Top 10 Favorite Tools you have or use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We call it "LOVE" ...

Whenever we need to get apart a well stuck something we get out this tool and give it a little tap...
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      My favorite tools....ones that work like they were designed too.
      Agreed! ONE tool, should do ONE job, and do it WELL!

Comment

Is there such a thing as JIS tap and die sets.... or do people just mean metric?

Comment

JIS taps and dies

Originally posted by Paul View Post
          Is there such a thing as JIS tap and die sets.... or do people just mean metric?
          Paul, there is a JIS standard for taps and dies, see the link and scroll down to the last 2 items shown.

Google JIS taps and you will get many results.

My set is a standard metric set and works well, but I think the JIS standard taps will make a thread that is a better fit for a JIS screw.

Cheers,
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Cresent wrench, 6&12"
            pliers, regular and needlenose
            "long" regular and skinny straight blade and fillips screw drivers
            3/8" socket set sae and metric
            open and closed wrenches
            Well that is more than 10 but can take apart and put back together most anything with them.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well my top two tools are:

1. coffee cup
              2. muffin tin

After that the two tools that I went without for years before breaking down and buying are:

1. guitar string winder
              2. chromatic tuner.

They save SO much time, especially for someone with several guitars and who hates changing strings.

Most of my mechanical tools are pretty mundane. The old air compressor that my uncle gave me IS quite handy though.

Some tools I really need to get are:

-bench grinder
              -impact wrench for lug nuts
              -tap and die set
              -heat gun
              -small parts washer
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                Paul, there is a JIS standard for taps and dies, see the link and scroll down to the last 2 items shown.

Google JIS taps and you will get many results.

My set is a standard metric set and works well, but I think the JIS standard taps will make a thread that is a better fit for a JIS screw.

Cheers,
                ah yes, I see now seems I need to save up for a new JIS set as I am using ISO at the moment.... a good set is not cheap from what I have found so far.... perhaps I should buy direct from Japan rather than local tool makers

the differences from what I can find are http://www.technixltd.com/prod2010/c/C104.pdf

Comment

I'm not sure what tap shank dimensions have to do with anything, but the main difference with JIS metric threads is that sizes 10mm and larger use different thread pitches than US and Euro metric threads.

There's a chart here:

Metric thread geometry for bolts and screws is the same worldwide, so there's no such thing as a JIS-specific tap or die -- just match the pitch and you're golden. Here in the metrically retarded US of damn A, it can be difficult to find the right taps and dies and fasteners.

There are some differences in JIS pipe threads vs. the rest of the world, but that doesn't really affect our bikes.

If you really want to geek out, there are detailed specs for thread fit and geometry here. Mostly useful to design engineers.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I'm not sure what tap shank dimensions have to do with anything, but the main difference with JIS metric threads is that sizes 10mm and larger use different thread pitches than US and Euro metric threads.

There's a chart here:

Metric thread geometry for bolts and screws is the same worldwide, so there's no such thing as a JIS-specific tap or die -- just match the pitch and you're golden. Here in the metrically retarded US of damn A, it can be difficult to find the right taps and dies and fasteners.

There are some differences in JIS pipe threads vs. the rest of the world, but that doesn't really affect our bikes.

If you really want to geek out, there are detailed specs for thread fit and geometry here. Mostly useful to design engineers.
                    http://www.marylandmetrics.com/tech/threadtech.pdf
                    thanks you have explained it perfectly, so really it is still plain old metric.
                    Cheers

Comment

A new tool I have recently added to my collection are these Vampliers they actually work really well so far. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/17...ers-tool-time/
                      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Speed Merchant
                        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          All the normal tools go without saying, so I'll list some I never really knew how valuable they are until I got them:

Heat gun- I could not survive without one
                          Real drifts- wow, what a difference to use a real drift instead of a big screwdriver
                          Step bits- expensive, but amazingly worth it
                          A good set of snap ring pliers- so much more superior to cheap ones
                          Strap wrenches- useful in a lot of ways
                          Allen bolt sockets, both bondhus and straight- sometimes the straight wrenches are useless
                          A good fuel siphon- I don't miss the occasional mouthful of gasoline
                          Mity-vac tools- awesome for bleeding brakes by yourself but also a ton of other uses
                          What brand of snap ring pliers do you have?
                          I'm looking for the offset ones for M/C rebuilds and changing the needle settings on CV carbs. Not sure if the offset ones sold at HF have enough reach and have not found any other place to buy a set.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

The Motion Pro 08-0279 snap ring pliers work great.

Comment

devcon epoxy gun. i got a box of tubes of devcon a few years ago as a tip on a job. been fixing anything that breaks with it for years.

that and wire wheels, both fixed and portable. wish i didn't need them but seem to use them alot whenever i work on my bikes.
                              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Right now my favorite tool of all time for ever and ever at this very moment is the HF Earthquake impact wrench I bought earlier this year on the advice of some of the members here, bought mainly to deal with stubborn lug nuts. While I didn't use it on the brake job I did today I ended up using it on the caliper holder retainer bolts (the thing that's in your way when you want to slide the rotors off). When I did the right side they involved banging on a breaker bar with a sledge hammer for several minutes, they eventually came off though. On the left side it involved banging UP from underneath on the breaker bar... I was getting nowhere fast. I was about to try prying on the bar with other bars wedged wherever I could get them (always a fun endeavor) when I remembered the air wrench. They were off in mere seconds, I could have saved a lot of time on the other side too. This wrench could really end up paying for itself in short order.
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X