No announcement yet.

Fried Stator Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my gs stopped charging about 15000mile into my ownership got replacement with matched reg/rec.Found original stator had one dodgy repaired wire that had failed but unit tested up ok.fitted new setup and the charging system has never worked since effn thing!!!

Comment

I never had a bad one myself, but have replaced 2 or 3 for other people.
      In most cases, I believe they had aftermarket accessories installed causing too much draw?
      come to think of it.. 2 were on GS450s.. the other was umm i forget hahah

Comment

Bump .................

Comment

My bike has 41,000 miles. I have personally put on 29,000. Replaced with a Honda r/r , other than that I do not want to jinx anything!!
          83 gs850
          07 vtx1300c

Comment

bump...................

Comment

No option for me to choose. But I've never had one in 17,000 miles ridden. Original owner since 1983.........
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

and I could respond more than once..also "ridden" is a bit difficult.It Wouldn't it be better to base it on the odometer?

Comment

I haven't had one go yet and I put down 5000-10,000 miles, but that is only my life with this 1100E. The broken odometer has 29,xxx km on it and it was that way when I got it. If the stator is original it has far more than 29,000km and is still going strong.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Had a burned stator due to my own negligence and stupidity. I had a short to the tailligths from the wiring being misrouted over the frame memebr directly under the seat. The seat was weakened a little by rust and the insulation eventually got rubbed through, causing the short.

I had plenty of warning that something was wrong before the stator finally fried. Probably close to 5-1K of wondering why my lights were dim sometimes but not always. Intermittant, not at any particualr RPM. Too blisfully ignorant to fix it before the situation escalated.

Comment

Ive got 45000 miles on never burned stator,
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

My first bike was my GS450 with 18,000 miles. I put about 500 miles on it over a month or two before the stator burned out. I put a new one in which worked for about another 500 - 1,000 miles until that one burned up too. Then I put in the SH775 with a new stator, switched to the SPG setup and 10,000 miles+ later my charging system is still working great.
                        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                        1977 GS550
                        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                          My first bike was my GS450 with 18,000 miles. I put about 500 miles on it over a month or two before the stator burned out. I put a new one in which worked for about another 500 - 1,000 miles until that one burned up too. Then I put in the SH775 with a new stator, switched to the SPG setup and 10,000 miles+ later my charging system is still working great.
                          Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                          X