Paint carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint carburetors

What paint has been used successfully for the carburetors? Or does anyone have a better way to make them look presentable?

i used something like this on one set
    Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Comment

Vapor blast them
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisHombre View Post
        Or does anyone have a better way to make them look presentable?
        A lot of that would depend on your definition of "presentable".

Some prefer the look of the bare, silver carbs, others prefer paint or some other coating to match or contrast with the bike.

I have used caliper paint with good results.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not a fan of painted carbs. If at some point of time in the future you need to dip them the paint will come off and make a huge mess.

When restoring carbs I like to bead blast the bodies after removing or masking off the steel parts. If you really want them to look pristine get yourself a zinc plating kit from Caswell's and redo the tarnished steel parts. Good fun.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wow all great suggestions. I agree that for future cleaning I may not want to paint them. I think vapor blast might be the way to go. Thank you for the excellent suggestions. Steve your bike looks great.

Comment

Vapour Blasted Carbs

Here are some before and after on my GS1100 carbs which were in very poor condition:

Carb Vapour Blasting

From this:

to this:

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Wow all great suggestions. I agree that for future cleaning I may not want to paint them.
                I painted, knowing that it might hinder future cleanings, but, if you clean them properly and change all the o-rings, you won't have to clean them again for several years. Just winterize properly (if necessary in your location) and you should be good for a LONG time.

Steve your bike looks great.
                Thanks, but that is Mrs. Steve's bike.

You can click on the links in my sig to see the rest of the stable.

While londonboards' vapourblasting does a pretty good job on cleaning, it just does not quite measure up to this:

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I painted mine but grew tired of the color after only a year or so and tried to change them back. It took a lot of work to remove the old paint and they are still not perfect. Whatever you do, make sure it will be something you want to keep for awhile.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Those bowls look fantastic Steve. I tried to do that on mine but couldn't get them anywhere near that shiny. I tried black, then brown then white compounds on differing buffer wheels. How did you get them so mirror like?
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

White compound on a layered wheel and about two minutes of time.

You want yours to shine like that? Be happy to do them (for a small fee, of course).

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

That's it!? No sanding either? Mabe that's my problem...trying TOO hard haha.
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Very nice, like chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                            That's it!? No sanding either? Mabe that's my problem...trying TOO hard haha.
                            Depends on the starting point. Some do take a light sanding.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I have had good luck with the ceramic paints from VHT and Dupli-Color. I can see where caliper paint would hold up as well. Then I usually just use the grinder with a wire wheel to clean the bowls and tops. They can come out very nice that way. It is just not possible to get that mirror look on the carb bodies since there is so many nooks and crannies. To get the bowls, or any other aluminum part, to look like Steve's is a ton of work. It is my opinion that if you are going to do that then your side covers, and cam ends, better be looking good too.

Maybe some day I'll have my side covers and cam ends chromed. That sounds expensive. One thing I will say, wait until you have got everything ready on those carbs before you paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X