X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Caliper: Paint or Powder?

I am stripped and ready to go:

See my rebuild thread: GS1100 Restoration Thread

Should I paint or powder coat? VHT caliper paint looks nice but I have had some bubbling issues when curing. So what should I prepare the bare metal with to prevent this?

Or should I just send it with the frame to the powder coaters to put on a nice satin black?

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

unless you are planning on using DOT 5 brake fluid, just remember no paint is brake fluid proof. P/C stands up pretty well to it
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you powdercoat, be sure to mask off the parts that should not be coated.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if you can and the powder coating is affordable do it, if not, the VHT works well

before

and after

so far no issues, paint is holding up well,,,,,I did not cure in an oven, they just sat in the open air on the shelf for about 2 weeks until I was ready to use them, and to this day they are still holding up well.

Cheers

Comment

PC is better, but paint is easier. And since you're renewing the entire system, you could refill it with DOT 5 or 5.1 and avoid any future issues.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
            PC is better, but paint is easier. And since you're renewing the entire system, you could refill it with DOT 5 or 5.1 and avoid any future issues.
            DOT 5.1 will still eat the paint. DOT 5 is the ONLY paint safe brake fluid as it is silicone based.
            DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are all polyethylene glycol-based.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Wilkinsons do an 'own brand' BBQ paint similar to the Plasticote stuff. It takes a long time to dry but it's reasonably resistant to brake fluid and is the 'right black' for your calipers.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hampshirehog - thanks for that. We have a Wilkinsons in Canterbury and I'm guessing it will be cheaper than the VHT stuff. I'll give it a try.

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

There are epoxy-based brake caliper paints. G2 is widely available in the States. Check Amazon and ebay in the UK.

Comment

Those calipers need to be media blasted, or somehow otherwise remove all the old surface corrosion otherwise the paint won't last.

I'd go with either powder coat, or some sort of catalyzed urethane or special moisture cure type paint (like Por-15). The durability of these paints is far better than just about any kind of rattle can paint you can find.

DOT 5 brake fluid won't eat paint, but it has other drawbacks. For example, it's know to create a more spongy brake lever feel, and is not compatible with more conventional brake fluids. Not worth it in my opinion.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Still got problems

Help me out here guys. The powder coaters said they wouldn't paint them so I had another go myself and it still bubbled up:

See my GS1100G Blog - Caliper Painting Problem

I ultrasonically cleaned them as well this time round.

Here they are painted:

and then after curing:

I think it is oxidation in those areas. I either need to vapour blast them first or bake them in the oven to make sure the oxidation is not holding any moisture. What do you think?

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't know what is causing your bubbling issue.....

but why not paint them and let them air dry

It's how I did mine and I have no issues with them at all...

I did mine early on in my rebuild so they hung around for a few weeks or so before I installed them on the bike.

Comment

Do what he factory does, black anodize.
                          Then they are brake fluid proof as well.

Comment

Here's some pic's of my unloved calipers as they now sit on the bike, unwashed and painted a couple of years ago. I did not remove them when I painted them, no prep work other than washing the bike and masking them off, which was by far the hardest part (I'm so lazy!).

These are on the GS1000, which I used Dupli Color Low Gloss Black, I really liked the way they turned out. They'd look better if I washed the bike.

These are on my GS1100 where I used Dupli Color Semi-Gloss Black (wished I used the low gloss instead, I mean they're calipers, get dirty, etc. Low gloss doesn't show the dirt as much). No bubbles, lucky I guess.

sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              and then after curing:

What do you think?
                              I think that something is being held in the pores of the metal or the paint and is being released as the caliper dries.

Yes I did read where you ultrasonically cleaned them, but as you can clearly see the crater pop as the contaminant rises to the surface. It almost looks like solvent pop.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X