Top 10 Favorite Tools you have or use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 10 Favorite Tools you have or use

I was thinking about all the new tools I have purchased (and borrowed) recently and what I still need to purchase for working on my Suzuki's.
    So of all the tools I have, which one is the most useful tool in my kit?
    Tough call, but here is 10 tools I couldn’t do without.

This list is more related to restoration rather than just maintenance
    (1) Complete Metric Tap & Die set,
    (2) Impact Driver
    (3) Screw Driver Sets, for JIS, Vessel & for Flat Blades, Wera
    (4) Good Metric Socket Sets in ¼” 3/8” & ½” drive.
    (5) Open Ended Wrench & Ring Spanner Set
    (6) Air Compressor
    (7) Multi meter
    (8) Helicoil Insert Kits with installation tools 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm & 14mm
    (9) Digital caliper
    (10) Articulating Mirror with magnetic end for picking up dropped bolts & nuts

Would like to have
    (1) Motorcycle Lift,
    (2) Bench Top Spray Paint Booth & Spray Equipment
    (3) Media Blasting Cabinet
    (4) Chain Tool
    (5) Parts Washer Station
    (6) Drill Press
    (7) Lathe
    (8) Better eyesight
    (9) More Patience
    (10) A big stash of NOS parts.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

All the usual tools are covered, but in terms of unusual tools, my favorites are:

- Tire changing stuff (I'll lump this all together). Really sets you free and saves a ton of cash. Make sure you get valve stem pullers and valve core removers. Plural, because you will lose one at the worst possible time.

- Motorcycle lift. Obvious.

- Hydraulic press. You don't need it often, but when you need it, you really need it. Fantastic way to stop bashing expensive delicate things with large hammers. Great for speeding up work on boring cars so you can get back to motorcycles.

- Three-foot phillips screwdriver -- only way to sync the throttle bodies on a V-Strom.

- Morgan Carbtune -- the only civilized way to sync everything with more than one carb/throttle body.

- 5/8" counterbore with 5/16" pilot used to face and finish the inside of tube-style alloy GS wheels to convert to tubeless. Indispensable if you need it. Puzzling if you don't.

- Shim kits and related gauges, tools, etc. for all your motorcycles. I hate waiting for maintenance parts.

- Chain tools -- side plate press, riveter, etc. Not all that unusual, I guess, but when you need 'em, you need 'em.

- Blind hole bearing puller set. Works great for wheel bearings and things stuck inside of other things.

- Taps and dies in appropriate JIS thread sizes were mentioned, but I'd definitely add a thread file -- it's a wonderful way to keep irreplaceable fasteners in service.

- High-quality die crimper and vast collection of high-quality terminals and heat shrink. Make dead-reliable aerospace-quality electrical connections in the comfort of your own garage. Solder is so 1890's. Lots of crap out there -- make sure you buy the good stuff. Grab a $9 heat gun from Harbor Freight.

- Custom-bent pry bar turned into a GS Steering Stem Bearing Thwacker.

- Dremel and a selection of cutting discs when even the mighty Thwacker is defeated.

- Long-reach circlip pliers. Needed for work on many carbs and master cylinders.

- Homemade valve spring compressor.

I'll think of more later...
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-06-2013, 07:58 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

You know one thing I always sort of 'mocked' but then finally bought one and it is definitely on my Top 10 list, the carbtune "carbtool". The other tool that I have that get sooooo much use out of and goes on every single 'ride and wrench' trip I do for people around Victoria.

It's crazy how many purposes this thing has, it's just 'one of those tools'. And a must have for carburetor rebuilding.

I think it's an eye piece from an old set of binoculars (I found it in an old box of bike parts years ago). Although if I thought I could get away with having your 'tool' in my shed for just one minute I 'might' trade my Carbtune carbtool and vacuum synch for her.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Dunno about a top 10, but here are my top 4, aside from the usual assortment of screwdrivers, sockets, and wrenches.

Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I bought the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift a few years ago... How did I ever live without it?

Gentlemen do not lay on the ground while servicing their motorcycles!

Comment

I agree with all of the above, but I do have one question:

What's a "chain tool"?

(Before you chastize me, note the list of bikes in my sig, and YES, I do know what one is. )

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I agree with all of the above, but I do have one question:

What's a "chain tool"?

(Before you chastize me, note the list of bikes in my sig, and YES, I do know what one is. )

It's something you do not need to know about, it's only for real motorcycles that are chain driven.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

ball-end allen wrench set.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                    It's something you do not need to know about, it's only for real motorcycles that are chain driven.
                    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I picked this up a few years ago at Home Depot ( Husky" brand) and it is very useful in tight places, such as, removing the cam chain tensioner without pulling the carbs. I used to use a very cheap version of a ratcheting screw driver when I installed comerical door hardware on a regular basis. I like it so much I have two. One on the bike and one in my truck for use at work.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Handy Lift
                        Press
                        Garage fridge with optional microwave on top.
                        Hitachi impact for small stuck fasteners.
                        Hand impact for normal size stuck fasteners.
                        Hammer collection for the rest.
                        Welder, torches.
                        Tire tools.
                        Extra bikes to ride when working on one of them.
                        My beautiful shop assistant.

And the number one most important tool of all.....
                        The GSR including Cliff's page for imformation that is sadly lacking elsewhere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Suzuki specific valve adjustment kit. Love it for my 16 valve stuff and my tig welder. Vice grips for the kids

Comment

I like my 3/8 drive ball alen wrenches. wish they were 1/4 drive though.
                            Might have to buy a lift though.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Repco 1/2" ratchet and socket set. Beautiful *and* functional.

Diesel oil. Not really a tool but it works wonders in engines.

50/50 ATF/Kerosene mix. Best antiseize known to man.

Phone camera for rebuilds.

Metal polish.

Also a small 1/4" drive socket and screwdriver set. Came in a hardcase and was only a few bucks but is great for those small, akward, fiddly jobs.

- boingk

Comment

Working...
                              X