No announcement yet.

Longer kickstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same issue. I opted to go for the weld a something on the one ive got route. Made a steel heel out of some scrap and it works perfectly. Provides the correct angle to keep it from tipping the other way and ease the load when standint it up. If you do go this way be sure to set the welder really hot you your welds adhere to the cast kickstand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
      I had the same issue. I opted to go for the weld a something on the one ive got route. Made a steel heel out of some scrap and it works perfectly. Provides the correct angle to keep it from tipping the other way and ease the load when standing it up. If you do go this way be sure to set the welder really hot you your welds adhere to the cast kickstand.
      bwringer has a welder he is just itching to use. What is a "steel heel"? Would you mind posting a picture of it?
      Mine is so bad that the only thing I use the sidestand for is dismounting. Once dismounted, I put it on the centerstand. 100% of the time. A real PITA.
      Thanks, Tim Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
        I had the same issue. I opted to go for the weld a something on the one ive got route. Made a steel heel out of some scrap and it works perfectly. Provides the correct angle to keep it from tipping the other way and ease the load when standint it up. If you do go this way be sure to set the welder really hot you your welds adhere to the cast kickstand.
        If mine is too worn, I may go the welding route. I've looked at some of the ones on ebay and they look pretty rough.

Comment

It looks like a hockey puck 'cos that's what it is...

Did you know that most hockey pucks these days are made in the Czech Republic?

The process of making hockey pucks is rather fascinating.
          Last edited by bwringer; 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There's a guy on the V-Strom forum who welded an old sprocket to his kickstand in a similar way.

If you're not into hockey pucks, any chunk of steel welded or bolted to the kickstand would work to make the "foot" of the kickstand a little taller, and it's a lot safer than cutting the kickstand in the middle and welding in an extension -- if the weld or bolt breaks, you still have a kickstand.

Before you get too far, make sure your kickstand bolt is in good shape -- I've seen a couple of bikes leaning way too far over simply because the bolt was about to fall out. Also make sure the kickstand and its frame bracket aren't bent or cracked.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              There's a guy on the V-Strom forum who welded an old sprocket to his kickstand in a similar way.

If you're not into hockey pucks, any chunk of steel welded or bolted to the kickstand would work to make the "foot" of the kickstand a little taller, and it's a lot safer than cutting the kickstand in the middle and welding in an extension -- if the weld or bolt breaks, you still have a kickstand.

Before you get too far, make sure your kickstand bolt is in good shape -- I've seen a couple of bikes leaning way too far over simply because the bolt was about to fall out. Also make sure the kickstand and its frame bracket aren't bent or cracked.
              Those are good pointers. Once hubby puts it on the center stand, I can get a closer look at the state of affairs.

Comment

My steel heel was just a scrap bit of 1/8" wall square tube. Used a big hammer to shape it so it fit on the kickstand better, welded on a bottom plate, then welded the heel to the kickstand. Presto a steel heel. I`ll try and find a picture later tonight. Its crude but very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                  I'll have hubby put it up on the center stand for me and take a look.

Hey now, you need to learn how to do that! A lady friend I used to ride with had bought a fairly new BMW R1100S I believe, said she couldn't get it up on the center stand. The guy who owned the dealership wouldn't let her ride off until she got it up on the centerstand by herself. She learned the trick.
                  Last edited by mrbill5491; 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Hey now, you need to learn how to do that! A lady friend I used to ride with had bought a fairly new BMW R1100S I believe, said she couldn't get it up on the center stand. The guy who owned the dealership wouldn't let her ride off until she got it up on the centerstand by herself. She learned the trick.
                    I've had the bike since 1985 and everyone has told me every trick in the book to get it up on the center stand and demonstrated them. Every single trick seems to involve being taller than 5' 1 1/2" and weighing more than 100 pounds.

The BMW salesman would have lost the sale if he tried that with me. The Suzuki salesman demonstrated how to put the bike up on the stand and then said with my size, it would be safer to have someone else do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                      I've had the bike since 1985 and everyone has told me every trick in the book to get it up on the center stand and demonstrated them. Every single trick seems to involve being taller than 5' 1 1/2" and weighing more than 100 pounds.

The BMW salesman would have lost the sale if he tried that with me. The Suzuki salesman demonstrated how to put the bike up on the stand and then said with my size, it would be safer to have someone else do it for me.
                      Hmmm, maybe cutting the center stand down just a bit might work for ya? Have your hubby set it up and measure how much space you between the bottom of the rear tire and the ground. You might be able to shave an inch or so off and make it easier to at least get it up. Sometimes you just need the stability of the center stand offers parking in some places.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X