No announcement yet.

Fried Stator Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never fried one, of the 1 1000E, 6 850G's, 3 1000G's, and 1 1100G I have owned, and all but 2 are either still mine or belong to a close relative, none have ever had a complete charging system failure. Some of these bikes get used more than others, but most of them have over 10000 miles under my care. Some have many more.
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-13-2010, 11:09 PM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

bumpo...................

Comment

Last edited by posplayr; 12-04-2010, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Supersize that please…

Would you like fries with you stator?
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I've never had any stator problems, might be the Honda RR I'm using doesn't have bad diodes.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              I've never had any stator problems, might be the Honda RR I'm using doesn't have bad diodes.
              Well it is apparent that there is coupling between the R/R performance and the stator failures. This poll is to get a rough idea of what percentage of the GS population is being affected.

And as Duange notes, if you check the Honda Poll there are very few incidences of a Honda 6 wire R/R burning a stator.

Based on today, poll there are 10 which have claimed no stator issues out of a total of 47 volts. That means there have been an 80% stator failure affliction rate for the active population of GS's.
              Last edited by posplayr; 12-11-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

bump...................

Comment

bump...................

Comment

To add to the poll (since I already put my answer in it), I just replaced the replacement stator I got from TKent. One leg burned out, due to a faulty connection. A wire that I should have soldered and didn't was loose in the crimped butt splice, and as far as I can tell, that, or the massive downpour I was riding in the day it happened caused the stator failure. Now, I have the stator off of my parts 850 on the bike, it's a little blackened, but putting out acceptable voltage (86.7vac @4k rpm) and 13.1-13.9 vdc @5k rpm, so hopefully it will last for awhile.

Comment

bump looking for more data

Comment

Mine just burned out with +30,000 miles

Comment

Had one that was actually a burned stator. have had several others with charging problems, but it was always a bad power or ground wire from the R/R
                          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            There was no option for 60,000+ with no problem yet.
                            BTW, that goes for 2 of them so far.

Daniel
                            I have one with 67000 kms on it and it is fine.

Comment

23k miles and fine.

No place on the poll ........

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                ....Based on today, poll there are 10 which have claimed no stator issues out of a total of 47 volts. That means there have been an 80% stator failure affliction rate for the active population of GS's.
                                It means that 80% of respondents have had bad stators. It does not mean 80% of the stators on GSs have failed. Many of us have owned or currently own multiple bikes. I myself have owned eight GSs over the years.

I have replaced three stators. The original one on my GS700 (I bought the bike new) went out at about 62,000 miles. The replacement went out at 9,000 miles during a pouring rainstorm where the bike was ridden through standing water several times.

The stator on my 1000G went out at about 24,000 miles. It was the original one. The replacement is fine at 34,000 miles.

I picked up a GS550ES with about 7,000 miles on it, original stator on it. I sold the bike at 8,000 miles, it was fine. My GS450E (12,000 miles), my GS750E (sold with 18,000 miles), my 1150E (wrecked with 24,000 miles), and my GS1000E (32,000 miles) all have/had the original stators on them. My 850G still had the original stator on it when it was sold last year.

So my failure rate is 2 out of 8 bikes had failures, one of them had two failures..
                                Last edited by Griffin; 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM.
                                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                                X