Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs550 no start when hot. trying to jet carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 no start when hot. trying to jet carbs.

looking for a little advice. resto-modding an 1982 gs550. went thru entire bike adding new parts or rebuilding. Got the bike running with K&n dual filter set up.seems to run fine after putting new main jets 2 sizes up from stock. Except will not start when hot just sputters a bit till she cools off then she will start again. I have not synched the carbs yet but I did do a bench synch. Could the motor still be starving for fuel?

If the only thing you have done to the carbs is go up two sizes on the mains, yes, it's starving for fuel.

Stock mains are 92.5. You saying that you installed 97.5 jets?

What exhaust system? Stock or aftermarket?

With K&N filters and a stock exhaust, I would expect at least 102.5 mains.
    With an aftermarket system, maybe up to 105 or 107.5.

Did you CLEAN the carbs? If not, why not? If you did, HOW?

Did you do anything to the needles?

What is the setting on your mixture (pilot) screws?

A bench sync is good for starting the bike, but really won't affect its running temperature to the point that it won't start hot.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How long since your last valve adjustment?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Old GS coils stop working when hot. Learned that the hard way.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I was thinking she was lean just didn't have any idea of how far I should jet it .I did rebuilt the carbs. dipped carbs in carb clean by gunk. clean out and blew out all passages,New float needles and all new o-rings. The exhaust is stock and I just upped the mains to 100.seems to be runing better but still no hot start. I have about the same spark size and color spark with the engine hot or cold. I just ordered 102.5 and 105. I am hopping one of these will work.I have not changed the needle yet and I have the mixture screws at 2 full turns. I did bench synch the carbs and recheck float levels when I put in the last set of mains.
          I am not new to jetting or synching carbs on cars with multiple carbs . just new to bikes. The valves are in spec. the only left to tackle is a weak charging system when I get the engine purring

Comment

Changing the main jet size has zero effect on start up
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How long did you dip the carbs? GUNK brand cleaner is pretty much the same as Berryman's, which is the local favorite, but it also requires pretty much a full day, not the 15-30 minutes suggested on the can.

As Big T mentions, the main jet has no effect on starting the bike. You could have mains as small as 50 or remove them completely, it won't matter. What you need to address is the pilot screw, also called the mixture screw. What is your pilot screw setting?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I let them soak for around an hour or so. the passages are all free and clear. I have the mixture screws backed off 2 full turns from the seated postion. what I dont undertsand is why she starts right up when cold or warm and not at operating temp. I will be working on her this weekend. installing the bigger jets and hopefully resolving the hot start issue. I So the you guys think it is an issue with idle circuit? whish the carbs had accelerator pumps and this wouldn't happen..

Comment

Soaking for an hour isn't going to dissolve everything. As Steve said, it would be better to let them sit for several hours
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

An accelerator pump is just another failure point that won't really solve your starting issue.

These carbs were tuned rather lean to meet EPA regulations. With the gas that is available today (compared to when the bikes were new), there is less actual gasoline in the mix, so they need to be set a bit richer. Try turning your mixture screws out to 3 full turns to see if that helps. Three turns will likely be too rich, so some fine-tuning will be necessary after that, but in the meantime, that richer mixture acts a bit like a choke to provide a better starting mixture. Also note that each carb needs to be adjusted individually, as there are minor differences from carb to carb. One carb might end up at 2 1/4, another carb at 2 1/2, etc.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Duh, you did try opening the throttle fully wide before cranking?
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Tight of badly seating valves, when the engine is hot, will reduce compression and create hot starting problems.

Do a compression check on a hot engine. Follow the instructions of the compression tester carefully ie keep throttle wide open, remove other plugs etc
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                          Tight of badly seating valves, when the engine is hot, will reduce compression and create hot starting problems.
                          I don't disagree with your statement, but I have found that hard starting due to tight valves usually shows up with a cold engine first.

Especially if it is the intake valve that is not seated. As the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, some of the air will leak past the intake valve and go back through the carb. That "air" has already gone through the carbs, so it has fuel added in a somewhat correct mixture. The jets in the carb don't really care which way the air is moving. If enough air goes past the jets, it will suck up some fuel. On the next intake stroke, that fuel-laden air goes past the jets again, picking up more fuel. By now, you have a mixture that is WAY too rich to burn properly, let alone in a low-compression setting due to a leaky valve.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I did check the compression of one cylinder when I pulled a plug while checking if I fouled one. I will check the compression when I get it back together again. finishing some wiring up. And yes I opened the throttles. I did not try squirting gas into throats though. will do some further checks when I get it back running again. Btw does anyone have a wiring diagram that is readable for my 1982 GS550L?

Comment

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X