No announcement yet.

wire diagram colors not matching with coil - different colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot. There is another black/white strip wire I found. Didn't see it earlier. It is in a bundle that leads to the fuse box. It has an eyelet connector on it, so it that a ground as well? what would that screw to? The wire is only 3in long so it can't reach far.

Comment

Originally posted by teamf4 View Post
      Shoot. There is another black/white strip wire I found. Didn't see it earlier. It is in a bundle that leads to the fuse box. It has an eyelet connector on it, so it that a ground as well? what would that screw to? The wire is only 3in long so it can't reach far.
      find something screwed into the frame... if it's near the battery box there's a ground wire attached to the mount for the rear master cylinder reservoir already.

Comment

Here's some more pics for you.

These come out near the fuse box. Notice the 3 stator wires.

I'm pretty sure the pink wire is for the kickstand warning light.

This is moving on up towards the front of the bike.

My R/R has a connector on the bottom for the wires.

And finally the fuse box connector.

If you need some pics of the front end wiring, I'll take them tonight.....in-between green beers !!!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks LarryD! Your wires look nice and neat.

Here is a pic of the fuse box.

I pulled out the connector to get a better picture of the wires. That red one off to the left was just a random one from earlier and looks to be tied into the orange wire. Then there is the black/white strip wire just hanging there.

Here's another close up of the fuse box. It has the amps written above the slot for each one. They go 10, 10, 10, 15, 10.
          The second one down keeps popping and then today the 15 is. So both of those keep popping now.

Maybe snipping those random wires wasn't a good idea. I don't know...

Comment

Maybe snipping those random wires wasn't a good idea. I don't know...
            It was a good idea...
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I agree, it's a good idea to get rid of that extra mess of wires you had. These bikes generate enough electrical power to do what the bike needs with little left over for anything else. If to many extraneous wires were added for heated thingamabobs or sockets for charging iPods, running music devices or making coffee....it overwhelms the systems and bad thing happen. As you know.....

Again, I am NOT much good at electrical stuff. I feel however, that the reason you keep popping fuses is the same reason you had a fire. You need to investigate throughly WHY those fuses keep popping or you may have another fire.....Could be a ground not...grounding. Could be something with the extra wires you have....I'm not sure. The point is, you need to figure out WHY you keep popping fuses, it's obviously not good.

Let me know if you need any more pics.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm not electrical either, heck I'm not even remotely mechanical. Never looked at a bike like this until now. Just got on and rode.

LarryD, pictures of the front would be great. I've posted a picture of what my mess looks likes. May be in this thread somewhere or another one, but I think I have.

Well, I really appreciate all the help!! Just got to figure out what to do now.

Comment

Here's my front mess. This is what it looks like right now.

Comment

Anything with black electrical tape is suspect. All this means is someone has cut and spliced wires for some unknown reason.

If you don't already know...learn how to use that multi-meter you have, you're going to need it. Ask friends, family, neighbors, whoever...you never know you may have an electrical guru in your midst.

It seems you like your bike and intend on keeping it. If so, you really, really, really (that's 3 reallys) need to learn the basic maintenance of your bike and I don't just mean the electrical. These bikes are +-25 years old and need some tender loving care to keep roadworthy. Valve adjustments, carb cleaning, gasket replacement, brakes, etc.......Just getting on a riding without doing regular maintenance is just asking to be stranded far, far from home.

I'll get some more pics for you of the front.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I've always done regular maintenance, just paid someone else to do it.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      Anything with black electrical tape is suspect. All this means is someone has cut and spliced wires for some unknown reason.

If you don't already know...learn how to use that multi-meter you have, you're going to need it. Ask friends, family, neighbors, whoever...you never know you may have an electrical guru in your midst.

It seems you like your bike and intend on keeping it. If so, you really, really, really (that's 3 reallys) need to learn the basic maintenance of your bike and I don't just mean the electrical. These bikes are +-25 years old and need some tender loving care to keep roadworthy. Valve adjustments, carb cleaning, gasket replacement, brakes, etc.......Just getting on a riding without doing regular maintenance is just asking to be stranded far, far from home.

I'll get some more pics for you of the front.

Comment

That "black/white strip wire" is the ground for the fuse box "mounting plate" (the black panel the fuse box is attached to). as it is only three inches long it shouldn't be hard to find where it attaches.

