though.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Made good progress this weekend. Frame and front end are all back together. Working on re-establishing the grounds on the rear turn signals. Will finish cleaning up the electrics this week and test. Maybe if I get my base gasket and new pistons/rings this week I can get the engine back together and installed next weekend.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

That's so beautiful, Rich!

I can't imagine my bike not having dust, grime, oil...

Taking your time and seeing the results...that's so soothing to the motorcycle soul.

Thanks for sharing...this means alot, especially during this time.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks Ed. One grimeless ride is all I want. Haha

Ed, since you’ve got a T or 2, I’ve got a question for ya. Studying the parts fiches as one does with such a project, I’ve become aware that my bike didn’t have these 2 frame pieces #17 & #18 on the pic below. I can’t imagine where they would go, or what purpose they would serve. Do you have and pics or thoughts?

Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I’ve looked at both bikes tonight and can’t identify those parts locations. It’s late but I can look again tomorrow.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Thanks Ed. One grimeless ride is all I want. Haha

Ed, since you’ve got a T or 2, I’ve got a question for ya. Studying the parts fiches as one does with such a project, I’ve become aware that my bike didn’t have these 2 frame pieces #17 & #18 on the pic below. I can’t imagine where they would go, or what purpose they would serve. Do you have and pics or thoughts?

They are likely plastic panels for in front of the tank on the frame.

comme ca.

1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I think this is the exact part

Part was removed from a 1983 Suzuki GS750 T. 1983 Suzuki GS 750 Used Motorcycle Parts For Sale - YouTube. Shelf 3-2-6-C. I will do my best to resolve the issue. -Mounting hardware is only included if it is shown in the pictures.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They’re neck covers...I don’t have them.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks. I’m not looking to buy any. I haven’t missed them for the last 15+ Years
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Those are plastic covers for L models only, as far as I'm aware.
                                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                                X