Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Kit for 79' GS850

Hello,

I just purchased a 1979 GS850 that's been sitting for about four years. I plan on fixing it myself so I can learn how to repair my own bike and I've found a ton of good information on this site.

I have a couple of unanswered questions. First, are the carb rebuild kits on ebay OK or are there other kits you would suggest? Secondly, can I use a kit designed for a 80-83 GS850 on a 79' GS850 carburetor? I'm having a hard time finding a 1979 specific kit.

Anything else I should look out for? I know the previous owner personally, and he said before he stopped using it it was running perfectly except that the fork seal needs to be replaced. I know I have to drain the gas tank and clean it, probably replace hoses, bleed the brake system, etc...but if you have any wisdom, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Just spend the 21 bucks from cycleorings.com ( Robertbarr here on the forum ) and do them yourself per the carbs rebuild tutorials. Can do them yourself for next to nothing. Of course youll need to buy a can of Berrymans Carb and Parts Cleaner at Walmart ( cheapest place ).

Click on carb tutorials here...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

79 Should have Vm carbs if I remember right. Three screws holding then top covers on and not the square tops with 4 bolts. In any case Robert has both the VM and CV oring kits.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you're a bit unfamiliar with bringing a bike back to life, the best thing to do, I my opinion, is to slow down, spend a bunch of time on this site reading and learning what your bike needs before tearing into it.

One of the best places to start is the Owner's forum and click on BassCliffs sticky titled "New Members CLICK HERE". It will give you a good head start in the learning and understanding process. Good Luck.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Whoa. Thats what I was looking for. Nice compilation of information. This is going to make for a fun winter project. Thanks!

Comment

So, essentially, I should just try to clean/restore/rebuild anything that seems like it needs it to set a baseline since its been sitting for so long, or is there specific things I should get at first aside from the carburetor (which is usually what everyone mentions)?

I only ask after reading a little through bikecliffs page since I trust the past owner (my buddies father) when he says it was riding just fine before he let it sit.

Comment

Do carbs, adjust the valves, check the timing, clean all the harness connections one by one, rebuild the calipers and master cylinders wiith new seals and inspect the pistons for pitting, basically do all the maihtenance in the package from bikecliff and youll be all set with a fresh reliable bike in the spring.

Comment

Even though you trust him and it was riding fine doesn't mean it doesn't need to be gone thru to ensure FOR YOURSELF the bike is safe to ride!!! Brake system is of particular importance...for the obvious reasons!!! Get new lines too or replace with stainless.

Comment

Carb rebuild kits are pure junk. Don't waste your money.

For brake components, the aftermarket kits are also dangerous, shoddy junk. Use OEM parts.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr giganticflying,

Here's the full "mega-welcome". Just follow the steps in the maintenance lists, taking no shortcuts and skipping no steps, an you will have a happy motorcycle.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey thanks basscliff. I've been reading info from your site for the past two days! I'm going to order some o-rings, gaskets and bolts next week and give it a shot.

Question: Where do you get new (intake and airbox) boots for a '79 gs850? I've searched a couple of the sites you listed but I couldn't find them. I'm not sure I need them yet but I want to make sure I can track them down just incase.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        adjust the valves, check the timing....rebuild the calipers and master cylinders wiith new seals and inspect the pistons for pitting
                        Thanks for putting this out there. I don't really see these things mentioned that often. I'll do some research on this after I figure out the carburetor.

Comment

My brake caliper rebuilding experience is limited. On the brakes I have rebuilt, the O Rings and pistons were serviceable. The brakes did not work because old brake fluid had crystalized in the calipers, including in the o ring grooves on the pistons. I cleaned them. They were still undamaged and good enough to be used. I had new ones and used them, but could have easily gotten by with a cleaning and no new parts.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Maybe the boots are called something different? I found these: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=13110-45100-K and these: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=13881-45030-K (though these say they're for the 80-81 model).

Also, I'm in Portland, OR and I don't know many people who know about motorcycles. Anyone else on this forum live in my city?
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X