Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allie View Post
    I do mine the Ichiban way.

What's amazing is it really worked. And to think that I've been wasting all that time using sand paper, polishing wheels and mag wheel polish.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Vloukole View Post
      Maybe a stupid question, but when I remove the engine covers on the left and right side, will any oil come pouring out?
      I know that on the one side is the stator but what is on the other side? Gears?
      Not a stupid question at all, thank you for asking it.

The cover on the left side (forward) is the stator cover. Oil WILL come out of there, unless you lean the bike to the right. You can tilt the bike by placing a 2x4 under the left side of the centerstand, the bike will still be surprisingly stable.

The rearward cover on the left side covers the secondary drive and gear shifting area. There is no oil there. You will have to remove the gear shift lever to remove the cover, just note the angle, so you can put it back the same way. You do have to remove this cover to change the secondary drive oil (should be part of your maintenance schedule), so get used to it.

On the right side, the smaller (forward) cover is over the ignition pickups, there is no oil there.

The larger cover on the right side (rearward) is the clutch cover. You will have to remove the clutch cable and maybe the brake arm to get it off. While you have that cover off, take advantage of the opportunity and check the length of your clutch springs. After all these years, there is a good chance they are near the minimum length, so plan on replacing them. The full set of 6 springs is only about $20.

The small round caps near the top of the cylinder head are the cam end covers, there is no oil there, but you might find an oily mess, due to leaky half-moons. Plan on changing them when you do your valve clearance check.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        I have to redo some of mine this season, think I'll do this. Really like the look and it's less work to touch up. You're doing the forks the same aren't you?
        Yes, forks are the same.

Again, for the factory look you don't want to polish. Do your progressive sanding but stop at 600/800. A gray scotchbrite pad is about 600.

When doing the 1000S in the photo my Glisten clear had gone a little cloudy. Not bad enough to make me redo it, but you can do better.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Long live Ichiban!

Comment

That's really cool about leaning the bike, I did not know that.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I do mine the Ichiban way.

Cool, I'll probably experiment with that. I would think that the micro-fiber cloth would get pretty clogged with residue after a while necessitating changing every so often.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

That's really cool about leaning the bike, I did not know that.
                Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                If you lean the bike onto the opposite side it will keep the oil from leaking out. You can put it up on the center stand and place a 2x4 under one side to lean it over enough.
                Yep, I have posted these pictures a few times:

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                  Cool, I'll probably experiment with that. I would think that the micro-fiber cloth would get pretty clogged with residue after a while necessitating changing every so often.
                  Please tell me you are not taking him seriously.
                  No signature

Comment

Check out the Ichibon moto stuff,then check out some of the pop up-ups that come up with it.Good info.Trevor,all info is good info,some is just better than others.Thanks
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                      Check out the Ichibon moto stuff,then check out some of the pop up-ups that come up with it.Good info.Trevor,all info is good info,some is just better than others.Thanks
                      Lol...I'm familiar with his videos...I started a thread in this very forum about them.

Here...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...deos&highlight=
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                        Oh for sure, notice at the end he showed the loaded up pad and said he was going to change it and polish more metal. The whole key to his design is the assembly tape. What he hasn't caught onto yet is that purple assembly tape is more bad ass than silver assembly tape, which is surprising since he knows how bad ass the green and blue zip ties are.
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I guess I'm a novice at "Bad-ass."
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Seriously,when you get everything polished, and if you intend to keep it BARE, and especially if they ever salt your roads- be sure to rinse the bike off after a ride!

Bare aluminum corrodes overnight, ime....I've been experimenting with "Fluid-film" sprayed on a rag and thickly applied....it helps, but needs recoats

I'm going to check out Nessism's tip
                            ....Followed with POR-15 Glisten clear.
                            ,myself. It's got to be better fixing it than re-sanding the aluminum....

Comment

No sanding, no stripping, no chemicals. Just the sewn polishing wheel in my 4" grinder, and both green, and white sticks.

Before...

After...

'83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

And you might as well order some new badges (??? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES ! ! !) (sorry, it always does that...)
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X