Is this normal battery behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this normal battery behavior?

I just received an AGM battery. It came charged and I metered it before putting it in the bike. It read 12.88.

I went for a 15 mile ride and checked it soon after getting home and it read 12.85

My stator is about 1yr old and about 3 months ago I removed my shunt RR and replaced it with
    2012 POLARIS RZRS800 RZR S 800 RZRS OEM VOLTAGE REGULATOR RECTIFIER 4012941

I picked it up used on ebay from powersports. I dont know why I am obsessing over the charging system since the bike has never failed to start but ... I am funny that way.
    alex

Looks normal to me. Mine shows 12.8 to 12.9 before a ride. After a ride it will sometimes show as high as 13.1, especially if there have been a lot of highway miles. It then settles back to 12.8-12.9 after a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
      Looks normal to me. Mine shows 12.8 to 12.9 before a ride. After a ride it will sometimes show as high as 13.1, especially if there have been a lot of highway miles. It then settles back to 12.8-12.9 after a couple of hours.
      Thanks brother. that put my mind at ease. I took the bike back out after my morning ride. This time I went a bit farther and since its only 99 degrees out I thought I would take a SPIRITED ride through the mountain. Man the bike comes alive after 6000 rpm but back to teh point

when I got home it was at 12.93 so I guess my charging system is fine. now with a new battery in place .. one less thing to worry about letting me down.

Comment

What you are looking for is unobservable with your single measurement. You have to put the battery under a load to test it. The easiest way to do that is the Quick Test. Turn on the key and see how low it drops.

Comment

So what exactly is the problem? Looks normal to me from the ones I have
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just be done with guessing and fit one of these.

Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

For what it's worth, I've lived off grid with a lead-acid battery bank. It often takes an hour or more for the "resting" voltage to settle in after a charge cycle has ended.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

What is the charging voltage at 5000 rpm? That will test the function of the bike's charging system. As far as the battery is concerned, no-load voltage testing (as already mentioned) can lead one to false conclusions. Best to ignore that all together.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

About the only time a no-load reading has any significance is after the battery has been off the charger for a week or so. That will tell you if there are any internal problems with the battery or if there are any parasitic draws from the bike.

For the record, a fully-charged wet-cell lead acid battery will read 12.6 volts. A fully-charged sealed AGM battery will read 12.8.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X