Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging is Perfect - with only 2 poles from the stator connected

How many charging issues can there be?

GS1100G with new battery, new stator and at least 3 extra earth loops from battery holder and rectifier to battery negative. All combinations of stator output are in the 70-90 volts A/C range, depending on rpm.

I've tried 3 rectifiers and they all give me the same results:

Idling: 14.5 - 14.8 volts
    5,000 rpm: Up to 16.4 volts

BUT if I disconnect one of the stator outputs from the rectifier, so the charging system is only running on 2 poles, I get perfect results as per the stator Quick Test.

What am I doing wrong?

Can I run the bike safely (not burning out the stator) on only 2 poles?
    Last edited by londonboards; 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

As you all ready know 16.4v is too high, stator voltage lookes good what rectifiers are you testing with are they all shunt and are they all Oem ?
    You say you have earths to battery box have you earthed the battery box to the frame as it's rubber mounted and has a poor earth system.
    I would try to use the single point grounding system bringing all the earths including the rectifier to a point on battery box + an earth from that point to a good frame earth to see if that makes a difference.
    Although high charging can surely only be down the the rectifier I would have thought.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

sure. two poles will do it. simple-A two-phase generator....ONE phase can work on some bikes but not on our bikes-ours have wye-wound stators that rely on two coils in series to create voltage at the expense of current...

Anyways, You will remember the old "lightswitch loop" that is a big topic here...suzuki figured that with one phase out of the equation and the headlight's load removed, 2 was plenty. AND they therefore only regulated that one phase... with the original regulator (on my gsx400s anyways...I'm not sure about the 650s original) when the headlight was on.

.....SOME say that the B1tch of the original design was that just 2 phase output is "unbalanced". Electrosport says this I think. I am unsure of what they mean as to the effect...2 phase versus 3....ie: back-emf against the bearings and spin resistance? I dunno. I don't see the issue because Hondas havedifferent sorts of stator +ignition setups under their rotors...including single phase through a simple rectifier on the older bikes.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I'm testing with 3 different and new Sindengen OEM style rectifiers that all test good when testing the diodes.

Yes all my earths, including from the battery box, end up on the solenoid plate, except for the engine earth direct to battery terminal.

Yes, high charging has to be the rectifier. I just can't believe all 3 new ones behave in exactly the same way.

Weird.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

What bike? The only GS's that use a stand alone rectifier are the old pre 1980 bikes. Is there a reason you don't move to a combined R/R? I'd be inclined to go in that direction, and needless to say, bypass the charging system wiring other than the power return going back to the battery.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, that's very interesting. The third phase only came on if the headlamp was running and the battery would still charge with only 2 phases if the headlamp was turned off. That makes total sense.

The emf thing makes sense too.

Take a look at this video. Voltage fluctuates according to which pole I disconnect and most interestingly, if I switch headlight on and off with one pole disconnected there is no change EXCEPT if I disconnect pole no. 1 and turn the headlamp on, the voltage goes back up to 14.6. This has got to be something to do with the headlamp wiring loop.:

Last edited by londonboards; 05-23-2019, 01:03 PM.
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

GS1100G.

Yes, these are all regulator/rectifiers. One unit.

I'm thinking someone has messed with the headlamp loop.
              Last edited by londonboards; 05-23-2019, 01:24 PM.
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

The headlamp loop only works on one pole so that makes sense. 14.6 at Idle isn't necessarily an issue, the Electrosport ones do that but the higher voltage at 5k is.

I would cut out the headlamp loop. It's easy to do. You can do it under the tank, the bullets will fit (and you can just tie the now disconnected loop back out of the way.

Check out all the other wiring with charging on a direct path to battery.

Make sure your RR doesn't have a "sense wire" and if it does make sure it goes to battery as well.

Use a "known good" RR...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

A thought occurred to me could be right or wrong given you have tested three regulators and get the same reading have you tried a different multimeter?
                  when you have taken the readings at 70-90 vac a two volt discrepancy is neither here or there but at 12-16v the overreading discrepancy would be obvious.
                  just a thought.
                  The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

I can't see the video very well. Might be my fault but I just can't comment on it is all.
                    What is the model number of the Shindegnen R/Rs...?
                    yes DO entirely get rid of the loop. I have a really cool explanation that I made up about "why" but I'll spare you beyond saying it "extends" the leg it is attached to. It is about 10% of the length of the winding on the stator itself..

Comment

Working...
                    X