No announcement yet.

Weeping oil from cam rubbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that aftermarket plugs, are a tad shorter longitudinally (looking at them from the verso they are mounted), so when installing them dry, they kept popping out, upon laying the cover.

So, I ended up re-installing the old ones, with a light smear of gasket cement.

Sorry for making it sound more complicated than it needed be, on my previous post.
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 02-24-2022, 10:37 AM.
    GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      Heck I even have that on hand, and yeah it'll stick to everything. I use it very sparingly, a little dab'll do ya. Reversing worked a treat so I'm OK with that. I think I read up to use Yamabond or equivalent but it wasn't right for the job. I wonder what was used by Suzuki new.
      Manual call for Suzuki bond doubt it much different than yambond?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well shoot. All this talk of using something on these seals makes me think I did it wrong. I installed them dry on my 750. Haven't ran the engine yet so we'll see what happens.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I started installing them backwards ages ago. And whenever possible, I re-use the old ones with a light smear of sealer; new ones, even from Suzuki, stick up too much.

On cars, these sorts of half-moon seals always have a double lip. Why Suzuki couldn't get on board with this highly advanced technology I'll never know.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Advanced technology??? Usually I find this kind of stuff advertised as new & improved.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The original post asks about 1983 GS750E cam rubbers. The 83 750E uses a one piece rubber gasket with cam rubbers built in like a GS1150. I would say remove the cover and check the condition of the rubber gasket and replace if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                The original post asks about 1983 GS750E cam rubbers. The 83 750E uses a one piece rubber gasket with cam rubbers built in like a GS1150. I would say remove the cover and check the condition of the rubber gasket and replace if necessary.
                I was thinking the same thing.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                  Huh, I had no idea!

So yeah, that.

And for everyone with "traditional" valve cover gaskets, well, there's still a lot of good into here.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X