Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Post Melting

image.jpg

My bike just underwent a down to the bare frame rebuild. It runs great--only about 200 miles on it so far. I noticed today that the negative battery post is melting. Does anyone know what could be causing this. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Good lord. That's some serious heat doing that.

I've had my battery boil dry and my earth wires burn out but that is ridiculous. I would suspect the age old rectifier problem. Measure the volts across the battery terminals at 2,500 rpm. Anything above 14 volts and you have issues with the charging system.

Check your wiring harness. Most likely there are other burned out connectors and wires.

Don't ride this bike until it is fixed. Fire hazard.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

In spite of the clean appearance that looks like a bad connection to me. Doesn't look like a standard end on the cable. It may be that the terminal cross section is too small and overheats as a result. I would expect to see the terminal to extend all the way around beyond the fastener flange.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 11-28-2014, 05:55 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That copper flange has been seriously hot - likely a faulty crimp on the cable.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That's a prime location for corrosion to hide between the strands of relative thick copper wire. I just had the positive terminal on my commercial zero turn lawnmower get weak and break off due to the same conditions.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Melted terminal=High heat=Lots of current and a relatively high resistive connection.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

3 things come to mind #1 a bad ground - #2 bad battery (broken terminal) #3 someone over used the starter motor with a bad ground - heat concentrates where the resistance is.
              sometimes on powder coat or paint rehabs - you may need a little more bare metal for a main ground - R&R ground - engine ground. can't have too many grounds.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I agree on the repaint and powder coating causing very weak grounds. I run a tap thru the bolt holes AND scrape a little area for the spade to get a real good connection. Dab some dielectric grease around the area to prevent rusting.

And a shot regulator comes to mind as well.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Don't forget to use these under the spades also.

Comment

Star washers dont necessarily hep anything in my opinion. The factory didnt think so either. Most important is the area being clean bare metal and some sort of rust and corrosion preventative at the connection points..frame and battery.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Star washers dont necessarily hep anything in my opinion. The factory didnt think so either. Most important is the area being clean bare metal and some sort of rust and corrosion preventative at the connection points..frame and battery.
                      Star washers (Inside and outside spur) do add to a good grounding system by offering additional surface area, shock resistance and more "bite" into the grounding surfaces. The bite "cleans" as it tightens down and adds resistance to loosening under vibration. Are they necessary? Maybe not, but they do add some additional assurance to maintaining a good ground. Of course this assumes that the grounding surfaces are free of paint and have a good metal to metal connection.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ive taken down dozens of unmolested bikes and there arent any used by the factory.. So thats the basis to my comment.

Comment

I will check all the grounds. Last week my fuel line was pinched and I was trying to start it before I realized what was happening. Still, I know not to crank the starter for more than 7 or 8 seconds at a time with a few minutes of cooling time in between. But maybe that was it.

Comment

Re: Star washers; if I have them to hand, I use them. If I don't, I don't, and just adopt a regular inspection and clean routine anyway, star washers or not, as these bikes are the most sensitive to good grounding of any vehicles I've owned.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Ive taken down dozens of unmolested bikes and there arent any used by the factory.. So thats the basis to my comment.
                              The factory tries to save money and the fewer the parts the more profit, I just want them to work. That is also why I REPLACE the 30+ YO original corroded/higher resistance ground wire besides adding a few more to the system.
                              (with outside star washers. )

Comment

Working...
                              X