GS1000S paint work started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S paint work started

Finally got a good day of work in the garage this past Saturday. Pretty much got all the body work for the S done with the exception of some finish details on the front fender.

Had to lengthen the mounting point on the Honda CB1100F fender. Need another 1/2" so I fiberglassed it on both sides. It's really strong.

After grinding it a little closer to the finished shape, I drilled the new holes for the GS forks.

I'll take it closer to the holes and make the lines a little more flowing looking before a skim coat of body filler to finish it off.

Fairing came out good. One small scuff on the right front to repair. A pain to get all the factory decals off after 30 years.
    Last edited by nvr2old; 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Had to fix a couple of cracks and I also filled the dimples in the center of the side covers.

The top of the tank had a few dings, light dents, and waves.

The right side of the tank was really clean.

The left side needed the most work. Pretty good sized dent in the front, several dings and waves along the bottom. Smoothed out real nice. Should have primer in the next couple of days, and possibly the first of the three colors by the weekend.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Those sanding marks in the panels and left side of tank look pretty deep, is it just camera trickery or have you a spot more flatting to do before paint?

Can't wait to see this finished, you gotta love a fresh paint job. I'd love to "S" my "E" but time and other "wants" won't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
        Those sanding marks in the panels and left side of tank look pretty deep, is it just camera trickery or have you a spot more flatting to do before paint?

Can't wait to see this finished, you gotta love a fresh paint job. I'd love to "S" my "E" but time and other "wants" won't allow it.

I thought the same thing, like it needs a higher grit

Comment

180 grit is fine before priming. Then after sand to 400 in steps before the base coat. She looks good - nice work. Did you use a 2-part filler?

Comment

I wouldn't go to paint on those side panels as shown in the pics. You can still clearly see the original stripes on the sides of the panels and those scratches just look too deep to me. It may be camera trickery i s'pose.

I'm not a pro paint sprayer so i may be way off here, i just hate doing something twice (which i have plenty experience of!), worth a bit more effort with a finer paper in my opinion before going to paint.

I'm sure nvr2old knows what he's doing anyway, can't wait to see the fresh paint laid on there.

Comment

All of the pieces are far from done. The body work has just been roughed-out. Everything is sanded with 80 grit at this point. Starting with course paper works really well for getting the correct shape. Too fine, and it doesn't "cut". The side covers will get some 100 grit block sanded over them to feather out the edges a bit more and then 4-5 coats of primer. The tank is ready for primer at this point. You need "tooth" for the product to adhere. I'll shoot everything with a high-fill primer, block sand with 180 grit, prime again, block with 400, and then see how it feels. If it needs a few more coats of primer then blocked again, no sweat. I use automotive PPG paint and primers that are all 2-3 part products. Nice stuff. As far as sand paper, 36 grit to start, 2500 grit to finish, everything else in between. It'll have a way better then factory, show-quality finish when it's done, I gaurentee.
              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I was going to butt in here with "depends on the primer used". I Always use a high build one to start off with....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I was going to butt in here with "depends on the primer used". I Always use a high build one to start off with....

Dan
                  On the tank I'd use some self-etching to get a good surface, then go with a build primer.

Next week I need to spray if the bike is going to be ready for the wedding.

Comment

I use automotive PPG paint and primers that are all 2-3 part products. Nice stuff.
                    When I used that on my ED, it made it sooooo easy.

My tank and panels were not bad at all, but after a little filler in some dents, I was stressing about feathering the Bondo into bare metal. I was not sure how well the PPG primer would fill. Well it worked great and I only had to to do one primer coat.

Great stuff.

i have several moto paint jobs planned this summer (maybe 4).

Pos

Comment

Today's paint products are amazing. The high-fill primer will easily fill 80 grit scratches, and the final clear coats will totally bury the stripes and lettering. I always hesitate (especially to customers) to show the prep stages of a really nice paint job. They're always horrified at how scratched up and ugly all the parts are..until seeing all the steps, and how each progressive one smooths and straightens out the parts right before their very eyes. Painting is pretty much secondary, prep is everything. It's a cool and very satisfying process.
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Used my BOSCHE orbital sander with some 60 grit pads to take the paint off: Nice bite for the primer.

Comment

NVR2OLD-Thanks for taking the time to post these pics. I'm learning paint and autobody now as a hooby, and knew you know your stuff by the way you are feather your sanding. Goog job, please keep up the photo's. I appreciate the in between stage pics!

Comment

Posplayer-how many pads did you go though total for the tank, 4 or so? Are the Bosche sanding pads expensive?

Comment

Jim, That Tecate matches your bike...

Comment

Working...
                              X