Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top end rebuild new cam chain noise?

Hey all,
    I've been wrenching a lot on my 1982 gs750t during quarantine and completed a top end rebuild. Got it started and no leaks so far but there's a noise that becomes more noticeable at higher revs. To note the head is off a (1982?) gs1100/gs1000 (along with the master cylinder I discovered recently). The noise seems to not be on a specific side and seems to be central and I believe it to be the cam chain. I plan on reinstalling the cam-chain tensioner and maybe taking the head cover back off next week, but just wanted to gather thoughts. Included video:

Any input is appreciated!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bikes:
    2016 Suzuki TU250X (Daily/Commuter)
    1982 Suzuki GS750T (Project)
    1979 Suzuki GS750 (in pieces)

Cage:
    2005 Subaru WRX Wagon sh*t box

Are you saying you are running the engine without the cam chain tensioner installed?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No it’s installed but I think incorrectly
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

Okay I took the cam cover off, reinstalled the cams and put it back together and it made the same sound. However when I turn the cam chain tensioner clockwise it goes away but if I let off it backs off enough to start making the sound again. I’m guessing the tensioner is at fault :/
        Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

Are you turning the knob on the tensioner while the motor is running?
            I should think doing so is ill advised. The servicing information for the tensioner is in the manual.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I was briefly and the noise seemed to stop. Posted a video of me doing that when it was idling.
              Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

I'm no expert but turning the big knob a little doesn't hurt anything and does run a little quieter but I don't think "quieter" tells you anything about the engine itself. Loosening it would seem to have no effect on cam-timing and if it gets too loose it'll be jerking slack when you twerk the engine..that can't be good. It's similar to the drive chain- too loose and it jerks.

Just like the drive chain, you can measure the cam chain's length against the manual's specs and inspect the cam sprockets for wear. I'd think that's the place to start if you have a worry about the cam-chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  I'm no expert but turning the big knob a little doesn't hurt anything and does run a little quieter but I don't think "quieter" tells you anything about the engine itself. Loosening it would seem to have no effect on cam-timing and if it gets too loose it'll be jerking slack when you twerk the engine..that can't be good. It's similar to the drive chain- too loose and it jerks.

Just like the drive chain, you can measure the cam chain's length against the manual's specs and inspect the cam sprockets for wear. I'd think that's the place to start if you have a worry about the cam-chain.
                  Thank you, I will look into that. Had the cams out yesterday and the sprockets seemed healthy. Should I also look at the guides? I had to reinstall one when I rebuilt it, so I worry...
                  Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

I just adjusted my timing chain and cam sprockets Friday. My 1100G makes the same sound as yours, it only went away at over 4000 RPM.
                    I'm not going to tighten that outer spring because the Suzuki service manual said if it works, leave it alone. It's the inner spring that does the work of tightening the timing chain.
                    All bikes have a noisy valve train, just look at what all's going on under the cover.
                    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Update today:
                      I took the cam tensioner from my parts bike (1979 gs750) and took out the internals out and put it the shell of the gs750t tensioner.
                      One from the parts bike:

One from the original:

The sound went away with the one from the parts bike. From the looks of it, the original isn't keeping tension. Is it serviceable or should pick up a replacement on ebay?
                      Bikes:

Cage:

Comment

My 650 shop manual has a decent take-apart page on these. I'd take them apart and mixnmatch to build a good one.
                        ..the shaft on the lowest pic looks bent? possible done removing carbs or ..?

Comment

You can tighten the outer spring by taking off the nut, twisting the spring tighter by 1 or 2 revs, then put the bolt back on and tighten.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Intersting...you have a "T" with cam chain tensioner issues.

Here's a link that can help with some questions:

https://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

And post a pic of your "T" here:

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                            X