No announcement yet.

750 TSCC Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most models, from various diagrams I've looked at, have and extra brown wire for accessory lights that's not attached to anything. The "T" does not. Found a bunch of wires in the bucket that come on with the key, so I connected to one of those and ground into the turn signal ground connector. All the wires in the bucket that I tested seem to show the same, roughly -.4v difference from the measurement directly on the battery terminals. As long as I remember that, I'm OK. But I'm going to clean as many connections as I can find and see if I can minimize that drop a little more.

Thanks
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Not finding much in either of my manuals about these oil passages? On both left and right sides of the base gasket surFace on the top of the engine case. They spin but don’t screw out nor in. Is there anything special I need to check with these? I blew air into them. They appear to be clear but not sure.

Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Moving forward. Further tear down of the 82 original engine revealed a front cam chain guide with scoliosis and a cracked vertebrae, right at the angle near the top.

Since the pistons and rings in the 82 engine look really good, I’m using them in rebuilding the donor 80. Remember, the donor engine had a piston with stuck rings, still soaking. eBay 1500mi pistons & rings, if they ever come (I’m having doubts) will be used if/when I rebuild the original 82 engine.

Last week, while waiting on parts, started studying about cylinder honing. Bought a bottle brush hone, and gave it a try just moments go. I think I did OK.

Before:

After:

Im ready to mount the Cylinders and Head and have questions on the gaskets.
        the base gasket appears to be the same on both sides except one side is darker. Is there a top/ bottom? Doesn’t matter?

The head gasket had HEAD written on one side. It seems obvious that this side is meant to go up, and not towards the cylinders. BUT, I know what happens when I assume. So unless someone tells me otherwise, it’s HEADs up.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Busy bee, aren't you...Rich?

Looking good!

Sorry I can't help you with questions. I would agree with your assessment of the HEAD gasket though...makes sense.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Following along here. I look forward to seeing your posts here Rich.

You'll be back on the road in no time at this rate.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Be sure to clean your bores really, squeaky clean
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Be sure to clean your bores really, squeaky clean
                Yep, done. Thanks. Right now I’m trying to improvise a ring compressor from strips of soda bottle plastic and zip ties. I forgot to look for hose clamps at the Hardware store today. Steve claims he just uses his fingers. I’m having no luck with that at all.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! (In my best Rick Flair voice). My apologies for ever doubting Steve. All rings slipped in just using my fingers. After, of course, getting the top of the rear cam chain guide stuck in the tensioner hole. Back up. And then getting the cam chain pinched between cylinders and case out the front. Back up. But then....but then. SUCCESS!!!!!! I may ride tomorrow. But I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll take these small victories as they come.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-24-2020, 09:49 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Nice. Glad to see the progress.,,
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Great job Rich; watching with interest
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I didn’t mean to work until after midnight but I just had to get the engine all ready to go in the frame. We’ll see how long I can stand to let my teenage boys sleep before I roust them to come help dad with some heavy lifting.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Dang, Rich!

I’m just now going to bed...it’s 1:27am.

You are very much determined. Sleep well.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I’m going for a ride! Heres the first startup video. Ok. My wife interrupted the first one, my son interrupted the second one. This is the third try at a first start up video. Wondering about the self -returning choke thumb lever. It never did that before. Also wondering why my oil light might be one when running. I put exactly 4 qts of oil in. As far as I know I connected the sensor wire correctly. I’ll get on figuring that out later. IM GOING FOR A RIDE! .
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Awesome Rich!!! You are the man! The engine sounds great. ��
                              Yeah, check out that oil light situation. I thought I saw it blink once...
                              Last edited by storm 64; 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM.
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I sure hope the oil light is an electrical problem and that your ride goes / went well.. there's a pressure swith somewhere. Not sure where on the 750. Personally I'd sort that before riding it..

Choke lever has a screw on the bottom. Tighten it up a touch. .
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X