intake manifold bolts stuck help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake manifold bolts stuck help!!!!

im trying to get the intake boots off my 82 gs1100g. they appear to be the stock boots on the bike hard as a rock, one pulled clear off the motor bolts still in the block still. my problem is im buying a newer set and i tried to get the old ones off and the bolts feel like there gonna strip so i stopped.but there stuck any help would be great

PB Blaster or similar lubricant (NOT WD40) on each one and an impact driver.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

i put some slick 50 on it over night havent tried yet today. ill have to look into and impact driver will that be able to fit into the frame? never used one but will try it ive put to much in the bike for this to stop me!!

Comment

Exhaust Bolts Removal

Hello I have the exact same bike and did have the same problem a few weeks ago. Here we go:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Also look at my blog is you are doing a GS1100G:

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

When looking at the blog, click on the main starter picture to go the latest postings.

I also put together a GS1100G (also included GS1000) list of great threads on this forum that you can use as a good reference:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Lets see some of your pics.

Good luck and greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

If your impact driver has the removable tip thatn holds the bits, then just take out the battery and add as many extensions as you need to get to the bolts with the impact outside the box..run the extensions down thru the frame to the bolts. Get rid of the cross tip bolts and add in the stainless allen head style and youll not have the problem again.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Try heat and an impact driver. Without the proper tools you will just mess up the screw head.

Comment

If you can get one screw off then you can probably hit the boot counter-clockwise with a hammer to loosen the other.

Comment

I would watch heating anything around the intake boot....dont want to ruin the rubber on it..just saying. Last thing you want to do is start the rubber on fire!!! Or melt it.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I cant find the thread with the pic..but someone posted a pic a while back of them doing the extension thru the airbox / frame area. Thats really the best way I have found for the cross tip screws..snaps them loose right off and then you can get them out of the system for good. I have tried the get one out and tap the boot around thingb too..just to have the boot slide but the screw not untwist or break loose.

Comment

I would watch heating anything around the intake boot....dont want to ruin the rubber on it..just saying. Last thing you want to do is start the rubber on fire!!! Or melt it.
                    A torch with a pencil flame works well. Obviously you want to keep the heat on the bolt and not the boot. Some of the newer bikes have loctite on the bolts and you pretty much have to heat them up to get them off.

Comment

You can get even Loctited bolts out withn the right setup and no heat..just takes more finesse and patience.

Comment

thanks guys i will give it a shot im hoping for the best

Comment

Just did this yesterday, and some PB and an impact driver do wonders. Let the PB set for a little while, and then give it a go with an impact driver. Be warned though, I ruined the philips head on the impact driver (Thank god for Snap-On's warranty).

Comment

I used a pair of needle-nosed vice grips. Start with the #4 boot because it's easily reachable with the grips. Use PB Blaster and soak the bolts for a day or two. Grip the rightside #4 boot bolt and work it back and forth slightly to break it loose. The other (left) bolt in the boot can be broken loose by turning the entire boot counterclockwise. Once #4 is out, continue with #3, etc......You'll ruin the bolts, but, they should be replaced with socket heads anyway.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by rampimpin View Post
                              im trying to get the intake boots off my 82 gs1100g. they appear to be the stock boots on the bike hard as a rock, one pulled clear off the motor bolts still in the block still. my problem is im buying a newer set and i tried to get the old ones off and the bolts feel like there gonna strip so i stopped.but there stuck any help would be great

tig welder, bolt,
                              socket wrench to match. No muss no fuss.
                              Sweet as L

Comment

Working...
                              X