750 cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    True Zooks, and i dont fault anyone for polishing, and i DO polish. But in my case, most of anything *I* have built, especially this particular cafe im working on now, eliminates as much of the polishing bits is as tasteful. For instance, my spokes. Blacked out. Not only does it eliminate the need for CONSTANT polishing as they generally are the quickest to get nasty, but frankly, i think the black spokes look pretty bad ass. Again, just my opinion.
    I know where you are coming from. I don't polish everything. My current bike is called the 'Cafe Pig' for a reason.

Comment

nice project

First off, your bike is looking really good, i got mine from a friend cause he got a new one and the first thing i did was change the bars, i was going to put cafe bars on it but decided to go with the daytona style for starters. I saw that you were debating what to do about pod filters and jet size. What are the pros and cons to this? and do you have any idea of what size they are now i think they are #100, and how big to go with the pods.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
        First off, your bike is looking really good, i got mine from a friend cause he got a new one and the first thing i did was change the bars, i was going to put cafe bars on it but decided to go with the daytona style for starters. I saw that you were debating what to do about pod filters and jet size. What are the pros and cons to this? and do you have any idea of what size they are now i think they are #100, and how big to go with the pods.
        Pros: You can get a little bit of a performance boost, and they look cooler (in my opinion)

Cons: Difficult to get the settings right. I still don't have mine dialed in 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
          Pros: You can get a little bit of a performance boost, and they look cooler (in my opinion)

Cons: Difficult to get the settings right. I still don't have mine dialed in 100%.
          But isn't it funny how you learn to ride 'around' the flat spot?

Comment

True, you definitely adjust. I think the biggest thing I noticed after switching to pods was that it was very important that I roll the throttle. Before I could yank it open and it didn't really matter. Now if I do that there is a definite hesitation.

I switched to pods pretty late last season, so I never really had the time to get it just right.

A friend who switched to pods on his 1000 earlier than I finally got his setup right, and the first time I rode it I could hardly believe it. I know a 1000 is going to be quicker than a 750, but this thing was just sick. The first time I yanked the front off the ground I knew I was in for some fun, cause that is one heavy bike to be playing that trick.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
              Here is a youtube video of me revving the engine. I still have some fine tuning to do, but you kind of get an idea of what the bike sounds like:

Did some carb work, and I am testing it out.

The list of projects is still large, but it is steadily getting smaller.

Tomorrow my replacement taillight arrives. I am a little annoyed that I bought it last Monday night and it won't get here till tomorrow. The ebay guy might have a good excuse, and I don't want to be a jerk about it, but a 9-10 day wait for something is getting a little bit long in this day and age.
              I had to laugh when I saw this. I first saw it like a couple of months ago, back when I still wanted a CB750, and was sitting googling and youtubing cafe racers looking for inspiration

A small world...
              Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

yeah, it kind of wierds me out when I see that it has been viewed almost 9000 times, and the other video about 45,000 times.

Comment

What is the other one?

Comment

ok, I realize this is a really old thread, but I came across it doing a search for "folding foot pegs" (stock solid pegs gave me a bit of a scare, I'll spare you the details). I really love cafe racers when they're done right....but there's some really ugly attempts/half a$$ed cafe projects out there. I saw the first couple of pics and thought "here goes another GS ruined by a budget cafe job".... then I read through the entire thread in one sitting and was pleasantly surprised! Top notch work, and very innovative solutions to problems. The end result was an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS bike!!! I'd love to see what this bike looks like now, if he's still even got it.
                    I like looking at older threads on builds, because I get the instant gratification of seeing the project from start to finish in one sitting.

Comment

a little bump...

Its been a while with no activity here on this one!

Just want to compliment your bike! Very cool!

Its almost exactly what I plan to do on mine!

Hows it looking now-a-days?

Comment

In a word, she's lonely. I had a couple small issues that I wanted to correct before I plated her this summer. Nothing mechanical, she starts and runs fine. I needed to make a new plate mount and wire in plate lights.

Sadly, between projects around the house and chasing a toddler I haven't had a chance to do the work, or get a plate. One more summer of no riding. Another friend of mine also has a daughter the same age as mine, and his bike is about as far back in his garage as mine is. We have shared more than one rueful laugh about it this summer.

Next summer I swear I am going to ride.

Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Crap. i just realized you bumped the really old thread.

This is where it stands now:

Comment

dude...I really love your bike!

Comment

Working...
                            X