Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drain the oil before changing the stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fyarl666 View Post
    I was worried I'd have a hard time with the Phillips head bolts, so just to see if I could, I tried loosening them with a little socket wrench and a Phillips bit.

Success!

Looks like PO had taken the cover off the crank case once before, the Phillips bolts all had a bit of wear on the heads, but the came off with a good twist.

Still haven't gotten the stator in the mail yet, but I'm in Canada and it's coming from California.

Maybe I'll use the mean time to refurbish the Phillips bolts with some stainless Allen bolts, and check around town for the new gasket.

Uh yeah those aren't Phillip head bolts, those are Japanese JIS heads and only JIS screwdrivers will fit properly. Though I would replace everyone of those those suckers with SS allen head bolts. Z1 Enterprises has complete SS allen head bolt kits for a really decent price. I got one for my bike and switched out anything that was JIS plus some lol.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Easy enough to do on the center stand, in the middle of the garage. Just put a 2x4 under the left foot of the stand.
      The amount of oil that drips will depend on how long you wait after tipping the bike. It won't be more than a spoonful.

Note the new stator gasket.

The bike is remarkably stable, so no worries there.

This works just fine and the bike is remarkably stable - I replaced my stator cover gasket doing this with a full case of new oil too and lost less than a spoonful I bet...It will drip some so put down some papers or a catch pan .. but the bike is solid ...I replaced those screws (JIS) with SS Allen heads I got at the Ace Hardware in town ..BUT be carefull as there are 3 different lengths on that stator cover and a WRONG size may damage the case as the fasteners bottom out in the hole...

Look up the correct size on a parts fiche and 'map' them to the correct holes ...
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Steve, that Yamaha badge cracks me up...

I've replaced a few 850 stators on the centerstand without farting around with angling the bike, and you don't really lose that much oil -- maybe a cup or so.

No idea about the 400, but one perfectly viable option is simply to put some foil over the pipes (so they don't get all oily and stink when you start the bike), stick a drain pan under there to catch the drippings, and dump in a little extra oil when you're done.

And yes, you'll need a new stator gasket (Murphy's law, ya know) -- make SURE it's the correct thickness. There are some cheeseball paper-thin gaskets floating around fleaBay.

And please -- replace those stupid JIS screws with stainless socket head screws. Make sure you use a dab of antiseize on each.
        Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2014, 11:19 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Steve, that Yamaha badge cracks me up.
          Me, too, and it was still on there when we sold the bike last year.

No need to change it, you might remember that it was, indeed, a "special" 850.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Uh yeah those aren't Phillip head bolts, those are Japanese JIS heads and only JIS screwdrivers will fit properly.

Strangely enough, I had a Phillips socket bit that did the job perfectly. Waddeya know!

Comment

Strangely enough, I had a Phillips socket bit that did the job perfectly. Waddeya know!
              Still, it will eventually bugger it up.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Uh yeah those aren't Phillip head bolts, those are Japanese JIS heads and only JIS screwdrivers will fit properly.
                Note that he said "fit properly".

He didn't say that they were the only thing that would work.

I have found that a #3 Phillips driver usually does the job just fine.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Note that he said "fit properly".

He didn't say that they were the only thing that would work.

I have found that a #3 Phillips driver usually does the job just fine.

Either way, I still plan on replacing them. They just seem like a sloppy idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X