(referring to the eyelet as seen in this illustration... http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...k/100_0724.jpg)

Here is a closer pic of the black wire/white strip. It is coming out of the bottom of the white connector

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...k/100_0711.jpg
                        I'm still working on the answer to why the wire was extended. I suspect it was to ground the R/R to the battery. (I haven't got to it as of yet. reason... is my bike is burried )

These 2 pictures show the blue wire coming out with a red wire to a white end connector with a messed up connection for another connector. It's a long line of wire. My finger is pointing to where it comes out of the harness, right before the battery.

What color wire(s) is (are) the that blue connected to? <question answered>

Here's another close up of the fuse box. It has the amps written above the slot for each one. They go 10, 10, 10, 15, 10.
                        The second one down keeps popping and then today the 15 is. So both of those keep popping now.
                        More than likely, the reason for the 15 amp fuse blowing, is because of a bad R/R (rectifier/regulator> the aluminum thing with the fins). where is your R/R located? under the battery box, or is it located where Larry is showing His? (Larry's R/R location... http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1268825848

(I will need to know more about your R/R brand/type and possible connector modifications... don't concern yourself with that just yet. )

I pulled out the connector to get a better picture of the wires. That red one off to the left was just a random one from earlier and looks to be tied into the orange wire.
                        The orange wire comes from the ignition switch and connects to the top three 10 amp fuses. someone just tapped it to it to run power to some device.

a clarification if you would please... was that orange/red connection where the "gaggle" of extra red wires are (were) connected?

***done with my post edit. have at it!
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

That blue one was connected to a black/white strip wire that comes out where the harness splits. Once group of wiring going to the fuse box the other group going to the 3 plugs(the black, red, and white one next to the fuse box)

It easily came apart so I just disconnected it at that point. There is about 3in of that black/white wire left.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            That "black/white strip wire" is the ground for the fuse box "mounting plate" (the black panel the fuse box is attached to). as it is only three inches long it shouldn't be hard to find where it attaches.

(referring to the eyelet as seen in this illustration... http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...k/100_0724.jpg)

I'm still working on the answer to why the wire was extended. I suspect it was to ground the R/R to the battery. (I haven't got to it as of yet. reason... is my bike is burried )

What color wire(s) is (are) the that blue connected to? <question answered>

More than likely, the reason for the 15 amp fuse blowing, is because of a bad R/R (rectifier/regulator> the aluminum thing with the fins). where is your R/R located? under the battery box, or is it located where Larry is showing His? (Larry's R/R location... http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1268825848

(I will need to know more about your R/R brand/type and possible connector modifications... don't concern yourself with that just yet. )

The orange wire comes from the ignition switch and connects to the top three 10 amp fuses. someone just tapped it to it to run power to some device.

a clarification if you would please... was that orange/red connection where the "gaggle" of extra red wires are (were) connected?

***done with my post edit. have at it!
                            Attached the black/white wire.

The R/R is located under the battery.

Yes, the red wire is connected to the orange/red wire. I didn't undue the electrical tape to see the actual connection to the orange/red wire but there is about 4in of the red left that was "gaggled" to other wires that I took off from there. But that portion is still attached to the orange/red wire.

EDITED - took the electrical tape off, the red wire was soldered to the orange/red.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Attached the black/white wire.
                              I assume you mean you attached it to the "mounting plate/or a screw on the "mounting plate "?
                              The R/R is located under the battery.
                              is there a connector or a plug near the R/R? (I'm trying to figure out with how to easily disconnect the red wire from the R/R to the fuse box)

Yes, the red wire is connected to the orange/red wire.

EDITED - took the electrical tape off, the red wire was soldered to the orange/red.
                              Snip the red wire as close to the orange as possible, then wrap it with electrical tape as to protect it. nice and neat please! (we wouldn't want be called "hacks' would we? )

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                                I assume you mean you attached it to the "mounting plate/or a screw on the "mounting plate "?
                                is there a connector or a plug near the R/R? (I'm trying to figure out with how to easily disconnect the red wire from the R/R to the fuse box)

Snip the red wire as close to the orange as possible, then wrap it with electrical tape as to protect it. nice and neat please! (we wouldn't want be called "hacks' would we? )
                                Yes, attached to the mounting plate.

The R/R is under the battery with the wires coming out of it on the left side and they are bundled together leading to the white connector. (the white one that is on the left side of the battery with the red, black and then the fuse box)

Edited - posted earlier, this is the white connector I'm talking about. The wires from it go into the R/R

Red wire snipped and wrapped up. Nice and Neat!
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2010, 05:09 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
                                X