#1 not working until warm up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 not working until warm up.

I just finished going through a 1980 1000GLT, maybe you saw my recent post in the "GS Owners" section. That post tells the work done that may affect this problem. Cylinder #1 does not want to engage until the motor has warmed up for a couple of minutes. Once warmed up, it never misses a beat. Usually doesn't miss the rest of the day, but every now and then it takes a minute when starting the engine warm. I've hooked up a spare plug to #1 lead on cold start and plug is firing happily away. I've cracked open the #1 float drain screw and it's got gas. once warm, the motor runs strong and smooth through the range, and idles nicely. Thanks.
    Eastern Washington
    1980 GS1000L No mods.
    1997 Valkyrie

Most likely is that the choke circuit is not working on this cylinder. Takes carbs off and remove float bowl on the affected cylinder.

From the carb body you will see a brass tube sticking down. This has a very small hole in the bottom of it. Make sure this hole is clean - use a very fine piece of wire - I use a thin guitar string.

Then in the float bowl you will see the hole in which this tube goes down into. This tube sucks up fuel from the bottom of the float bowl for the choke circuit. Now get some carb cleaner spray and spray it down this hole. You should see the carb cleaner come out of the hole in the bottom of the carb bowl. This is usually the first place a carb gets bunged up and its the most difficult to clean.

Also try spraying the carb spray in the opposite direction. You need this passageway to be free flowing. If it is gummed up, then you will need to ultrasonnicaly clean it or immerse the bowl in some strong carb cleaner.

To be sure it's not an electrical problem as well, change over the plug leads between cylinder one and cylinder four. If the problem is still on cylinder one then is defo the carb.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Could it be that #1 needs a colder or warmer spark plug? Of course, that would still leave the question: why?

I'm not advising, just asking. I'm trying to learn.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The spark is the same... it’s the hotter or colder is the temp of the plug.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It's not the spark for sure, plug is firing fine. Enricher circuit sounds logical. I have gone through the carbs using the carb cleaning tutorial on this site. I was thorough, and a guitar string is what I used for the tiny holes. I will go through #1 again and see if I wasn't quite thorough enough. Is it possible the vacuum circuit to the petcock could cause this, or would that continue to affect it after warm up?
          Eastern Washington
          1980 GS1000L No mods.
          1997 Valkyrie

Comment

The vacuum line to the petcock won't cause the issue you describe.

Did you vacuum sync the carbs? Where are the pilot screws set?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by carpetbagger View Post
              I've hooked up a spare plug to #1 lead on cold start and plug is firing happily away. Thanks.
              Good test. But it doesn’t take a whole lot of voltage to jump the correct gap at atmospheric pressure.
              And it doesn’t prove the ability of the original plug to provide a ground for the voltage. But it does show that your coil is able to produce a spark.
              Now if you could insert an inline spark checker between the spark plug wire’s boot and the tip of the spark plug, and the inline spark checker doesn’t show a spark when cranking, you know the issue is either with the spark plug, or low coil output when the ground is under compression.
              Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
              1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
              1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Sometimes tight valve lash can act like that.
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I did vacuum sync the carbs. Pilot screws I believe are between 2.5 and 3 turns from soft seat. I used a method somewhere deep in the pages that says blip the throttle and how it returns to idle tells if it's rich or lean, and to put all 4 in the same adjustment for CV carbs. It idles great and returns to idle correctly when warm
                  Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The vacuum line to the petcock won't cause the issue you describe.

Did you vacuum sync the carbs? Where are the pilot screws set?
                  Eastern Washington
                  1980 GS1000L No mods.
                  1997 Valkyrie

Comment

The valve clearances are in spec.
                    Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                    Sometimes tight valve lash can act like that.
                    Eastern Washington
                    1980 GS1000L No mods.
                    1997 Valkyrie

Comment

If it was the coil, would #4 also misfire? Could the problem disappear when warm? I know coils can be funny, and it seems like every time I throw a coil at a problem, that's not it. The coils are original, so 40 years old and all. I haven't tried switching 1 and 4 plug wires yet, and I'd sure rather do that than pull the carbs again. The plugs are new, and the symptom persists with any plug. The boots are new and I snipped 1/4" off the wire before installing.
                      Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                      Good test. But it doesn’t take a whole lot of voltage to jump the correct gap at atmospheric pressure.
                      And it doesn’t prove the ability of the original plug to provide a ground for the voltage. But it does show that your coil is able to produce a spark.
                      Now if you could insert an inline spark checker between the spark plug wire’s boot and the tip of the spark plug, and the inline spark checker doesn’t show a spark when cranking, you know the issue is either with the spark plug, or low coil output when the ground is under compression.
                      Eastern Washington
                      1980 GS1000L No mods.
                      1997 Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by carpetbagger View Post
                        I know coils can be funny, and it seems like every time I throw a coil at a problem, that's not it. The coils are original, so 40 years old and all. I haven't tried switching 1 and 4 plug wires yet, and I'd sure rather do that than pull the carbs again. .
                        Swap the coils around?
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Switch the #1 and #4 coil wires first
                          If the symptom doesn't change, swap the coil trigger wires and the coil wires
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X