replacing airbox boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing airbox boots

I'm new to this forum thing so I'll take all the help you can dish out. I've got a 81 GS1100E that I will be replacing the intake & airbox boots. They're very cracked and hard. Found them at Bike Bandit. The diagram shows a ring that goes inside the airbox boot. Do I need an special tools to remove/replacethat ring? I've looked for this info. and probably missed it.

Originally posted by tim1964 View Post
    I'm new to this forum thing so I'll take all the help you can dish out. I've got a 81 GS1100E that I will be replacing the intake & airbox boots. They're very cracked and hard. Found them at Bike Bandit. The diagram shows a ring that goes inside the airbox boot. Do I need an special tools to remove/replacethat ring? I've looked for this info. and probably missed it.
    No, just carefully pry it out with a screw driver, pretty sure those are the split rings, so you can reuse them. Just pull them apart a bit and reinstall with the new boot, that is what I did with mine. When I ordered the new boots thought I would get new rings, big mistake, the rings were changed and are of the solid type and no longer split and damn near impossible to install with new rubber. I just put my old rings back in and they work just fine. Word of caution, Bike Bandit is not a favorable place here to buy parts from. Partsoutlaw/Partszilla or Z1 Enterprises are one of the better choices.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GRAND ROUGE
      no special tool required......the ring is of course re usable from the original installation. I recently replaced both sets of boots on my 83 E. When you get the box on the bench I am thinking you will see how it all works. The ring is there, as I figure you know, to insure that the intake boots seal tightly around the air box openings. I cut the boots flush with the box, rings easy to dislodge. When re installing, I did spray just a bit of WD 40 to make the installation / seating of the new part easier. The ring install was (essentially) push in at a slight angle, WD or a spray lube will be your friend here, and using a lot of controlled force with both thumbs (rings are thin and somewhat sharp so you may modify the pushing in place technique) and press em home. Take note of how the ring sits in the boot.....bit of a lip.
      Yup what he said.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Mine on my 80 Gs1100E aren't split and they are a bitch to change. By the time youre done youll have the hang of it. Patience, a little lube, & 2 screw drivers pushing them in

Comment

Looks like you have the answer but if you need some pics take a look at my blog: My Gs1100 Blog - Aibox dismantling

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I looked but not in the right place I guess. Soon as I get back from overseas I'll get 'em changed out along with the multitude of other things I need/want to do to get on the road. My box must be grungy 'cause I've never seen those rings. I like the picture. thanks. Z-1 is already on my list for the 530 chain conversion.

Comment

Working...
            X