Truck-lite install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck-lite install

Just got the Truck-lite delivered today. Having issues with install. Seems the only way I may get it to fit is if I cut off the mounting tabs that the old lens bolted too. Also having an issue with it being a little deeper than the original lens so the birds nest of wiring in the housing assembly is in the way. I will have to clean them up a bit.

However I'm starting to think it's not meant to fit in my assembly to begin with. I read on a previous post a member mentioned that the Truck-lite does not fit in GL bikes. My bike is a 1982 gs1100 however the title/registration designates it as a GK yet the badging on the bike itself says GL. The bike has been butchered already by a previous owner so I'm not sure what's correct.

The headlight housing is chrome but has a black retaining ring on the front. I'll post some pictures as well.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    1982 GS1100gl

This is the headlight bucket
    1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Betcha a dollar that’s not the original headlight bucket. The mounting ears certainly are not. I have read the the L bucket is smaller than the other models. GK would have had a full fairing, maybe a square headlight. Not sure. I think the PO removed the fairing and put on some non-Suzuki GS bucket.

ok, forget the $1. I just looked at the fiche for the 82 1100GL, that very well could be the bucket you have, and yes, not going to fit the truck-lite, from what I read.

Shop online for OEM Headlamp parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-30-2022, 10:23 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm with him ^^^, the light don't look right & the ears are certainly narrower than the OEM. ears
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'm looking into replacing the bucket. Found a few I think will work. Z1 has a side mount 7" that is 6-1/4" deep. Should be plenty of room for the rats nest of wiring that's going on inside that I have to clean up.
          1982 GS1100gl

Comment

You’ll also need the bezel and adjusting ring to go with the bucket, but I don’t know how to guide you to ones that will work with the truck-lite.

You definitely have a mess there with a few dodgy looking crimp connectors.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-01-2022, 06:34 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              You’ll also need the bezel and adjusting ring to go with the bucket, but I don’t know how to guide you to ones that will work with the truck-lite
              You definitely have a mess there with a few dodgy looking crimp connectors.
              Yea it's quite the mess. A bit intimidating haha.

1982 GS1100gl

Comment

OK, we are not going to doubt that you have an 1100, but you are not sure whether it's a G, GL or GK.

A quick look at the VIN plate on the fork tube should tell, but there are other clues without digging that far.

Are the front and rear fenders chrome? GL
                Is the front axle below the fork tubes or ahead of them? Ahead = GL
                Is the front fork tube diameter 43mm? GK
                Presuming there is no luggage (saddlebags and trunk) on the rear. Luggage = GK
                It's possible that the GK has been "de-K'd". Look behind the rear footpegs. Is there an extra hole? GK
                There are also extra brackets on the GK frame rails that would hold the mounts for the fairing.

Those headlight mounts on your bike are definitely not Suzuki. Hard to tell the size of your headlight bucket, but the G would hold a 7" headlight (like your TruckLite), the GL was a smaller chrome bucket that held about a 6" light, the GK had a fairing-mounted rectangular headlight.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's definitely been chopped up a bit. The axle is ahead of the tubes and badging says L so I suppose I'll say it's an L.

I was going to work on straightening out and cleaning up all wires in the headlight bucket today but it was a bit overwhelming. The fact that it is just such a huge mess soured my mood so I decided to wait for a better day.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I managed to get the old light back together. I noticed the reflective film inside the housing had pretty much all peeled off so I cleaned that out. That explains the god awful light output at night. So now I'm limited to day riding but it's better than no riding.

Ordered a NOS Suzuki lens. 3512145230. Has the same Stanley number (001-2106)on it as my old one so hopefully it fits. Should be here in a few days.

Also ordered a different headlight bucket for a 7" light. It's about 6-1/4" deep so it should have enough room for all the wiring. A lot of the reviews also mention it works for the Truck-lite. So whenever that shows up I'll see if it works and then try and find the courage to mess with all the wiring.

​​​​​

1982 GS1100gl

Comment

While you are ordering parts, you should know that you will need new headlight ears, or at least modify the ones you have. When you get your new bucket for the 7" light, your current bracket will be splayed out for the wider bucket. You will at least need to bend the tips so they align with the bucket mounts. If your turn signals mount to the headlight ears, they will now be angled a bit to the sides. You might be able to rotate the ears on the forks and bend them at the forks for the new width to keep the signals pointing forward.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                      While you are ordering parts, you should know that you will need new headlight ears, or at least modify the ones you have. When you get your new bucket for the 7" light, your current bracket will be splayed out for the wider bucket. You will at least need to bend the tips so they align with the bucket mounts. If your turn signals mount to the headlight ears, they will now be angled a bit to the sides. You might be able to rotate the ears on the forks and bend them at the forks for the new width to keep the signals pointing forward.
                      As the current brackets sit now they are slightly rolled inward which is making the turn signals point inward as well. I figured I would still need to modify them for the new bucket like you said though.
                      1982 GS1100gl

Comment

My GS850G came to me with a roached Vetter fairing and no headlight parts... anyway, used headlight buckets are ALWAYS rusty and broken, so there's little point in buying used. The G models had black plastic buckets and 7" headlights standard, and the GL/L had the smaller headlights with chrome buckets.

I ended up installing a reproduction of a Kawasaki headlight shell that fits any standard 7" sealed beam.

Second item on this page, with the 8mm threaded holes:
                        https://newmotorcycleparts.net/elect...ead_light.html

I'm sure Dime City/Z1 have the same one. Not sure of the brand; it's been a long time. Emgo, maybe?

Works great, just enough room for the rat's nest of wires inside.

Following an unfortunate encounter with a deer, my good friend Tim donated the bucket from a GS650GL, so I have what may be the only chrome thing to be found on any KLR650:

Never you mind any background activities. Nobody saw nuthin'. Just look at the bike.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 05-04-2022, 10:33 AM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

New bucket came in. Truck-lite fits right in it. Seems to be a little bit deeper than my current bucket so hopefully it all works out...and so it begins...
                          1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Mmmm. Spaghetti.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              Mmmm. Spaghetti.
                              Haha. If you're hungry I'll share. Come get it!
                              1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Working...
                              X