gs1100g carb swop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100g carb swop

Hi folks, sorry for a big ask being my first post. I have now a 1982 gs1100g from the US with seized fuel/air screws, so instead of drilling them out i thought of putting on carbs off a UK bike. Would they work ok and do i have to swop any or all of the jets, diaphrams emulsion tubes ect? Many thanks for any advice, b
    . Has 4 into two original pipes and air box on. Thanks alot for any help
    Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2013, 07:04 AM.

Just relaying this reply from Eric....
    "it would probably run MUCH better than the original carbs?"
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Hi gs1100uk - I'm guessing you are in the UK. There are quite a few of us now. If you get a chance go and join the UK social group here:

UK Social Group

You will get a far better response in this forum if you sort out a signature (see mine below) and you post pictures of your bike and the issue you are having. Also if you let us know where you are, you never know, someone might come and give you a hand!

I was looking at a site yesterday which showed exactly how to extract seized airscrews. Don't do any drilling until I find it and send it to you (have to go out now).

Welcome and greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I guess if Eric is so concerned about this then he shouldn't have gotten his butt bounced from the board.

To the original poster, first of all welcome to the GSR. Second, this may help you decide whether or not if those UK spec'd carbs will be a good choice of not.

What you could also do is use this site http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm to look up the individual components and compare those I.D. numbers to the ones you are looking at as well. Sorry but I don't have a links to any European sites so that you may look up the individual components on carbs you are planning to use in place of the originals.

I hope this helps you...
        Last edited by rustybronco; 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

UK and US 1100Gs had the same carbs so no problems swapping over.

Have you tried a search on here for methods of getting those pesky mixture screws out? They can be buggers but they will come out if you're patient.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. gs1100uk,

As a general rule, the US import bikes were jetted and tuned pretty lean due to our EPA regulations. The rest of the world got carbs that were jetted a little fatter and were made easier to tune. We got caps put on top of the idle mixture screws and told not to touch them. So you can take your UK carbs (Mikukni BS43SS, I think) and jet them according to UK spec and "Bob's your uncle", I believe is your term.

There are also advanced techniques for screw extraction (left handed drill bits, easy outs, heat, PB Blaster, etc), some of which are covered in the carb rebuild guides on my little website. Here's some more information that I hope will be helpful.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The first thing to do is to apply some heat to the carbs with a propane torch. While the carbs are hot, apply some penetrating fluid so it can wick in as the carbs cool.

If that does not break the screws free, you may have to drill them out, but use LEFT-handed drill bits.
              I ride many bikes.
              Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

If you are looking for some local carbs, you can include the 1000G in your search, as they use the same carbs.

Just make sure you get carbs from a 1980 or newer 1000 or 1100 and you should be fine.

If you get carbs from a 1000, you WILL have to change your jets over from your present carbs, but the mixture screws from the 1000 carbs will be fine (they are the same thing).

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How to get air needles out

Here it is. It was on BikeCliff's site:

Needle Removal

Hope that helps. I also get carb rebuild kit from here:

Carb Repair Kits from Retro

although some die hards will advise against repair kits saying that you should by only Suzuki parts. The ones from Retro are supplied by KL Supply and made in Japan. I am taking the risk. I love the little packets that contain just about everything. But they don't have the O rings that are needed for the tubes that join the carbs together. You can get these from Cycleorings. However, I have tried ordering twice from him and he has yet to reply to an order or an email. Maybe he is on holiday at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                  X