No announcement yet.

Top 10 Favorite Tools you have or use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that Kiwi Cannuck mentioned a blasting cabinet. I'm building my own. I got the gloves in last week and I'll put them in this week. I had all of the wood around the house and used an old microwave cabinet with wheels for the base. I store all of my air tools in that. Ordered a fairly cheap gun off eBay so I think I have $25 in it. Painted it baby blue, HF charges you extra for red.

Comment

I don't know if I have 10 types of tools to list but I will say that I have great joy when I'm using a (1)click style torque wrench. (2)Impact drivers are fun and satisfying too. I went on a measuring spree around the house with my (3) digital calipers. I guess those are my top 3 !

Comment

Any thing in my 3 tool boxes.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Dremel, Dremel, annnnnd Dremel 8 more times...

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
            I saw that Kiwi Cannuck mentioned a blasting cabinet. I'm building my own. I got the gloves in last week and I'll put them in this week. I had all of the wood around the house and used an old microwave cabinet with wheels for the base. I store all of my air tools in that. Ordered a fairly cheap gun off eBay so I think I have $25 in it. Painted it baby blue, HF charges you extra for red.

Very nice, that's an awesome price.
            It's number 3 on my wanted list, so may just have to go for it and go buy one.

I have added an inch pound torque wrench which I don't know how I did without and that wasn't even on my wish list. I thought I had a good feel for how tight a bolt should be, well I was over tightening everything by at least 50% maybe more.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

The single most invaluable tool for any motorcycle I've ever owned.

The second most invaluable tool for any motorcycle I've ever owned. I swear by this stuff. My original tin is now on the dregs and it costs an arm and a leg to buy here. Currently, I'm undoing bolts and screws I put in with this 25 years ago and they undo easily, despite having many years and thousands of miles of salty corrosion-inducing road conditions on them.

Fortunately, I found an alternative. Copaslip just isn't the same, fine though it is.

Last edited by Grimly; 05-07-2014, 03:54 AM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The best tool for working on early Japanese bikes is a good quality impact driver. Them damn panhead screws are not coming out unless you have a impact driver. Thank God for allen head screws!!!

Bought a 10mm swivel T handle wrench back when I got my first Honda 160. You needed that swivel on the end to get the two 10mm bolts loose that were under the area where the sparkplugs went into the head. Best thing in the world to remove 10mm valve cover or oil pan bolts on any motorcycle I ever worked on. And you never worried about the socket falling off either because it is all one piece!!!

Any Factory special tool that makes working on or taking apart any motorcycle you own. Even if you only use it once in the life of your bike. I have seen more people destroy expensive motor parts by not using the right factory tool.

Back in the day, the handiest tool I ever used was the factory Kawasaki special tool for removing valve shims from the Kz900/1000 motors. 57001-113 was the part number on that tool. None of that jam a wedge in to remove a shim. You could change all 8 valve shims in less than fifteen minutes with that tool!!!

A Safety-Kleen machine with their solvent!!! Using anything else is just so barbaric.

A motorcycle lift. Screw that crawling on the floor stuff when you get older!!!

I could go on, but these are the ones that jump to mind right away.

Comment

I also have a 4x6 foot remnant of a wrestling mat, about 1 1/4" thick, so I don't have to wear kneepads or kneel on concrete.

... and I can't forget this:

For aging eyeballs that don't focus properly anymore.

Last edited by robertbarr; 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    What is the technical name of this tool?

A: Fridge operator

B: Shop assistant

C: Late-night physical therapist

Does Harbor Freight carry them? I don't know if I can afford a new one, might have to go for used.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      What is the technical name of this tool?

A: Fridge operator

B: Shop assistant

C: Late-night physical therapist

Does Harbor Freight carry them? I don't know if I can afford a new one, might have to go for used.

Why, it's a right-angled comfort tool.
                      Last edited by Grimly; 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Her head's flat on top, can't see any teeth, but she might be a little tall.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Parts are clean!

What's white and lives in the kitchen, apparently they call them applicances.
                          I' m about to take some parts down to chromers and thought they were a bit grubby, and the wifes at work so who's to know.
                          She who must be obeyed is at work for the next 5 hours, and the dishwasher 3/4's full, so in go the side covers.
                          How long is a cycle on a dishwasher, don't know don't care, so long as it's finished by the time the missus gets home.
                          And I will probably earn Brownie points for doing the dishes, win win both ways I reckon.

Comment

I always keep a couple 1 foot pieces of 2x4 around. I'm lost without them.
                            Good for beating, blocking, levering, jacking,painting, throwing ....on and on.
                            Aside from that my pick set is indispensable. Broke a couple tips recently taking apart some piggyback shocks....will add some new ones to my set soon.

Sooo....What do you Canadians, Europeans and Australians call your countries equivalent of the U.S. 2x4? (Its a 1-1/2" x3-1/2" piece of standard construction framing lumber)

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
                              What's white and lives in the kitchen, apparently they call them applicances.
                              I' m about to take some parts down to chromers and thought they were a bit grubby, and the wifes at work so who's to know.
                              She who must be obeyed is at work for the next 5 hours, and the dishwasher 3/4's full, so in go the side covers.
                              How long is a cycle on a dishwasher, don't know don't care, so long as it's finished by the time the missus gets home.
                              And I will probably earn Brownie points for doing the dishes, win win both ways I reckon.
                              Postscript:
                              Forgot that dishwashing tablets contain caustic.
                              And now they have that dulled look, but not to worry some time on the buffer and chrome polish paste will bring them back to new and better.

Comment

1. Vernier caliper.
                                2. 1/4" drive torque wrench (yes, the little bolts matter too).
                                3. Folding allen key kit.
                                4. 2 1/2 lb. ball-pein hammer aka 'Big Al'.
                                5. Impact driver.
                                6. Multimeter.
                                7. Loctite (red and blue).
                                8. Networked computer (handy for eBay purchases away from wife's questions).
                                9. Arc welder.
                                10. Fire extinguisher (haven't used it yet, but it could come in handy).

Comment

Working...
                                X