No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100, odd mods by PO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice in your name you are in DFW Texas right? I hope you aren't the guy posting to sell parts off that great looking machine. I would certainly buy it to save it from being chopped up.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

off topic, but......

By the way, those case guards are quite hard to come by. Great looking ride also.
      Last edited by dorkburger; 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM. Reason: misspell
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        I notice in your name you are in DFW Texas right? I hope you aren't the guy posting to sell parts off that great looking machine. I would certainly buy it to save it from being chopped up.
        No I'm not that guy! I plan on keeping this thing stock for the most part, (minus the headlight and seat)

Comment

Anyways, the valve cover gasket finally came in, and I fired it up only to hear this noise. I also took the clutch cover off to replace the gasket. And now the clutch won't engage. I've adjusted the cable as much as I can, and it still won't.
          http://youtu.be/f6BomS_koSs

Excuse the orange strap, it's holding on the tank from my VS800
          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Clutch hub nut loose? They are known to stretch, even with lock tab washer. Backing plate springs loose.

The rack release arm may have engaged improperly when the cover was off. What orientation is the clutch arm on cover?
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              Clutch hub nut loose? They are known to stretch, even with lock tab washer. Backing plate springs loose.

The rack release arm may have engaged improperly when the cover was off. What orientation is the clutch arm on cover?
              It wasn't doing this before I removed the cover, so I'm guessing that rack release arm is likely to be the problem. Any special way to put that thing back on? Also, is the clutch arm supposed to be parallel to the frame when the clutch is disengaged?

Comment

The teeth on the rack release have to engage the teeth on the cover. Not sure it's possible to seat the cover w/teeth facing backwards. Thought maybe the clutch arm maybe sticking out too far.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Clutch Noise

Hey clutch rattle is an inherent problem with these bikes. Sounds silly but just don't take of the oil filler cap and it goes away. According to those who are far more knowledgeable than me, just ride it as is.

Here's my rattle:

So I changed the clutch with one I know (because I've had it since new) is in good condition and get the same noise:

and another one:

Try this; take off oil filler cap, start engine, engage first gear and let out the clutch a little. Does this remove the rattle. If it does I am guessing that the loose springs on the clutch hub are to blame. The tension being applied when it is in gear like that will take up the play of the loose springs. Nothing to worry about. If it bothers you, you will have to do the clutch hub fix with new clutch hub springs and welding. Otherwise leave it.

If the noise does not go away when you put it in gear when it is running, then maybe clutch hub nut, clutch hub bearing or the spacer in the clutch hub needs to be shaved a little. If it is too wide it allows the clutch hub to move horizontally. I have read that someone fixed their noise problem doing this.

All in all - not too serious. Make sure your cam chain tensioner is working OK. Might be another reason for noise.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                    Hey clutch rattle is an inherent problem with these bikes. Sounds silly but just don't take of the oil filler cap and it goes away. According to those who are far more knowledgeable than me, just ride it as is.

Here's my rattle:

So I changed the clutch with one I know (because I've had it since new) is in good condition and get the same noise:

and another one:

Try this; take off oil filler cap, start engine, engage first gear and let out the clutch a little. Does this remove the rattle. If it does I am guessing that the loose springs on the clutch hub are to blame. The tension being applied when it is in gear like that will take up the play of the loose springs. Nothing to worry about. If it bothers you, you will have to do the clutch hub fix with new clutch hub springs and welding. Otherwise leave it.

If the noise does not go away when you put it in gear when it is running, then maybe clutch hub nut, clutch hub bearing or the spacer in the clutch hub needs to be shaved a little. If it is too wide it allows the clutch hub to move horizontally. I have read that someone fixed their noise problem doing this.

All in all - not too serious. Make sure your cam chain tensioner is working OK. Might be another reason for noise.

Greetings
                    I'm having trouble with the clutch itself now. I took the cover off, made sure everything was snug, but I can't seem to get the clutch to engage fully. (If I am holding the clutch in and put it into first, the wheel spins)

I've made the cable as tense as possible, but it still wont engage the clutch completely.

Comment

Working...
                    X