Volt meter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little busy but entertaining on long ride

The 90 degree sweep VDO volt meter is pretty boring though when properly charging

Comment

Are you trying to show up Steve's 'Wing? If you ever wanted to mount a GPS, you'd need another handlebar.

Interesting solution to the Show Chrome's primary limitation.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        I don't care so much if the needle points to the right number within 0.5 V, but I want a 0.5V change to show as a 0.5V change on the gauge.
        Take a look at posplayr's gauge. It's showing a solid 12.5 volts. (Might be 12.4, can't really tell.) Look at the distance to either 12 or 13, that's a good two needle widths over, you should be able to tell that easily enough.

No there won't be any bells or whistles to draw your attention to the change, but occasional glances at the gauge when riding will show you that it's not pointing right at or slightly above the 14.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

See the movement of the voltmeter when the key is turned on before and after cranking? Cool Yeah? :p

this a pretty cool video showing a 270 degree autometer

Comment

Neat. I like it.

Now then, is it normal for voltage to drop coming off idle on some bikes, or does he have dirty connections?
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I dont know if anybody noticed this one for about $20 and less than 2" in diameter it would do with the classic round gauges better.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                A little busy but entertaining on long ride

The 90 degree sweep VDO volt meter is pretty boring though when properly charging

OK, Jim, I give up. I've been scouring the 'net trying to find gauge mounts similar to those and came up with diddly-squat. Are those clamps really just mounting brackets for a Vista Cruise throttle lock? They look like the chrome one actually on your throttle. Did you have these laying around, or did you get them as spares from Vista Cruise?
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

OK, Jim, I give up. I've been scouring the 'net trying to find gauge mounts similar to those and came up with diddly-squat. Are those clamps actually mounting brackets for a Vista Cruise throttle lock?
                  Yes ; i said in my original; post "......don't try this at home"

You may not need to do the same but,
                  • I formed the brass ring from solid brass stock
                  • cut down the metal housing to reduce the depth
                  • wrapped teh metal cans with "ProGrip".
                  • used Vista Cruiser mounts
                  did you see this one; kinda nice for an GS.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 08-03-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

OK, thanks. I finally found the replacement clamps at JC Whitey. I had to explicitly tell Google not to show me results including the word "cruiser". Ugh.
                    A lot of the gage mounting cups I've seen have a strap very similar to what you fabbed, so I think I could skip that step.

I spent a couple hours tonight looking through all the gage mounting options I could find, and nothing looked as flexible as your combination. You can either replace the whole cluster on a sport bike, or you can clamp big, ugly chrome onto your HD. Nothing in between for bikes. I still may not go this route, but it's currently the top of the list. Just ahead of bending some steel strap to reach down to the cluster mount bolts. I need to go ahead and get a gage so I can try different positions before I commit to how to mount it.

What I really want to do it cut metal to make something just right. I need a mill.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

These are a nice quality cup that I used.

I cut the cups down using a small dremel mounted with a cutting disk.

I did not use the included mounts. If you improvise you could use a hoseclamp to mount to a handlebar. The mount is 90 degrees to the way it needs to be for a handlebar. It is made for for a roll bar.

Mine was pretty tight quarters but not many angles that would work so am able to get the angles to where I need.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        did you see this one; kinda nice for an GS.

http://www.amazon.com/XScorpion-Red-.../ref=de_a_smtd

I got one and finallygot around to taking a picture. The device is 1.2"x5/8" whch is perrt small. It is not waterproof so you will need to remount it somewhere that is water proof.

I'm going to mount it into my idiot light holder on the GSXR clocks.

Comment

Is that going to be a 3rd voltmeter?

I hope to be able to show my own installation soon. Having a backup bike sure does impede progress.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Is that going to be a 3rd voltmeter?

I hope to be able to show my own installation soon. Having a backup bike sure does impede progress.
                            No going on a first Gen GSXR1100G

something like the attached.

Comment

OK, it only took me four and a half years to get this done, but here it is. I added an oil temperature gauge because, well, I just wanted to, OK? Anyhow, I can think of a certain mountain in WV that got me thinking about oil temperature.

So the story is, I spent several months searching off and on for a way to mount the gauges in a way that I liked and pretty much came up dry. I got distracted by several other projects, including getting a 3D printer. In 2011, that was even less of a plug and play thing than it is now, so I forgot about the gauges. Later, Steve pointed out that the 3D printer should be the solution to the gauge problem. Well, duh. I started playing with some ideas, but still didn't find a solution I liked. Then, after swapping on new bars after my low side, I noticed an obvious solution while the handlebar pad was off. The mounts shown below are the 3rd iteration. I plan to tweak them a hair so I'm looking at them more directly. Fortunately, I don't need to print another set to get that done. They're on the curved part of the handlebar, so I can just move them over a bit and they'll turn inward.

Clearly, I am not a videographer.

GS charging system veterans will notice the odd regulator behavior. That's the Cycle Electric 601 series regulator. (Don't hang it from the stock mount) Rather amazingly, I wired these in at the same time I installed the SSPB, and it all works. Apparently, I can follow instructions occasionally.

Any suggestions on how to waterproof them?
                              Last edited by Dogma; 05-10-2015, 12:25 AM.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Looks very nice. I like the way they blink and drop down after power down. Are they showing the max since last power on?

I had one of the cheap blue LCD units and it quit working after a few months and wasn't waterproof.

I've had a Shoe Chrome knock off for a little over a year as I like to have the temperature and time as well. I made a cheap plexiglass housing for it and velcro'd it right below my cluster. I have a CompuFire 55402 on that bike and the voltage on the cheap knock off bounces up and down a bit, but there is a red light that flashes if it goes over 15V.

Really like what you've done there, the matching oil pressure gauge is nice. Your 850 just tuned 60K eh? That's great!

Curious how you'll waterproof them as well.
                                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                                X