Honda R/R Users Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda R/R Users Poll

This is a poll at Duanages Suggestion to determine what the statistics are for burned stators with Honda 6 wire R/R's.

I hope everybody that has any experience with a Honda unit participates. This is important information to know when trying to figure out your best approach to solving charging system problems.

These are the three polls to help get some statistics on Field information about charging systems.

"Honda R/R Users Poll"

Poll for Compufire R/R Users

Fried Stator Poll

I left the poll private, but anybody that has a stator go bad while using a Honda R/R , please PM me with details if you don't mind. I just want to confirm the circumstances.
    Never used a Honda R/R one but thinking about it.
    27.10%
    I had a burned stator after installing a Honda after 1000 miles
    2.80%
    I had a burned stator after installing a Honda after 2000 miles
    0.93%
    I had a burned stator after installing a Honda after 5000 miles
    0.93%
    I had a burned stator after installing a Honda after 10000 miles
    3.74%
    I have never had a burned stator with my Honda R/R.
    17.76%
    I have never had ANY problems with my Honda R/R
    54.21%
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-19-2015, 09:43 PM.

Put one on my 750, and haven't had a problem with it for somewhere between 5-8,000 miles. Couldn't say exactly how many as I don't remember when I installed it.

I have one for the 1150, but haven't installed it. Not sure if I will or not.

Comment

So far so good. Was charging a bit high (15) until I did a sense wire relay mod.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I checked "haven't had any problems" but I did have a slight overcharge issue due to a voltage drop in the stock wiring harness. After about 3,000 miles, most of it high speed cruising at hot temps, the battery boiled dry. I fixed the voltage drop and installed a relay for the sense wire and a few other things and haven't had a wink of trouble in a couple of years. Oh Yeah, I replaced my stator due to being fried with an old stock one at the same time I installed the Honda R/R and it's also been fine since the conversion.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Put one on the front of the frame below the steering head, works fine volts wise and stays cool.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

No problems with my Honda R/R to date and its a GL1000 type without a sensing input.

The important thing is to always use a R/R that has a high current rating (about double the maximum output of your alternator - 35A is good).

Honda fitted Shindengen R/R's at the time and the GS's were using other brands afaik. The closer the R/R's maximum current rating is to the alternator output, the hotter it will get, resulting in eventual failure. Thus a 20A rated R/R with the same size heatsink casing is much more prone to earlier failure than a 35 A or higher rated R/R in the same casing even if your alternator has an output of less than 20A.

Fitting a lower current rated R/R from a smaller Honda or assuming that because it came off a Honda and it was not replaced by the previous owners with an inferior or lower rated one during the past 30 years could result in skewing of this poll.

We also need to consider that stator burning, overheating and failure is not always directly caused by the R/R. It can fail due to many other variables, such as poor insulation, insulation not being chemical resistant for todays oil content (type, fuel contamination etc), insulation breaking down after 30 years, vibration, poor connections on stator (dry joints), overheated motor, insulation maximum heat rating, physical damage, incorrect gauge of wire, incorrect number of windings, shorted outputs, age of stator (30 years or 1 year) etc.

Another variable is the actual mounting of the R/R, is it covered in oil and grime, does it make good contact with a large metal area to help dissipate heat, is it mounted in a "hotspot" or in cooling airflow. Even a good Honda unit may not be able to withstand an incorrect environment.

One cannot really compare without first knowing that all these variables are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
              We also need to consider that stator burning, overheating and failure is not always directly caused by the R/R. It can fail due to many other variables, such as poor insulation, insulation not being chemical resistant for todays oil content (type, fuel contamination etc), insulation breaking down after 30 years, vibration, poor connections on stator (dry joints), overheated motor, physical damage, incorrect gauge of wire, incorrect number of windings, shorted outputs, age of stator (30 years or 1 year) etc.

Another variable is the actual mounting of the R/R, is it covered in oil and grime, does it make good contact with a large metal area to help dissipate heat, is it mounted in a "hotspot" or in cooling airflow. Even a good Honda unit may not be able to withstand an incorrect environment.

One cannot really compare without first knowing that all these variables are the same.
              Well said, this little survey is obviously going to be crude, but perhaps provides some summary information on how people are fairing with the SHUNT (5 wire), Honda (SHUNT with 6 wire) and SERIES R/R's. Drawing technical conclusion will have to be done very carefully. I debated adding additional questions about maintenance and whether the stator pages were followed. In the end it is just too much complexity for a simple poll.

For the basic Fried Stator poll, just want to get an idea about how big the fried stator problem is 5%, 10% 25%, 50%???

For the SERIES R/R poll want to get an idea if anybody is having any kind of problem with a SERIES R/R. I'm assuming the likelihood is very small and anybody that did have an issue would explain.

For the HONDA poll want to get an idea if anybody is having any kind of problem with a HONDA R/R . I'm assuming the likelihood is very small and anybody that did have an issue would explain. (see Sandy's explaination re: Honda)
              Last edited by posplayr; 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I must compliment you on running with the charging issues on this forum.
                Those are usually one of the most frustrating problems a bike owner experiences and can be so disheartening that some rather get rid of an easy to fix bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                  I must compliment you on running with the charging issues on this forum.
                  Those are usually one of the most frustrating problems a bike owner experiences and can be so disheartening that some rather get rid of an easy to fix bike.
                  Yeah, POS does a great community service, trying to understand every faucet of these charging systems for us.

Comment

Duaneage,
                    Can you give us any statistics especially as to any stators that you have seen fried while running a HONDA R/R? Is it 1 in 10, 1 in 100, 1 in 10,000 failed stators using the Honda OR NEVER?
                    Jim

Comment

No problems but it's a very recent addition.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Before I vote, I wanted to ask something. I have a Honda RR, and have gone through the stator pages and determined that I need a new stator, since it's only making 11.8v or so for the battery. Does this count as a burned stator? The RR has been on for a couple years, un known miles. How should I vote?

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                          Before I vote, I wanted to ask something. I have a Honda RR, and have gone through the stator pages and determined that I need a new stator, since it's only making 11.8v or so for the battery. Does this count as a burned stator? The RR has been on for a couple years, un known miles. How should I vote?

should probably vote in the honda poll you are thinking about adding one and come back after you have some mileage on it.

in the mean time vote on this one you had a bad one.

Comment

Eh? I have one installed. It's been on for 4 years. I've swapped speedometers numerous times so I'm unsure of the mileage on the Honda RR, probably between 5 and 10k. I went through the stator pages because I noticed it was dying every week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                              Eh? I have one installed. It's been on for 4 years. I've swapped speedometers numerous times so I'm unsure of the mileage on the Honda RR, probably between 5 and 10k. I went through the stator pages because I noticed it was dying every week or so.
                              Sorry, I mis read. So you have had a Honda R/R mounted for 4 years 5-10K miles right?

I would prefer if after changing the stator and you restore operation (and you were convinced it was a stator issue) and it looks uniformly heated (burned ;post a pic) then say you had an issue with a Honda and stator based on your mileage.

You will be the first one so don't want to draw any angry ire from anyone without being sure

Comment

Working...
                              X