No announcement yet.

Fried Stator Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 850G's original stator finally gave up the ghost at 102,000 miles -- I think that was the fall before last. The bike had been wearing a Honda R/R since about 45,000 miles, and that R/R is still in the bike and working perfectly.

The replacement stator, from a 2001 GS500, is doin' just ducky at somewhere over 114,000 miles and climbing!

No burned/bad connectors, or any other issues -- I think age and heat simply broke down the insulation on the stator.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

almost 40k and still has the original stator... r/r is a different story

Comment

Bump list any fried stator and what size bike and how you tend to ride.

Bigger bikes have to get rid of more heat and so tend to fry stators more often. Riding high RPM at slower speeds is also worse (like going through the twisties).

Comment

Two GS850s
          One bike, a '79, has had two stators replaced in 140Kmiles.
          Second bike, an '80 has had two stators in 250 Kmiles.
          Both bikes have been wearing Honda CB250 reg/recs for the last 20 years and only one stator failed since that point - that was a factory original which just died of old age, I reckon.
          The oddest failure had nothing detectable wrong with it when it was removed - no shorts, resistance fine on the windings, but it just wouldn't output at all.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The stator on my 850 let loose earlier this year. One leg just quit generating voltage. Not burned. Mileage unknown - speedos replaced by both me and PO(s).

Comment

You poll is lacking. How about a selection for never had one fail after about 200,000 miles on several GSes? I have bought a few bikes with dead charging systems, but never had one fail.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

GS750E , bad stator about 10,000 miles bike was 3 years old

Comment

Oops, I voted 10 to15k miles, but its null and void...remembered later that my cycle had 1200 miles on when I bought it, but I had been crashed, and had an 1100 stator cover on it, so mileage cannot be confirmed. It also had spliced wires at the R/R connection-wires were twisted together and taped. The connections were repaired about a year before total failure...200 miles from home. I was new to gs charging woes then, and didnt know to do the full check.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've never had a burned stator. Probably a total of 40,000 miles of GS riding, but probably no more than 10,000 on any one bike. I will say, that each of mi GS except for one had marginal charging. when I checked it. In all cases save for one, cleaning connections, adding grounds, and putting a Shindengen R/R on it solved the charging issues. ALL of the bikes charged well enough that the marginal charging was not known until I went looking for it. The bikes all charged enough to keep the battery charged, but never got over 13 or so volts. Most of them also had visibly overcooked stator and R/R wiring connectors.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Bump ..........

Comment

Sample :Three GSX 400's (Canadian twins comparable to GS450's in all respects except the engine)

A sum of Three Bad R/R's.
                        A sum of Four Bad Stators (at least)

TWO bikes had fried stator, battery, and R/R's when I brought them home.
                        ONE of these bikes had had two stators installed by a shop before it came to me-therefore that's a sum of three destroyed,on one bike by the time it came to me.

ONE bike (still working fine) has an Upgraded R/R .Also the headlamp loop was Undone when the New R/R was installed. Possibly the stator was replaced too, but I can't remember seeing it in the receipts or noticeable on the bike as non-OEM.

I've only few thousand (happy!) km on my Budget Fixes but any failure would be Out of bounds for this survey anyways, I guess, with it's DIY winding, and CHEAPO R/R...
                        End of Suzuki List. I've an old Honda here too but it works fine as Original, so far.

added: since the poll is pretty detailed, I'd add that the stator-eater that I described above still had some life left in it's last stator..I could work it up to maybe 13.4v charging output if the headlight was off- a trickle charge really (I recall 17-27 voltAC among the three "open" legs )
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

1979 GS1000L that lost it's stator and R/R at about 16K miles purchased new. Lighting system over loaded with an extra 100W Flood light and 90W/100W headlamp. Traded bike in to dealer with bad charging system.

1982 GS850GLZ purchased with a new stator installed but a bad R/R. Bike had about 22K miles on the clock. Replaced R/R with FH020AA

1980 GS1000GT purchased with bad stator and bad R/R. Stator shorted to ground. R/R diode shorted. Replace with SH-775 and new OEM stator.

Curious of anyone has ever had a stator or R/R fail when using the SH-775 R/R?
                          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

82 GS 400 had the stock R/R (that was getting very hot) that i replaced with a Honda 5 wire unit.

The Stator was already starting to turn black but wasn't completely gone and seemed to provide all the needed voltage for charging. This year i have ordered one from Steve and will replace it.

Comment

...I can't help thinking that some portion of "the burned look" is due to crud from (dirty?) oil sticking to the stator. To me,this means appearances may be deceiving and the stator is ok until it isn't.

Comment

Wow, this is a vintage poll! 51.000 miles on this bike with the original stock charging system. The connections have been cleaned a time or three, it's probably due again. One time I let it go too long and started to toast a couple bullet connectors but I caught it before anything was hurt.
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X