No announcement yet.

GS1000S paint work started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got to spray the first color today. Black. For the pinstripes. Painting a wide spot makes it easier for me to visualize the striping a little better..especially on the top of the tank. Black is a nice palette to work off of with light-colored tape.

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

A good painter friend of mine showed me an easy way to check how straight something is after its block sanded, wipe some wax and grease remover over it to make it shine, then hold it up to natural light.

I love this stage. Everything starts to payoff.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Weather got real nice this past week, up into the high 70's low 80's..perfect for the primer stage. Got it primed and blocked twice in the last few days, once with 180 and once with 320 grit. I like to guide coat everything before block sanding. It makes it so nice for finding every little sand scratch.

All the parts turned out real nice.

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished paint job, this is looking fantastic so far, nice work!

Comment

looks really good! just painted mine too and so far your prep work looks better than mine! do you use bc/cc or ss? i used ppg's dcc urethane and i really like that paint, it holds up really well.

Comment

Originally posted by skifast1080 View Post
              looks really good! just painted mine too and so far your prep work looks better than mine! do you use bc/cc or ss? i used ppg's dcc urethane and i really like that paint, it holds up really well.
              Thanks for the compliment. I'd like to see your bike. I also use PPG products. Urethane, base coat/clear coat, yes. Got to the pin striping stage today. Thought I'd attach a few pics if anyone might be interested.

The side covers took about 2 minutes to lay one 1/4'" piece of 3M Fine Line down on each for the black pin stripe. The front fender took a little bit longer. Basically reversed the design of the original fender stripe to match the round stripe that's on the lower fairing and on the top of the tank.

Used the 1/4" tape as a measuring tool to get the stripe widths correct.

The S fairing has such a beautiful body contour to follow. I've always loved the lines of these fairings.

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

The tank took quite awhile to lay the stripes out on. Something I know is even more difficult after a couple of brews..but never seems to sink in.. I always start with a center line and work out from there, following the pictures I took before stripping the old paint off.

The first side always takes the longest. Getting it to look just like the factory took several attempts. No time to get queasy about using mass amounts of very expensive tape.

2 hours later, it's looking pretty good. If they look good to the eye, then they're good to go to me. Everything is ready to be sprayed white now. The I'll lay a 1/4" piece of Fine Line up against the one used to mask the black pin stripe to make the 1/4" white pin stripe. I'll mask off all the white areas, and then spray the blue. Should be ready for clear coats this weekend.

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Looks good! I have an S that is most likely going to get this same treatment later in the year.

Regarding the clear, what are you using? Saw that you are using PPG but what particular flavor? They have several. My favorite PPG clear is the 2001/2002 series, but it's hard to come by here in CA - not sure if PPG even makes it anymore. Very good stuff if you can get your hands on it.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've got a few paint jobs to do this year and am watching with great interest as well. Especially interested in the progression of different colors.

I have a few question if you don't mind? (I scanned the thread but am still left with these questions)

What is that grease/wax remover? Have a particular brand?

Also what type of tape are you using "3M Fine Line" comes in diff sizes ? Is this something that would be standard at a paint shop?

Looks like you are taping over about a 400 wet sand?

You also mentioned "guide coat" earlier when premiering; I assume that is the darker grey primer fog to find low spots. What do you use more PPG dark primer or can you rattle can something since it is all getting sanded off anyway?

Doing black pin stripes, it would be very difficult to tape off both lines so I can see how the natural approach is to put down the black first and then cover that with the 1/4" inch 3M Fine Line. However, it would seem if there was an option that the darker colors would go on last. Are there any issues with painting white over the black in terms of coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Looks good! I have an S that is most likely going to get this same treatment later in the year.

Regarding the clear, what are you using? Saw that you are using PPG but what particular flavor? They have several. My favorite PPG clear is the 2001/2002 series, but it's hard to come by here in CA - not sure if PPG even makes it anymore. Very good stuff if you can get your hands on it.
                      The PPG clear I use is called "Concept" DCU 2021. A little pricey but a great product. Really covers well. Tough when it's cured. I checked out your album on your own S model..boy, does that bring back memories. Your bike is in pretty much the same condition mine was when I started. Sure seems like a long time ago, even though it's only been just under a year since I started on mine. I'll be anxious to see your progress as it moves along, too.
                      1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I've got a few paint jobs to do this year and am watching with great interest as well. Especially interested in the progression of different colors.

I have a few question if you don't mind? (I scanned the thread but am still left with these questions)

What is that grease/wax remover? Have a particular brand?

Also what type of tape are you using "3M Fine Line" comes in diff sizes ? Is this something that would be standard at a paint shop?

Looks like you are taping over about a 400 wet sand?

You also mentioned "guide coat" earlier when premiering; I assume that is the darker grey primer fog to find low spots. What do you use more PPG dark primer or can you rattle can something since it is all getting sanded off anyway?

Doing black pin stripes, it would be very difficult to tape off both lines so I can see how the natural approach is to put down the black first and then cover that with the 1/4" inch 3M Fine Line. However, it would seem if there was an option that the darker colors would go on last. Are there any issues with painting white over the black in terms of coverage?
                        The wax and grease remover is another PPG product. Simply called Acrylic Wax and Grease Remover. One can will last a looonng time. Perfect for getting off any last oily residue left by your fingers even.

3M Fine Line comes in a lot of different widths 1/32"-1/2". It's nice to be able to buy just what you need. This plastic tape leaves perfectly clean, sharp edges and is very easy to manipulate around curves. Available at auto paint stores. All tape should be 3M w/o question. The best is hard to beat.

I final block sanded the primer with 320, sprayed the black, and then took the shine off the black with 600. Makes a nice smooth base to lay the tape over.

Guide coat can be anything on hand actually. Rattle can flat black works great.

No problem with the white covering the black. It's so much easier to do the stripes on this particular scheme this way. Can't do it this way all the time, but works well with this layout. I'm getting ready to go out and spray the white right now, (after adjusting the right side taped stripe around the gas filler a bit..ha) I'll try to post some more pics tonight. Blue tomorrow, clear coats by the weekend if all goes well.
                        Last edited by nvr2old; 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM.
                        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Just got the white sprayed. Looks like it went back to primer.. Nice creamy white, sprayed really dry, just enough to cover. Also got the seat pan trim and the tail piece done, too. They just needed a dusting to make sure the color matches. The top of the tail piece is too nice to mess with. I'll let it set until tomorrow, then mask off the white pin stripes and add the blue.

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Nvr2old-THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to take detailed pictures and notes on your project. I'll be painting my bike this fall and this helps A LOT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oshanac View Post
                              Nvr2old-THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to take detailed pictures and notes on your project. I'll be painting my bike this fall and this helps A LOT!!!
                              You're very welcome. I've been doing this for 30 years, and have known and worked with some of the best custom painters in the world that've helped me learn these techniques, so I like to pay that back whenever I can.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Working...
                                X