Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Broken fuel pilot tip

Hi guys,
    So I got round to stripping my VM26SS carbs today and..... HELLO. Don't you just love PO's?

I've found a supplier for a carb kit that includes the fuel pilot, this one right?

Question. Are these any good or does anyone know any better preferably with shipping to the UK?

Question: I'm sure you can guess where the PO left the tip of the fuel pilot. Yep buried in the carb body. Does anyone have any neat tricks for removing the broken tip without trashing the body?

Thanks in advance,
    Jo

Z1 have them:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Kawasaki style with the longer body but other than that they are the same.

Getting the stuck tip out can be a bugger. Try compressed air with a very tight fit rubber hose first. Next is a fine tipped punch. Make sure you tap it dead square on.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have some very fine picks that can be described as "dental tools".

I use the straight one, poke it down from the top of the carb, give it a little tap, the broken tip falls right on through.

Unless you really give it a wallop, it won't do any damage to the hole.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i bought some from Z1 recently and am unsure about using them, they do not come to a fine point like the Suzuki ones do and the tips are larger than stock items. i have fitted them but not used them yet so i dont know if they actually work!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There's a guide on BasCliff's site for removing those tips
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Here...they have the CV mixture screws too. VM 26 bowl gaskets for 9.00 per 4 pack. I have been telling you guys forever about them..noone listening???? Under select make choose Suzuki. Under select part choose carb stuff

Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Send me your addy and I'll send you one "por nada"!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                Send me your addy and I'll send you one "por nada"!

There's your easiest solution. Just for reference I've used the fuel mixture screws on enough VM carbs to know they work perfectly. Oldest one I have so far is 5 years of use and it looks like brand new. Mine also came to the same fine point that the OEM ones do.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

In a pinch I have used screws with broken off tips by sharpening them. Chuck it in a drill, spin it and hold it against a grinder at just the right angle. You will have to adjust the carb by ear, it won't be the same number of turns out as the others, but it will run fine once you get it adjusted correctly. I think it was still on the 750/1000 I sold a while ago….

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

In a pinch I have used screws with broken off tips by sharpening them. Chuck it in a drill, spin it and hold it against a grinder at just the right angle. You will have to adjust the carb by ear, it won't be the same number of turns out as the others, but it will run fine once you get it adjusted correctly. I think one of them was still on the 750/1000 I sold a while ago….

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Basscliff's Tutorial

Here is Basscliff's Tutorial on the subject:

First things first: "OK so you get over it, have a beer, relax,"

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                        Here is Basscliff's Tutorial on the subject:

First things first: "OK so you get over it, have a beer, relax,"

Greetings
                        Why is it I can never find these things on basscliffes site

Thanks guys for all your help. Charlie I'll be in touch soon. Still waiting for the crap online store to send me the correct part you wanted.....

Cheers all.

Will give you an update later.

Comment

So that's what I call a minging carb...

The others are the same.

Comment

don't I know it.

I just bought a set of RS38's from this site and 2 of the mixture screws were broken EXACTLY LIKE THIS!!!

all I can say is take it slow and easy drilling out the brass. I have a ultrasonic cleaner and that helped with one. the other not so much...

but I got them out -- ordered new mixture screws from sudco -- then would you guess there is a problem in the slide linkages..

Scoundrels are everywhere even the GS resourses -- got a problem part you just mutilated? sell it to a dumb ass on the internet.

Originally posted by JAG View Post
                            Hi guys,
                            So I got round to stripping my VM26SS carbs today and..... HELLO. Don't you just love PO's?

I've found a supplier for a carb kit that includes the fuel pilot, this one right?

Question. Are these any good or does anyone know any better preferably with shipping to the UK?

Question: I'm sure you can guess where the PO left the tip of the fuel pilot. Yep buried in the carb body. Does anyone have any neat tricks for removing the broken tip without trashing the body?

Thanks in advance,
                            Jo
                            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                            X