Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Suzuki split R/R + output between ignition and battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
    I have a question on all this, I've read through everything and I think I have a good grasp and understand why things are they way they are. But when I checked voltage drop with a multimeter I had .5v from the bullet connector coming out of the harness into the ignition key switch. As far as I know there is no other contacts so that says the wiring has the resistance built in. Now will this show up in case of bad grounds or is this wire just degraded?

Generally it is not the wire itself but the connections and crimps. You will expect as much as 1 volt dropped through the ignition switch (if it is dirty and with all the wire), but it is the drops between R/R and battery that are really bad for the battery charging voltage.

Comment

Just got in from pushing my bike 5 miles home; my rectifier burned up today, about to order the compufire R/R. I saw a warning on watching the heat - will I have the same problem with it trying to melt like my old one?

Comment

Originally posted by Call Me Ahab View Post
        Just got in from pushing my bike 5 miles home; my rectifier burned up today, about to order the compufire R/R. I saw a warning on watching the heat - will I have the same problem with it trying to melt like my old one?
        Are you really dead-set on getting the Compufire or would you like a similar R/R that costs about half as much?

The cheapest that I have seen a (new) Compufire sell for is about $150. The SH775 R/R from Polaris can be bought for about $70, plus shipping.

Both of those replacements are a bit bigger than stock. The Compufire is just a bit larger footprint, but considerably taller. The Polaris is a considerably larger footprint, but about the same height. Either one might need a little fabrication to mount it, and might even need a new location.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

SERIES_RR_Size.jpg

here are some nominal dimension; teh SH775 is with a trimmed shroud and no mating connector.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Are you really dead-set on getting the Compufire or would you like a similar R/R that costs about half as much?

The cheapest that I have seen a (new) Compufire sell for is about $150. The SH775 R/R from Polaris can be bought for about $70, plus shipping.

Both of those replacements are a bit bigger than stock. The Compufire is just a bit larger footprint, but considerably taller. The Polaris is a considerably larger footprint, but about the same height. Either one might need a little fabrication to mount it, and might even need a new location.

Comment

Kool_aid kid, where do you get these bimetal breaker/fuse's at, sounds like a good safe guard for anyones system, at least worth a try. Thanks JD

Comment

Working...
            X